Thread: 2nd labour n birth does it get easier?

Question 2nd labour n birth does it get easier?

Hi every1!

I had my first bub not long ago, my bub was delivered via vacuum. The whole experience of labour and birth, wasnt dat great for me the vacuum was very uncomfortable and painful (even having an epidural).

I do want a 2nd baby down the track, but im scared of goin through it again...

Tell me those women whos had more dan one baby does labour and birth gets any easier??

For me... it definitely got easier... the pains are still the same, but because I had BTDT, I knew what to expect and it became a lot easier to deal with.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Kaz - I would have to say definately.

I had a VERY long labour and forcep delivery, for which the epidural wasn't working. I felt very much like you and was really anxious about getting pregnant again, purely cause I couldn't go through that experience again.

I made sure I learnt lessons, looked into all of my options, and had fantastic support ( aside from DH). I would suggest doing lots of research and think about hiring a support person either a midwife or a Doula.

I am now 31 weeks pregnant with No 3 and can't wait for this labour as I truly enjoyed my 2nd birth, it was amazing and liberating.

Geez I hope so, I only had a 2 and a half hour labour from start to finish with no complications and no drugs, so another one like that would be oh, so sweet

I think I'm the exception to the rule because my second birth turned into a c-section.
    That said, I was definately more confident and empowered the second time around so even though the outcome wasn't what I wanted I didn't feel so traumatised by the hospital experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dachlostar View Post
    I think I'm the exception to the rule because my second birth turned into a c-section.
    That said, I was definately more confident and empowered the second time around so even though the outcome wasn't what I wanted I didn't feel so traumatised by the hospital experience.
    Same thing happened to me.
    But it was an emergency c/section so I did labour before it - and the labour part was much, much quicker the second time.
    I dilated to 7cm in a few hours, where in my first labour to get that far it took me about 12 hours.
    I think had I not had the c/section my second birth would have been much shorter, if not easier but there's no way of knowing.
    Birth can be a bit unpredictable

I had a great birth and labour first time round and cant wait to do it all again!

MUST have been ok... i was pg again only 7 weeks later!

My labours have gotten quicker and the pushing part easier BUT the contractions were more intense and painful for my third.

Bit of a toss up really but I think I'd prefer a bit a longer labour but not quite as painful IYKWIM.

I was not as scared in the second labour although actually went much longer at 19 hours compared to that of my first labour with twins of 9 hours.

I guess you just can't really predict how things are going to go, every birth is different...mother nature has a great sense of humour!

Pheonix

Not for me.
    I laboured for 13 hours before having a emergency c-section, through-out this and after i was extremly upset (this lasted for over a week). I think because i never prepared myself for it, i thought because i'd given birth before it'd be similar, quicker and also eaiser (thats what i'd heard), Emily's was longer and not a experenice i want again (apart from the end of it - getting her!) altough she was put in special care for 3 days as well, i just never expected that to happen, even now if i talk about Emily's birth i get a little upset. So, i will prepare myself for anything to happen next time!

Hi every1!

Thanx for ur replies keep em comin i guess ill just never know! i guess because my body had gone through it da first, hopefully it would have gotten used to it for the second time I would really would like to have a another one down the track. I have a really low pain tolerance, i give credits to those women whose had a bub and more