Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antenatal Classes, Bris

Default Antenatal Classes, Bris

After a discussion in another thread, I was wondering if anyone knows of any free antenatal classes in Brisbane?

If it's just general antenatal classes your after, most hospitals have some sort of class available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2two View Post
    If it's just general antenatal classes your after, most hospitals have some sort of class available.
    Mater Mothers (the hospital I'm booked into) does but I have to pay for it, and simply cannot afford it. Or do you mean go to another that I'm not booked into and ask to join theirs? Will they let me do that?
    Last edited by Calluna; April 15th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.

If you can't afford an antenatal class then maybe ask your midwife to give you a lesson or two. My firend was too late in booking into her class so a middy went through everything with her in person.

Bekz - I didn't think of that, I'll ask at my next appointment. Thanks

Still need antenatal classes

Heva are you going to the Mater Private?

They charge for antenatal classes but as far as I'm aware, if you're booked into the Mater Public they run a different class, and it's free.

There is nothing else free in Brisbane except for public hospital classes unfortunately.

Tobilly - I am going to Mater public, but the classes are about $35 each I think (cant remember exactly how much but something like that) and I wanted to do a couple of them as they cover different area's.

Sorry you can't find any classes. Are you going to have a baby shower? If so maybe you could ask your friends to shout you to some classes. I feel they are really important, especially the breastfeeding classes.

Bekz- We might have a family baby shower but I was thinking it'd be better to do that after bubs is born, so we know the gender and sizes and don't get stuff we wont use and we can use that opportunity to introduce it to everyone.

The other thing is getting to the classes, I'd like DP to come with me to them (and need him to take me anyway, as I have no other means of transport) but he's at TAFE full time. So we'd only be able to go on weekends or after 5pm-ish.

I'm also reluctant to go because I have a pretty intense fear of real life social situations, so I think I definitely need DP there for moral support.
    I know it's important, but I can't make myself to do it.
    Half the time I don't know if I'm just making excuses to not go or if my reasons are valid.

I missed most of my classes due to prem birth. So i'd never seen a labour room when i walked in to give birth.

My hosp had lactation consultant visit me after birth for no charge and the nurses also had a checklist of stuff they were suppose to teach me befor ei left like bathing etc. DD was in the nursey for 2 wks and i clearly knew how to handle a baby but if you didn't they would have run through it.

As for the actual birth, i remembered nothing from the class i did attend. they had gone through pain med, contractions etc which all ended up being irrelevant for me. I was induced so never felt natual contractions and my sign of labour was pretty obvious with a pop and a gush.

Most useful stuff about not pushing too early etc came prior reading and talking to ther people.

Try not to stress too much! I didn't end up going to any classes (I was in denial about my pregnancy and didn't actually see a doctor until almost 7 months) and managed a drug-free birth with no tears, cuts or need for stitches. If you can't afford it then I would suggest reading a bunch of stuff -- that is all I did. The most important thing I found out was that when it starts to sting, don't push and wait for yourself to stretch. I feel that is how I avoided tearing!! Just trust yourself and your body, it was made to do this. If you ever want to talk then just PM me -- I'm also 21 and in Brissy!!

Take care xo

Quote Originally Posted by Heva5 View Post
    Tobilly - I am going to Mater public, but the classes are about $35 each I think (cant remember exactly how much but something like that) and I wanted to do a couple of them as they cover different area's.
    Really? I can't believe they're charging for public antenatal classes now

If it's any consolation you're not really missing much. I've been to the Mater classes a few times with both my own kids and occasionally with clients - just like most other hospital classes they don't tell you much about anything except pain relief and where to park the car They have to cater to a diverse group - some of whom are having elective c's or planning an epidural on arrival at hospital - so the natural birth information isn't a big focus.

You'll do much better getting your hands on your own reading material and educating yourself anyway. There's a forum here for labour and birth book recommendations that has some great suggestions and the articles on the main site are good too. Google articles by Sarah Buckley, Ina May Gaskin, Sheila Kitzinger or Janet Balaskas for some really good natural birth information.

Don't worry you'll be fine

Bugger, someone offered to lend me a copy of "birth" a few weeks ago, I meant to get back to them and accept their but I forgot and now I cant find the post/ email/ pm that said it. stupid preggo brain.

ETA never mind, found it.
    Last edited by Calluna; April 30th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.

It was Sara who offered you the book sweets. I am sure she'll oblige if you pm her.

As I said in a previous post I would tell your midwife your situation and ask her to go through some things that you need to know. Personally I did not remember much but my DH remembered heaps and that helped me when I was in labour. I would also suggest your partner read some information about labour support, life with a new baby and how to support mum.

I would also get a book on breastfeeding or again ask your middy for some pamphlets etc. Once you give birth make sure you are very persistant and demand a lactation consulatant be with you at every feed until you are comfortable.

From there I would get hold of a good child health nurse (one that has lactation experience and one that you like) and keep going to her.

You've got me thinking Heva about how we can help you get some eduction about birth etc.

Would you like us to help you make a list of questions to ask the middy?

For instance:

You need to know about pain relief options and the hospitals policy?
    You need to all about induction if they request one for you (and you need to know that you that you have the choice in this situation)
    You need to know about c-section and when and why the hospital will recommend you have one.

Hi Heather!

I've PM you back about the book. You can definately borrow it. I have a few other books that might be beneficial aswell.

I also had a thought that if your Midwife can't help you than maybe you could call a few Independent Midwives and ask if they would be willling to do some education. Some MAY be willing to do the eduation for a cheaper fee. Some Doula's also do some education.

Other books you could borrow, which I have, is called "Up the Duff" by Kazz Cooke. Its a funny breakdown of some of things women like to know when they are pregnant.

Like I said, I have a pretty good library of books which you can have a skim through and take whatever picks your fancy.

Take Care!
    x

Bekz - A list of q's to ask would be fantastic.

Sara - Very interested in the other books, where abouts do you live? I cant imagine how much it would cost to post books, they're so heavy.

I'm a bit worried ill get into trouble (as childish as that sounds) from the MW for not doing antenatal classes.
    DP hates reading and I have to really nag him to read anything, let alone a book. lol What can I do?

ETA - just read PM... I'll talk to DP and let you know.

ETA2 - Thanks heaps xox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast