Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoiding tears - is it possible?

This is all very good to know - I now have to think about things and talk to my OB. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Loula View Post
    My MW said that women who get a lot of stretchmarks are at more risk of tearing, do not how much of the truth is in that but she would see more than I
    I got about 400 billion stretchmarks and didn't tear at all ... everyone's different.

But then I put on a LOT of weight when I get pregnant, and all 3 births I've been able to move to whatever position was least unpleasant.

My DD didn't read my birth plan lol

Tearing/epi was my biggest fear but I got lazy and didn't do anything I had planned like massage etc......I ended up being induced, having an epidural, birthing on the bed - though it had a bit that dropped down that made it like a squat position and a vontouse delivery - so basically everything working against me and I ended up with only a minor graze, but I did have a great Ob & midwife who really coached me through the pushing. She was 3.16kgs so average sized.

Interesting about the stretchmark/tearing thing - I got one stretchmark on my side, but my bb's are like road maps!

Quote Originally Posted by Loula View Post
    My MW said that women who get a lot of stretchmarks are at more risk of tearing, do not how much of the truth is in that but she would see more than I
    Doh, I was going to try and avoid tearing when I go for #3 after being 2 for 2 but if thats true i'm buggered.

In saying that from my perspective, yes I tear, but I also heal quickly.

I do agree it's one of those things were you can prepare as much as you like but it may still happen, doesn't hurt to prevent, but don't be too hard on yourself if you still tear.

From my own experience though if you do tear, minimum of 2 showers a day, gentle drying - ultra thin pad while you dry the rest of yourself can help, and only drink water, even the slightest acidity comes out your wee and ouch!

Anyone tried the Epi-No? I've heard it helps, but haven't heard anything directly from anyone who's actually used one.

Quote Originally Posted by RumpledElf View Post
    I got about 400 billion stretchmarks and didn't tear at all ... everyone's different.

But then I put on a LOT of weight when I get pregnant, and all 3 births I've been able to move to whatever position was least unpleasant.
    Yep im sure everyone is different that why she said its more likly but not a given, i questions how much this would be true, after all everyone is different as is every pg and every birth. x

Quote Originally Posted by Yeddi View Post
    Anyone tried the Epi-No? I've heard it helps, but haven't heard anything directly from anyone who's actually used one.
    What is an Epi-No?

I tore pretty badly in the birth canal with dd2, it was a fast labour and we think i wasn't fully dilated. No one was expecting me to push so we don't know for sure. She was very little at 2.75kgs.

This time my waters broke on their own and we knew it was going to be fast so the midwives were prepared and could see I was fully dilated. I was able to deliver a 4.4kg baby with no tear this time.

Making sure your body is ready and that you relax into the ctx rather than tensing up seems to make a big difference.

with my last bub I had a 2nd degree tear, but my second stage was only 2 minutes, so nothing had time to strech gradually, lol. I had stiches, but healed very quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
    What is an Epi-No?
    It's a little pump (almost like a blood pressure pump) that has a balloon on the end of it. You insert the balloon and pump to it just starts to sting and leave it there for ten minutes. Each day you try and expand it a little more until you get to 10cm and then you just practice pushing it out. I've heard it reduces tears, but haven't tried it myself.

Is that safe...the Epi-No? I ask because I'd be awfully scared of sticking something up the business end of things at any stage - especially something that could theoretically POP and push air into you uterus.

Quote Originally Posted by buliej View Post
    I'd be awfully scared of sticking something up the business end of things at any stage - especially something that could theoretically POP and push air into you uterus.
    That, is a very good point. Hadn't thought about it. I'm guessing though, the balloon would be fairly thick and it would be unlikely to pop - but that's still a risk.

My OB recommended it. I've heard conflicting reports about its effectiveness however - on the whoel I think it's probably a marketing scam. I used it but then ended up with an episiotomy anyway
    The biggest risk with using it, as I understand, is you try to stretch too much and tear pre-birth. You will stretch better during labour due to the hormones.

Can you imagine - tearing a few days before birth - and then birthing - eeks... I'm getting the sense that as much as we wish we could do something to prevent this, it's mainly luck in terms of our individual elasticity! (putting aside interventions that can increase the risk)

check out this web link re high doses of vitamin C, but bear in mind your ob will probably just dismiss it as it wont fit with their medicalised view of things..
    its an old article but i doubt much research has been done on it since then - why would the medical profession want to when it makes no money for them? sorry i have a pretty pessmistic view of doctors unfortunately.
    food for thought anyway.
    i wouldnt do what the article suggests without consulting a naturopath though, and plan to discuss it with my naturopath at appointment next week. with vit C as it has a laxative effect, you would need to build up gradually.
    ive also read water birth is good for preventing tearing, and as others have mentioned already - perineal massage.

http://happybub.com/content/view/55/71/1/3/
    Last edited by tinkerbelle; August 26th, 2010 at 05:51 PM.

Yeah, you're probably about right bulie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12