Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth Preferences

Default Birth Preferences

I thought there was a section to post this, but can't find it so I'll post this here (so if it needs to be moved go for it) We plan on having a HypnoBirthing VBAC, and this is the preferences for that, should we have an emergency C/S we have a second page of birth preferences.

VBAC Birth Preferences
    Of Cailin

Dear Staff

Our desire is to give birth vaginally with little medical intervention as possible. We have chosen the HypnoBirthing Method of quiet, relaxed, natural birth. Please see attatched form for more information.

We plan to have the following people constantly present: Marc (Father) and Kelly Zantey (Birth Attendant) and also to be present should a medical emergency arise and a caesarean is performed.

Others who may be present depending on the type of birth, or stages of birth: *Insert Name* (Paternal Grandmother), Paris (Sibling – in care of MIL), *Insert Name* (Paternal Aunt), *Insert Name* (Friend - if where Paternal Grandmother or Aunt cannot be present).

We ask that the following preferences be adhered to where possible, and where not possible we are to be informed beforehand with a detailed explanation as to why.

• Subdued Lighting
    • Please honour our wishes for minimal disruption.
    • Please refrain from reference to pain or hurt.
    • No suggestions of analgesics or anaesthetics unless required in a medical emergency or specifically requested.
    • To be advised of all medical procedures before they are undertaken.
    • If a decision needs to be made in regards to any medical procedures, we would like to be informed and allowed privacy to discuss these options before making any decision. Please do not ask the mother to make any decisions immediately, especially during a contraction.
    • No references to present time, time taken or progression are to be made directly to the mother. This information should be passed onto the father and Birth Attendant only.
    • In the case of an emergency caesarean please see attached “Caesarean Birth Preferences”.
    • To birth in an atmosphere of gentle encouragement during the final pushing stage.
    • To maintain membranes intact unless there is a medical necessity to rupture.
    • Immediate skin-to-skin contact with baby placed on the mothers stomach with no wrapping of baby.
    • Umbilical cord to be left to pulsate rather than to be clamped and cut straight away.
    • Father to cut umbilical cord.
    • To allow (if possible) 30-40 minutes for natural placenta delivery. NO cord traction, manual removal, massage or injection for removal of placenta unless necessary.
    • We would like to keep the placenta. So please be sure to make the appropriate arrangements with us.
    • Please use a soft cloth between baby and the weight scales.
    • APGAR and all exams are to be performed with one or both parents present.
    • To encourage breastfeeding, we would prefer not to use bottles, formula, pacifiers or artificial nipples unless required after discussion with us.
    • No medical procedure to be performed on the baby, including vaccination, without our consent.
    • Vitamin K to be given orally.
    • Baby to be bathed by both parents.

Whilst this plan outlines our preferences for birth we understand that not all births go to plan and in certain medical emergencies not all preferences can be undertaken. However in these situations we as the parents would still like to be informed.

These preferences have been viewed and accepted by our Obstetrician Dr. Lionel H. Steinberg.

Signed:

____________________ ____________________ ____________________
    *Insert Parents Names & Dr*
    Edited to add Cesarean Birth Preferences

Emergency Caesarean Birth Preferences
    Of Cailin

Dear Staff

In the case of an emergency caesarean we have outlined the following preferences.

We plan to have the following people constantly present: Marc (Father) and Kelly Zantey (Birth Attendant).

We ask that the following preferences be adhered to where possible, and where not possible we are to be informed beforehand with a detailed explanation as to why.

• We would prefer that a spinal epidural is given and that the mother remain conscious during the operation
    • If under an emergency situation and a general anaesthetic is needed, then we wish for the baby to be given to Marc (Father) straight after the birth and held by him until Cailin (Mother) is conscious. In that time the father will have skin-to-skin contact at all times.
    • If possible both parents would like to view the birth by having the screen lowered or a mirror positioned for optimum viewing.
    • We would like to be informed by a verbal description of the birth as it is happening. We would like the parents to remain a part of the birth and to not be treated as though they are not present.
    • Although we understand that the cord cannot continue to pulsate for as long as it is possible with a vaginal birth, we would still appreciate it if the cord can be left to pulsate as long as possible.
    • We would like the baby to be placed on the mother as soon as possible, unclothed in their naked newborn state and if either require it, a blanket placed over both baby and mother.
    • Cailin (Mother) would like to try to feed her baby whilst she is being sutured, and where possible for the baby to be kept with her during the surgery and also during recovery.
    • We would like to keep the placenta. So please be sure to make the appropriate arrangements with us.
    • APGAR and all exams are to be performed with one or both parents present.
    • To encourage breastfeeding, we would prefer not to use bottles, formula, pacifiers or artificial nipples unless required after discussion with us.
    • No medical procedure to be performed on the baby, including vaccination, without our consent.
    • Vitamin K to be given orally.
    • Baby to be bathed by both parents.

Whilst this plan outlines our preferences for birth we understand that not all births go to plan and in certain medical emergencies not all preferences can be undertaken. However in these situations we as the parents would still like to be informed.

These preferences have been viewed and accepted by our Obstetrician Dr. Lionel H. Steinberg.

Signed:

____________________ ____________________ ____________________
    *Insert Parents Names & Dr*
    *hugs*
    Cailin

Wow Cailin, you have obviously put so much thought into this. It is so well written and concise.

I did not even realise that vitamin K could be given orally, I always thought is was only injectable. Can I ask why you don't want it given by injection? (you don't have to answer that if you don't want).

I really hope the staff adhere to this for you.

If I may suggest, something you might want to consider that we had in our birth plan. It is common practice to cut the cord immediately if the baby is at all unwell after the birth, in order to move them to a heated resuscitaire and perform any resuscitation.

As our IPM told us when we were writing our birth plan, from a midwifery point of view, this is a senseless waste of a very important resource - oxygenated blood that will continue to pulsate through the cord until the baby is breathing strongly on their own. So we incorporated into our birth plan a request that wherever possible, any initial resuscitation efforts be commenced without cutting the cord.

Maybe this is something you could discuss with your midwife/ves.

Thanks schmickers thats great to know I'll talk to my ob about it tomorrow

sherie most people don't know that vitamin K can be given orally My hypnobirthing instructor told us. The main reason for us is we don't want to add any extra discomfort to our bubs for the first 24 hours or so. We want his entrance to the world to be as comfortable as possible and with as little poking and prodding as possible. Hence the cloth on the scales also. So for us one less injection is part of that process. I hope that makes sense?

*hugs*
    Cailin

That makes perfect sense Cailin. At the hospital I went to one of the Midwives won't give babies the heel ***** because she thought it was cruel. She only gives the vitamin K because it is a necessity.

kirsty Guest

Cailin that is so well written, guess you guys will be needing it before too much longer.

I believe from the pamphlets I was given to read by my hospital, that the Vitamin K can be giving via 1 injection or three oral doses on certain days.

P.S - Cailin what an amazing birth plan you have there...I'm sure if Seth could voice his approval right now he would! *L*

Thanks guys

I've updated it to include the cesarean birth preferences.

Just wanted to say too, alot of preferences that we have already checked out and confirmed with the hospital, ie. taking our own music etc we have left out because the less that there is then the more likely it will get read So we have chosen not to state the obvious and just go with those preferences that may not be "the norm" iykwim?

*hugs*
    Cailin

OK, have read the second part. Again, so concise Cailin. I'm glad you have the minor details like music etc sorted out beforehand, because they are the ones most likely to be forgotten IYKWIM?

There's a great thread about birth plans here.

Ok thanks chloe, I thought there was one, I just couldn't find it! I lock this now And repost over there!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ok I'm reopening this thread because the thread on birth plans no longer exists!

*hugs*
    Cailin

perfect!! thanks heaps

Cailin, which hospital were you at?

Cailin, I was told that they "weren't allowed" to give no vit K or oral vit K with forceps/vacuum/c-section birth... is that the practice at your hospital?

Ryn, nope I wasn't told that at all. And my Ob signed that on both the c/s and vbac preferences.

Ray, we went to Frances Perry.

And I have to say everything was followed.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cailin, thanks very much. You have given me a lot to think about!

Cailin, great birth prefernces, very well written. I hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' some of it I started our birth preferences some months ago, but have gotten sidetracked lately, been a bit worried about bub. Reading this has reminded me to get going on it again before I run out of time!

I am going to FPH too. I noticed that you said they followed everything, did you have any problems with any aspect of the plans, or was it all implemented well, without any questions? Obviously alot of it is to be discussed with the Ob too, but I'm interested in how the hospital responded to your requests. If you don't mind me asking, was Seth given the hep B injection in hopsital?

Also, do you have any tips about what to take etc to the hossy? Sorry if that's too many questions . Thanks so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast