View Poll Results: Giving birth is a natural process that should not be interfered with unless absolutely medically nec

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with this statement

93 75.61%
  • I disagree with this statement

12 9.76%
  • Unsure

18 14.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birth - Your view...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Birth - Your view...

What are your thoughts on this statement:

"Giving birth is a natural process that should not be interfered with unless absolutely medically necessary"

I recently read some survey results where this was posted elsewhere in the US and I was extremely surprised at the response...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I agree with this statement too...
    Had Indah not stopped breathing & not aspired meconium, the midwives would have jusat been there to cheer me on (so to speak).

With DD#1 we were not really left alone at all, to labour, but I ended up being induced due to Maddison stressing out & myself not knowing what, where, how or who I wanted to be doing etc...

With DD#2, we went in to labour ward was assessed at what was happening & left to buzz at my own will, Mum, Dh & I were left in the labour room for a good hour alone for me to walk around & just breath through my contractions at 12 (midnight) I felt something more was happening & the midwife came in to check the situation, my waters broke by them selves as I climbed up on bed & the midwive kept encouraging me wasnt til a few min's later they couldnt detect Indah's HB betc that they started doing the necessary things to deliver me a healthy beautiful baby girl... I enjoyed the experience so much more!!!

I agree with this statement 100%

If i had know when i was pg with #1 what i know now, i would never have needed the c-section, i am doing even more research this time and i will not have anything done that is not medically necessary

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh I totally agree. Our bodies are designed to do their own thing, with regards to childbirth. Birth isn't like a disease or an illness, it's a natural process. Animals give birth without intervention we shouldn't HAVE TO have intervention unless it's necessary either.

Kell - the response from the US doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If those birth programmes on Foxtel are anything to go by, the highly medicalised birth is very popular there.

I saw one the other day where the patient said to the doctor "I want to get up and walk around to help with the pain". He said "Why would you want to do that?"

:shock:

I do agree with the statement and in hindsight, that was exactly how my births were (expect for Paige's towards the end).

I also ticked "unsure". While I agree that ideally, birth shuld be as natural as possible, if I hadn't gone with my intuition and agreed to have a C-Section for my second child Zeke, he would have died during birth due to severe congenital heart defects that were not picked up on any ultrasound beforehand.

So even though there was a medical reason, it was an "unknown" one when I made my decision. At the time, I just felt really strongly that I had to have a C-Section, regardless of the risks involved.

I agreed, but not sure I really fit into that category either. If you look at my reason for a C/S it wasn't absolutely medically necessary. But in my case it was the best thing to do & I don't regret it....so I'm not sure what my answer should have been...

But doulas don't do that Fletch They support you for the birth you choose. Not that many women wanting elective caesareans feel that a doula is necessary but some do.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Click my sig and find out Plenty of doula articles on the main site too, even in the men's section now!

We'll push a woman if that's what she wants, that's why we meet with them prior to birth to acertain exactly what she wants. I haven't had one person complain that I pushed them too hard. My teacher confesses to being a ***** (in a nice way of course) but that's why she gets so many women wanting her support (I would love her at my next birth) - she'll push them to the max and that's why they love her. Each to their own though, we all want our own experiences.

With changing your mind about drugs, you have to establish with the woman what her 'red light' is. We learn all this in our course, we don't just waltz on in proclaiming to be experts or know what's best - training is well developed in this area to learn the art of support. We are not experts on medicine and only learn about support and they way birth can be if left alone, of course when also to require the need of intervention. If we weren't good at it, no-one would be doing it and it wouldn't be growing so fast as a profession too... and given a recent survey that has just circulated in birth circles, more women are feeling pressured for intervention including caesars. So what do you do if you don't have support? You agree thinking that's the only option for you.

So yes, depends on the birth you want, the majority of women wanting a doula want a natural birth and want to be pushed

ps. In the US survey I saw, only 45% agreed with the statement. Now that is scary...
    Kelly xx

You can have a Doula no matter what birth you have, most of the births I have attended have been under the care of public or private Obs. Your Ob will only be there when you are pushing, if he makes it.

The whole idea of a Doula is to be there during those crucial parts when you don't have anyone there, i.e. most of your labour unless you are being monitored by midwives. The way you labour and the experience you have during this time makes all the difference for the outcome. If you have a Doula there supporting you and pushing you, then you are more likely to get your vaginal birth and much less intervention - I am sure you have read the stats.

If you don't have anyone there supporting, motivating and pushing you (if thats what you want), you are more likely to agree to pain relief and intervention. It's just like a personal trainer. With a good support and 'coach' you can achieve much more.
    Kelly xx

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly
    Your Ob will only be there when you are pushing, if he makes it.
    Interesting, the Ob that I had wasn't there most of the time just popped in and out, most of the time whilst I was pushing I just had a midwife, who was wonderful and most lovely

Yeah Obs don't often make the pushing in my experience as a mother or Birth Attendant LOL!!! When you are pushing everyone else is there but the OB ROFL... Of course your midwife will be there when pushing, I don't make it my job to be catching babies Although I do know of a few Doulas who had to catch the baby as no-one else was available!!! What an honour that would be. I'll have to wait a few years to do that, I am hoping to study midwifery too, but I think I would miss being a Birth Attendant. I like being there from start to finish, I would hate to see a woman from the start of labour but not be there for her during the birth or after

Just thought I better clarify too, all Doulas / Birth Attendant are different. Unfortunately nothing is regulated or bodied, so anyone can claim to be a Doula. There are different courses available, all of varying time durations and requirements, so it's always important to find out where they are trained and what the course involved. Some Doulas will help with the experience mostly, and some will be more inclined to help acheive the birth you want and push you more if you like. So that's why it's important to interview several attendants if you want one and see which one offers what you would like
    Kelly xx

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I actually found all the midwives I had wonderful I ended up having 3 in total, one was a student. The student actually tried to coax me into other avenues of pain relief but I kind of shouted her down with "NO I WANT AN EPIDURAL" LOL.

So birth attendants aren't allowed to "catch" babies or do they just not do it? Like if the mother was close to the BA could they not ask for them to "catch" the baby??

LOL I have hijacked my own thread!!!!

Birth Attendants are not medically trained - we can catch them if no-one else is there and able but normally in a hospital a midwife will be closeby. I heard one story of a mum at home in the bath and babe came far too quick and the Birth Attendant had to catch - she was a single mum so who else would have done it?!

I guess you could ask the hospital/midwife for permission for someone else to catch baby, but I would assume if it wasn't the attendant, the mother would want dad to catch baby...

Oh and I use the word 'catch' as opposed to deliver. No-one does any work birthing that baby apart from mum
    Kelly xx

Tigergirl1980 Guest

PMSL there's no way Ben would catch a baby, he didn't even look down there, he stayed up my end the whole time

Good to know that a BA can catch if you want (maybe)

Yep thats cool Fletch, thanks for sharing! I love it when people voice opposing opinons to each other (in a nice way!!) as it helps give me an understanding of why they feel that way and to see things from other perspectives. After all, women are the people I need to explain what I do so your opinions and thoughts are important to me

I understand that some women want elective caesars. I also believe that the main reason for this is fear. So if we can have a chance at helping to conquer that fear in any way then it's worth it... we are just isolated as a population, intervention at an all time high and in an epidemic of fear. Not a good scenario.
    Kelly xx

ROFL @ Ben!!! John spent so much time at the end of the bed waiting for something to happen I would have slapped him if I could have reached - I wanted to squeeze his hand off!!! PML...
    Kelly xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast