Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthing Ball?

Default Birthing Ball?

Is it just the same as a normal exercise ball or something special?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

All the same as long as it is one that it antiburst and the 65cm ones are usually best as they take higher weight and pressure.

Really, 65cm? I thought that must've been something to do with your height! I'd hate to get a big one & my feet not being able to touch the ground ROFL!

Oh & thank you

I'm only 5'2 and the 65cm one was perfect for me. A great tool that everyone should use in labour!

Cool thanks Antheia, we're about the same height so that's great to know

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

They are great and all woman should use them in labour as bonus is u can bounce on them and push pressure into them which is why antiburst and size is best!

As you would hate for it to pop and you to hit floor, most antiburst cost around $45 up, most hospitals have a supply thought

OMG... I could not have got through my labours at all without the ball, i had one at home which i bounced on through my early labour and again was on one in the shower at the hospital and #2s labour she was posterior and i had loads of back pain and i found it great to lean on! I managed to get through both realatively fast and without pain relief which was fantastic! I actually sat on nothing other than the fit ball from about 36 weeks (hoping it would put bubs in good position!)

Godo luck, i hope you have the same experience

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I think one that is too small can defeat the purpose though, you would want your hips to be above your knees for good positioning for the baby?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I don't know what size the ball was at the hospital when I used it but it was too small for me. made things worse. The one I had at home was much bigger & better.

Without a ball, I would've needed a drip to get my labour going - my waters broke with no contractions and since they wanted me to deliver within 24 hours, they said if things didn't get moving they'd have to artificially start my contractions. But I bounced away on the ball and everything started happening!

Yeah i noticed that with my 'stop n start' labour that every time i was on the ball my contractions would become regular again.

Kell how do you tell what size then? Or shoud I go with the same size as Anthiea cos we're pretty much the same height?

sarah - if you go to a sports shop they usually have samples out so you can sit on and make sure they're not to small and work out what size is best for you

I was shown in my prenatal classes a bunch of positions to use with the ball in labour, but I had back labour with a lot of rectal and tail bone pain/pressure and wanted nothing to do with the ball. I sat on it for 3 seconds before retreating to the ONLY position I was comfortbale in - on my knees slumped over with my head buried in the sofa.

Our hospital had a couple of them floating around each room and they were all different sizes...Im 5'1 and have a 55 cm on at home and my hips are still above my knees when Im on it, and I use it all the time.... a much larger one for me feels like Im going to fall off and I cant actually sit on top but rather near the side if that makes sense! Maybe check with your hospital and see if they have different sized ones?

Yep, going to check with the hospital at my next appointment, but I want to labour as long as possible at home so would like one for home too.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Its always good to have one anyway I think If you have used it before you know it's comfy, the right size, it's yours and it will be available with no-one else using it at the same time.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Oooh, so take it to the hospital with us? I didn't even think of that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast