Thread: Breech Pregnancy Position

Jane-louise Guest

Default Breech Pregnancy Position

This is my first pregnancy, I am 33 weeks pregnant last week during check up the midwife did a check and ultra sound and showed my baby in breech position.

I would like to hear from any one else who is in this position or has been, as to if the baby moved as the midwife told me that I will probably have to have a c- section.

I have extreme pain on my pelvic bone as well and pain killers not working any suggestions.

I am very scared as I have had 5 misscarriages prior to this pregnancy and every time things start to sound normal they tell me some thing else is wrong.

Would appricate any one elses experiences.
    8-[

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Welcome to BellyBelly! Check out these links and resources here, to help baby turn: http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=306371

Also Moxa sticks work for some women. Search the web for 'optimal foetal positioning' too. Alan, a midwife, has also posted some tips, I will see if I can find the link to it. Try and put off the caesar as long as possible, I was born 9 days overdue and was breech until the day before I was born, so babies do turn late. Many Obs, in fact most, wont let you birth breech babies. If you really wanted to birth breech if baby doesn't turn, you could always try finding an Ob who will support you. All the best!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Jane-louise

There i still plenty of time for your baby to get into the correct position.
    One trick I use for breech babies is to get mum to rest on elbows and knees for 20 mins each day. You can do this on the bed, floor, lounge, anywhere that is comfy.
    Something else I have recently read about is to shine a bright torch on the lower part of your tummy also get a radio and put it low down on your tummy with music playing
    You could also try acupuncture/pressure.

This might be a silly question... but if my bub has already positioned himself correctly.. and I continue to do these things to turn him.. can it undo the good position? I'm thinking of the position of being head down hips up to help get bubs out of the pelvis so he can turn.. if he's already turned head down and I do this.. could he turn again??

I'm endeavouring now to seat myself correctly too, as I'm a bit of a lounger... whatever chair I'm in. So I've dug out our swedish chair to sit on at the computer to keep my knees lower than my hips. I can just picture bubby sitting upright lounging back just like mummy! LOL. Must make him move!! Daddy will be pulling rank tonight too and telling him to get head down! LOL. I love the idea of him talking at the bottom of the belly telling him to turn over

My baby was in the breech position until 37 weeks, and we were looking for any possible (safe) method to get her to turn. She ended up turning on her own, which was a huge relief! You can look into finding a chiropractor who knows the bradley method, which encourages your body to relax to let the baby turn. (apparently an 80% success rate) The other option that I was offered (and this is in Canada, I don't know if things are different for you) is an external cephalic version, performed by an obstetrician. (They give your uterus a muscle relaxant, and then, using ultrasound to guide them, they turn your baby by encouraging him to roll forward or backward by pushing on your belly. This is apparently uncomfortable, but not painful, and in my opinion, better than a c-section.)
    Floating in a warm bath is supposed to help too, 'cause it makes everything nice and relaxed.
    Anyways, all the best, and try not to worry. You still have lots of time, and most babies will turn on their own. O

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Personally I wouldn't have the ecv, it is very uncomfortable and I know of many babies who just turned themselves back again to breech! There are so many stories of breech babies turning last minute or late in the pregnancy, but these days, they aren't given a chance to turn by Obs who want caesars well before baby's due date.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

What's with the really early C/S? Is it just so that you don't go into labour before its scheduled or is it easier or safer to perform when bubs is smaller?

Hi Ivana_baby

If your baby is head down and you are still following my tips they will not make your baby turn head up.

dachlostar

Yes early C/S means that you dont have to go into labour. It is not any safer just because the baby is smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    dachlostar

Yes early C/S means that you dont have to go into labour. It is not any safer just because the baby is smaller.
    So if a hospital pressures you to have a C/S at 37 weeks because the baby is in an unfavourable position would there be issues with refusing to have one until 40 weeks 9just in case the baby turns and to give it more time to grow)? How would most hospitals react to this? After all we have the right to refuse or delay treatment don't we. Can a hospital refuse to treat you on the grounds that you are unco-operative?
    Would it be differant in publiuc and private hospitals?

I dont know of any public hospital that would refuse to treat you because you wanted to wait for another couple of weeks. Sometimes the OB's may get a little grumpy because you are not doing what they want, but usually they only see you for a few minutes anyway so I'm sure that most women can put up with that. As I only worked in the private system for a short time I dont think I am in a position to comment on how they would feel.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Alan - I really appreciate it and I've got just one more..........
    If you chose to delay a c-sect in the hopes that bubs would move and then you went into labour and the baby was still in a bad possition would an emergency c-sect be anymore risky than a scheduled one? Its the same operation isn't it - only they have to stop the contractions first?

Hi dachlostar

The operation is the same and the risks are the same. No they do not try to stop the contractions. There are a few drugs that can stop contractions early in pregnancy but these would be unlikely to work at term. Also it takes time for these drugs to work and like any drug they do have some side effects.

I have seen many successful ecv's and some not so successful, I also think it depends on the skill of the doctor to how uncomfortable it can be, you are give a relaxant when it is done, and yes some babys do turn back to breech but some women also go on to have vaginal deliveries, I think it depends on yourself, like Alan said 33 weeks is still really early and the baby is still small enough to turn on its own, I wouldnt be too concerned until you get to 36-37 weeks then they will discuss your options with you. Then you will be able to make a decision based on the information they give you
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    The operation is the same and the risks are the same.
    I just discussed this with my OB this afternoon, and he said that scheduled c/s is safer than emergency, as in an emergency c/s you aren't prepped for surgery eg, you have food in your stomach etc. which can bring it's own complications. He also said that it's unlikely that the baby will turn on his own after 39 weeks. So sounds like he's more in favour of scheduled c/s, but we wouldn't have had "the talk" until 36 weeks anyway, which obviously would have been in greater depth.

But I have good news! Bubby turned, and is now head down with spine to the front \/ What a good boy I have Lets hope he stays that way.

Hope your bub co-operates too Dach

Thats great news.

I agree to a piont with your OB. However It would be unusual for someone to go into early labour and progress so quickly thet there is not enough time to prep the OR or the mum. The food thing can be a bit of a problem but only if you are having a general. It does not really matter if you are having an epi