Thread: child bearing hips....

Default child bearing hips....

Hiya ladies,
    Just wondering if the whole 'child-bearing hips' comments (or opposite of!) bear any truth? I've always been a pretty athletic bodied person and never really had crazy hips.
    The pelvis and its wonderful 30% increase potential is far more important than hips yeah?
    So write to me all you straight bodied women and tell me your experience!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's a load of bull LOL! All women are capable of birthing babies no matter how big or small they are - hormones are amazing in labour letting that pelvis open up - bring on the relaxin! We've done really well at populating the planet so far, with both big and small women
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hehehe, yeah. You're right. Go us women!

I always joke with DH because he has the 'child bearers' in our relationship

I've got child-bearing hips: they're wider than my shoulders! Doesn't bother me though, just looking forward to putting them to good use!

My hips are fairly normal (not very wide not very narrow) and I've manged to squeeze a baby out. As you've said the ability your pelvis has to widen is more important. My biology teacher once told us that the idea of child-bearing hips is a myth. The appearance of your hips isn't related to the internal width of the pelvis so its possible to have quite wide hips and a narrow pelvis.

Apparently I had plenty of room up there when they decided to do a forceps delivery, and I'm a fairly square build.
    Sounds like a crock - I reckon you should have felt the relaxin doing interesting things to your body already, preparing it all for the upcoming birth! Hormones are amazing things