Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up when your water breaks

Default Cleaning up when your water breaks

Ok, this is something that is starting to worry us girls who are getting close. If your water breaks on fabric, what is the best way to clean it up? and how do you clean your mattress if it happens there?

I don't know what you'd use to clean it off, but a suggestion, always sit on a towel folded over a few times, even if your driving, as the amniotic fluid can rot material.

*L* Leanne.....I can't wait to see some of the answers to this question!

Was going to put the link in Due in December for you Beck but you found it anyway.

Teagan Thanks for your suggestion, I guess that could work in bed too, just put a couple of towels in the bed under that area, and if and when the waters do break start the washing machine straight away - I guess that is something to keep you occupied during that early stage.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

We learnt at our birth class that amniotic fluid is corrosive, and apparently it LOVES leather and will eat through it and it will also ruin your mattress. The best thing to do is to put plastic down on your mattress/cat seat/lounge or whatever and then towels on top of that. Also if your waters break at home put the clothes that you are wearing, any sheets or blankets etc in the wash before you leave, that way they won't be ruined as well.

Let your waters break in a shopping mall then someone else can clean it up LMAO j/k

Love

*LMAO* I shouldn't laugh but Leanne....your car seats!

Am definately going to find a plastic sheet and lay it down on our mattress.

Just hope they break if the shower or something! Less of a hassle with cleaning up.

I think I might be in serious trouble, lol. Where do you get plastic sheets from??

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I bought a painters drop sheet from K-mart, I didn't get to use it though, I was induced early due to pre eclampsia.

When I was getting close I put under my top sheet, a heavy duty garbage bag that I cut open. It makes a horrible crinkling noise but rather that then chuck my mattress out.

it does happen at home in bed, my g/f recently broke her waters 1am while she was sleeping! Thinking about it I don't know how she went cleaning it up.

Moving this to labour and birth

Love

OMG... Noone told me amniotic fluid is corrosive......

LOL I never even thought of protecting our mattress, but was SO lucky - as they broke when I was standing next to the bed, on the plastic mat that DP had under his computer chair... so managed to save the carpet too, LOL!

That is the other thing, how do I get it out of carpet?? At least in bed you can throw the linen in the wash, in the car you can use a couple of towels as protection, but carpet??

just thought i would let everyone know that target sell waterproof mattresses, up to a queen size. i bought one, it cost $45. i figure it may come in handy with leaky breasts afterwards as well (plus our mattress is brand new so i didn't want to riske ruining it).

other then that i have heard it suggested (cann't remeber where) to use a waterproof cot mattress protector on the car seat.

OMG thank you so much for bringing this up I never thought of it, and we just got a new expensive matress also so I would have been very sad. Well I am off to target .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast