Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was it easier or harder 2nd time around?

Default Was it easier or harder 2nd time around?

Do you feel it was easier second time around because you had been there b4?
    Or harder for the same reason?

PP, I think the biggest difference for me second time around was that I was more prepared. My first birth was relatively easy, but I didn't know the things I really needed to know to have a drug free birth which is what I had wanted. So when pg the second time I read New Active Birth and knew how to position myself etc to help achieve the birth I wanted. The extra knowledge came in very handy, especially as my labour was so quick I had no time for pain relief. So just as well I could get myself into a comfy position which helped with the pain and helped bub out!!

So I guess the best thing (other than DS of course) that I got from my first birth, was to know what I didn't know if that makes sense. And then definitely second time was better.

Mantaray!
    It is good to hear that the 2nd time was better (and faster lol).

I had a drug free birth as my established labour was 2 hours and in the back of an ambulance... so having a labour in hospital (in the hope i make it there if it gets quicker) will be very different as i might have the oppurtunity for therapies such as aromatherpay and massage (plus having DH there would be nice.. as he wasnt allowed to ride in the ambulance with me last time).

Its strange although i have done it b4 i am wondering now what it will be like in a 'normal situation' if that makes sense

Mine was quicker and easier and I had a much better recovery second time round too. I agree with MantaRay, that it has a lot to do with being more prepared and knowledgable.

For me the labour itself was easier, shorter..BUT much much more painful. I had stitches both time and recovery was longer the 2nd time (and i has less stitches and was only 1st degree tear opposed to 2nd degree first tiem round).

Wow every one is saying quicker! EEEEEEEEEEEk
    DH missed the first one due to 2 hr labour... i better have him on speed dial

Mine was quicker by 4.5 hours.

wow kimbaz!
    definately speed dialing... maybe i just wont let him out of my sight when i think 'this is it!"

lol

Hi Pink palace,
    My first labour was 4 hrs and 40 mins , my second labour was under 40 minutes
    I agree that i think the second time was easier as this time i knew what was going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPalace View Post
    wow kimbaz!
    definately speed dialing... maybe i just wont let him out of my sight when i think 'this is it!"

lol
    Very good idea PP!!

Well all three of mine have been about 3/5 hrs my first was 2.5 2nd was 4.5 and 3rd was 3hrs so dont panic too much...

The best thing about having had a previous labor is that as soon as labor starts it all come flooding back... Which can be a good /bad thing lol

But at least this time you know that when you feel like the baby is coming out the wrong place ( well it does for me ) you know you only have less than an hour to go... and this time you also remember that when you feel the burn PUSH PUSH PUSH lol as you are almost there!!!!

but what ever you do dont start to worry as there is nothing you can do to stop whats got to happen in a few mths always remember that you have done this once and you will and can do it again...

My labour was much shorter but as my 2nd was a VBAC it was WAAAY harder!!!

My second was easier physically - she was nearly born on the toilet LOL and the second stage was only 18minutes for me - would have been a lot quicker but I breathed as opposed to pushed her out so my body did all the hard work under its own steam. The birth was 8hrs from start to finish whereas my first was 12hrs. It was my best birth I think, but mentally I did have a few moments were I was a bit scared because I knew what was going to happen this time round, but that didn't last for long. Also you do tend to feel more confident because you know what works for you and what doesn't and you are more confident to speak up and say "hey, this is what I'm going to do". That said there are no hard and fast rules to birth so you may have a harder time of it or your birth may be longer - there is just no way of knowing until it happens.

Man. You guy's sound like you had it easy every time.

DD1 my waters broke & 18 1/2 hours later she was born. Contractions started an hour after waters broke.

DD2 30 hours from my first contraction. They had to break my waters at the end.

DS 5 hours. Full on.

The only thing I can say about my 1st & 2nd labours is that they were very different. I don't think it was any easier or less painful, just happened different. With DD2 I knew I had to relax & let it happen, so that helped. With DD1 I spent 10 hours fighting the contractions. I made it hard for myself.
    With DS it was definetly easier. Still just as painful, but quicker & easier.

I read Tan's post and almost wet myself!!!! lol

Thankfully some girls are having longer labours so i will be a little more relaxed i will have time to get Dh here with me!

I am looking forward to the birth. i felt somewhat lost first time not knowing what is going on and in such a strange situation and this time i can sort of feel my body's signals.

Congrats on your VABC krisp by the way!

supa quick
    1st labour- 7 hrs
    2nd labour - about 1 hr all up.

I nearly had her at home. Was fully dialted once i got to hossi - no time to be wheeled upstairs, i had her in the emergency dept - shoes and pumpkin patch skirt still on !

Labour easier and the whole newborn thing easier......good luck !

#1 ~ 6hrs
    #2 ~ 6 hrs
    Both gel induced only
    #3 ~ started contractions Sat 7am 20min apart til 6pm the 10min apart til 9am Sunday, cervx stretched during cxn and waters broken then had dd @ 11.45am Looong labour for my third and all natural.
    Hoping #4 will be like first two, they were full on to start but over in 6hrs
    This will be our last too

my first labour was only 2.5 hours and second 9.5 hours, although my dd is 12 and my ds is 2 weeks so there was a 12 year gap in between that may have something to do with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast