Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EPO question (TMI)

wowzah Guest

Thanks Trish

So I'm guessing you used them? With success?

Alana, I used them and plenty of them. My cervix was extremely soft and stretchy and even prior to going into labour I was 3 cms dilated. Tehya's head was so far down in the last week or so it was lucky she didn't just fall out

The use of EPO in VBAC's is very recommended too as it ehls to soften up scar tissue. In a good way of course

From the birthrites site

• Evening Primrose Oil capsules; 2-3 capsules high in the vagina, repeat 2-3x 24hr intervals
    • Evening Primrose Oil acts as a prostaglandin, which ripens or softens the cervix. It's also useful for softening scar tissue from abortions or IUD damage. This will soften/ripen the cervical tissues and increase the flexibility of the pelvic ligaments. This will help the baby to deeply engage in the pelvis. This early application of the baby's head will assist with dilation and should result in a relatively easy birth, even after multiple C-sections for "stalled" labor.
      Evening Primrose Oil may be helpful for women with borderline pelvises as well. The utilization of Evening Primrose Oil seems to enhance the complex set of biochemical messages that initiate labor. You can take evening primrose oil, orally, in the last four weeks of your pregnancy. You should take three evening primrose oil capsules daily for the first week (36th week of gestation) and then one to two capsules a day for the last three weeks of pregnancy.

Birthrites is a site all about VBACS. Have a look at them. it's .org, not au too
    Don't be pushed into a repeat c section if this isn't what you want.

Last edited by Trish; February 26th, 2007 at 09:07 PM.

wowzah Guest

Thanks for that Trish, I really appreciate it.

To be honest I don't really know what I want still. My labour up until my emergency c/s last time was brutal, and a repeat of that scares the living daylights out of me. But it also scares me going in for a 'cold' cesear. The emergency one I wasn't really with it and can't remember a lot of the details of it.

It's a really hard decision that my partner and I have spent many hours going over, and we were the ones that made the decision to book a c/s 39+ weeks as a back up plan.

I was induced the first time at 10 days over, and personally wouldn't want a hospital induction again.

I am keen to try and do some things naturally to bring on labour, but am content that if it isn't what is meant to happen then so be it.

I will check out that site, thanks so much.

Do you think their instructions mean as well as 2-3 capsules orally; you also take 2 -3 capsules internally 2 - 3 times per 24 hours? (ie 4 - 9 over a 24hr period) Is this from 36 weeks too?

Sweety alot of the time the induced labour is the problem in itself. Maybe you could just choose not to be induced this time. Remember that pregnancy is meant to be around 40 weeks. Of course it's totally up to you.
    Tehya was my VBAC after having a c section with Noah and I was so determined to have it, and to have it my way that I had a homebirth. I realise this isn't an option for everyone though.

I wish you every bit of luck huni, and I really do hope that you get the birth that you want.

Oh yeah dosage, well I never used them that frequently internally, like I said, I only used 3 every night internally and I would take 2 orally in the morning. HTH.

Just have believe in yourself and your body, getting your mind around it all is the first big step to a better labour and birth. Even if that birth is a c section.

wowzah Guest

Thanks Trish !!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Trish or Deb, do you recomend a certain brand of EPO at all? Did either of you take Raspberry Leaf Tea as well?

I never really worried about what brand it was, the bigger the jar for the cheaper price is what I went for

And yes, I drank RLT by the truck loads too.

Relle,
    I used Blackmores - I like to go with a reputable company just to be on the safe side.
    I also drank RLT. Good luck Relle

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Thanks ladies!

Did you both start taking the EPO at 37ish weeks, orally and inserting? When did you start the RLT?

Relle, The EPO I began at 38weeks. The RLT at 30 weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12