Thread: Fantastic first birth - Horrible second???

Default Fantastic first birth - Horrible second???

I was wondering, how likely is it, after having a fantastic experience birthing my first child, that I could possibly have a horrible birth for the second? Do most people who have great vagianl births first time around, often have vaginal births again? Is there a higher risk of problems occuring? Is there a smaller chance of having to have a c section?
    I will be TTC#2 shortly, and I would like to be armed with more knowledge than with my first. Although I had in my eyes, a near perfect experience, I worry that I may not go down the same road again.

Cheers

Ellibam Guest

i think because you know your "capable" of giving birth and you had a wonderful experience the first time that you will have a great experience again!

I am thinking that way too, but I am one of those people who likes to always have the worst case scenario in teh back of my mind 'just in case'. LOL

Ellibam Guest

in that case i would say its like the first time! (but not cos you know what it will be like)

I know everyone is different, but my mum had 8 kids, and my nan had 11.. they both say that with every birth it gets easier and easier and shorter.. im due in december and considering my first birth was only 6hrs and 19 mins i'm pretty relaxed with the thought of giving birth again.. hopefully it cuts down by 6 hrs lol... wish full think.. a 19 min labour, if only dreams came true

Hehe, yeah a labour less than 36+Hours would be good next time, but if it went that long again, I could handle it As long as Everything else goes well...
    My mum had a 34 hour labour wih me, 3 with sis #2 and 1.5 with sis#3. SO fingers crossed...
    lol

Hi Gorgeous Girl!

You know what you know you can do it! At the end of the day what we really want isn't the perfect birth but the best birth for us and our babies (that is what I think a perfect birth is) You have done it all before and you know how to do it!

Get as much info as you can, do your birth plan, consider a doula (I think doulas are wonderful ) and then when you have done everything possible sit back take a deep breath and know that you can do it!!!

Well seeing as you've already BTDT you know what to expect and you know you can do it. I was way more relaxed about giving birth the second (and third) time around. DH was at me to ring the hospital and I was like "no, not yet".

My births have gotten quicker and easier but then I've had longer pre labours and longer PG's also.

Yeah I agree, seeing as you've done it well before...

Having said that I can understand your fears. Statistics are definately on your side of things. The other thing maybe you could do to ease our mind would be doing some alternative ante-natal classes like hypnobirthing or calm birthing. Also, maybe getting a doula. To help you get through those fears that are completely natural to be going through.