View Poll Results: Would you consider a private male midwife?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, would have no hesitations

62 48.82%
  • I don't think I would have a problem with it

37 29.13%
  • I am unsure

13 10.24%
  • No, I would prefer a female midwife

15 11.81%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Female or Male Midwife?

Yes Liz I agree, move to NSW Alan

jade21887 Guest

I had both a male and a female midwife when I was in labour with Lachlan. I found them both to be very different. I had my female midwife the whole pregnancy, so I loved her to bits. But the male midwife could give things that the female couldnt. I find male midwives more sympathetic, they give you a good kick up the butt when you need it. I think if your a fabulous midwife, it really doesnt matter your sex!! I'm sure you have seen all our 'bits' before!! I think my husband would love a male midwife too, someone to relate to.

I think it's a fantastic decision, Alan - Victoria is currently in the process of deciding whether she wants to try out independent practice again, after another year of unsatisfactory experiences in the hospital system, especially now that we have family and friends close-by and our main issue (childcare when Victoria is called to a birth and I am at work) is largely mitigated.

As a male, I would have no qualms about my wife being cared for by a male who I trusted - trust is more important to me. I think Victoria might have some reservations, but as has been said, IPM relies on word of mouth and recommendations as much as advertising. Heck, given the small amount of choice available, especially in rural areas, I'd say you'd have little problem getting business just by dint of being the only choice!

Alan, as you know I would have had you in a second!!! I think I personally would look for personality & support in a midwife over anything else. Yes experience does come to play of course, but if I had my pick than trust would be the strongest issue.

Would you consider employing an independent male midwife? Absolutely

Would you prefer a female midwife? Nope, gender doesn't matter at all.

What would influence your choice? Support & personality, trusting the individual to have you & your babies best interests at heart.

Any other comments would also be appreciated I too have had issues with midwives in hospital & I think the one who is present for the birth is the one that is the most important as far as support goes. If you are having a home birth, they are your only contact... some women may feel awkward discussing all about their bits with men, but personally I would feel more free to because I often felt disregarded in hospital by the midwives there.... when I asked about caring for my second degree tear I felt highly embarrased... when there was no reason to be.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I think a male midwife would be fabulous, I would have no problem with a male midwife whatsoever.

Alan - im sure you'd get alot of business down here. Ive had both and I so much more preferred the male. He was more caring to my needs and helped me through a terrible labour only to have a c/s out come. I only wished he was there with my 2nd and 3rd.
    All the best of luck with your new career path (not that you'll need it)

I had a male midwife with the birth of my first child, and he was brilliant!! with the birth of my next 2 children, i had females, and the dupport i got from them was great, but nothing bet Frank

I would have no hesitations about having a male midwife. It was a little unnerving at first, but the support was second to none. Good luck with the private practise!!

Kirsty77 Guest

I would have a male midwife in a heartbeat. I think its an awesome idea. Like sarah H I also had some really nasty midwifes in hospital with Gem and Jasmine, all female. I had one male midwife with gemma and he was wonderful. He had a sense of humour and was so caring.

Go for it I say!

i got to say men that go into this profession are a breed of men that you would want around in the situation of birthing your baby there is a compassion as they have never felt what it is like ( i had one midwife tell me that i was making it hard on myself then starting comparing her birth to mine - to say the least i was not happy i also had a male midwife for part of my first labour and i could not fault him at all i actually felt more at ease being talked through some of the rough areas with him over some of the female miwives so yeah thumbs up here

I would quite happily have a male midwife. Of course a lot of the choice of midwife would be how well I got on with them.

We have male Ob-Gyns, GPs, nurses, etc why not a male midwife.

Good luck with it all Alan - I know that you'll get lots of work, the girls here will give you amazing references & talk about you to all their friends.

Damn shame you won't be in Qld when I fall pregnant

Schaz

I am yet to give birth, so I can't speak from experience, but as a first-timer I can say that I would have no issues with it whatsoever!

Like some of the others, I think I sometimes feel more comfortable with a male HCP. My Ob is male, my GP is male, and that's the way I like it! No probs with having a male midwife at all.

Good luck Alan, wherever you decide to practice. I'm sure you will be successful!

Would you consider employing an independent male midwife?
    Yes I would consider a male midwife the same as a female midwife. A choice would not be made on their sex/age/anything else, but how they suited me and my birthing needs.

Would you prefer a female midwife?
    Initially and honestly I would probably say yes, but initial impression and final decision are two very different things, and I really don't think male or femaleness would affect my end decision. For example when trying out new doctors in new towns, I initially visit female doctors, but almost always end up choosing a male doctor as our family doctor....just one of my personal biases.

What would influence your choice?
    How the midwife could meet my needs; how we related to each other; similarities in life philosophies; competency; employment history; location; post-birth care

Any other comments would also be appreciated.
    I HTH...I'm not around much so haven't got to know you at all......but I think its fantastic that you are considereing private midwifery and I wish you all the best in finding your way in this new career path!

I work with a male midwife who is also an independant midwife. He is VERY popular. He is an excellent midwife and his clinics are always full.
    All the best.
    Cheers
    Judy

Given the choice between two equally qualified, caring, experienced midwives, one male and one female, I'd probably choose the female, but that being said, I would have no issues with a male midwife, if he was the best.
    Best of luck with your independent practice!

Just wanted to add - if you're going to be moving anyways - why not come to Canada? Here in Ontario, our provincial health insurance covers private midwives and home births, and they are becoming very popular. It is VERY difficult to get a midwife here.
    All the best!

Ladies thank you all for your comments. I did not expect to get such a fantastic response. I really wish that I could be at all your births and give you the experience that you all want and deserve. Who knows, perhaps I will become a travelling independent midwife. After all I have been travelling around Australia for the past 15 years working in the hospital system.

Theresa
    No special reason for leaving Qld. Itís just that I have never been to Vic. I have not yet decided here to set up yet.

Dachlostar
    I understand that your religion can play a big part in this and I do respect that. Thank you for your comments.

Liz
    I am now confused LOL

BirthConnection
    I have not yet decided where to set up. I am coming down to Vic in Feb for a look around. Yes I would be happy to work as 2nd M/W. Thanks for the offer of a chat. I will contact you in the next few days. (Iím on nights from 20/12)

Schmickeres
    Thanks for your comment. I have had some problems with the husbands. !!!! You need to see my wifeís @#*#$. I donít know if I want you to look there!!!!!!

Christy
    Thank you

Maz
    Thank you so much for your comment

Shazz
    I do not permit support persons in labour ward to talk about their births or births of their friends, usually they only talk about the bad things. I would be disgusted if another midwife started talking about her own birth.

Mama of 2
    Thanks for your honest comments. If I were to leave Australia I think that Canada would be my first choice.

Alan I would have no problem with my midwife being male - hey my GP/OBGYN is! I have had female midwives for all of my births because that's just who was on at the time. During Zachary's birth I had 2 trainee midwives in the room with us and one of them was male. Good luck in your independant ventures!

Alan, I would have absolutely no problems in hiring a male IM, well unless my own IM was available. She'd kill me if I had another baby and she wasn't there. Hey Michael

I find male nurses and Midwives (or mishusband ) to be very compassionate men. Although that could be just the experience I had with both. I had a male midwife when I was in hosp for my c section with Noah. He was great, actually looks alot like you. Have you ever worked in Blacktown hospital ??

Also when I had a PPH 2 weeks after my 12 year olds birth I had a male nurse with me in the ER. He organised to breast pump (which I never got to use, was loosing too much) But he stayed with me and held my hand right into theatre. This was a very scary time for me and he was so comforting.

So my answer once again is a definant yes to your questions. Word of mouth is a great thing. I wish you every bit of luck and success in your new venture. I'm sure you will do fantastic.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast