View Poll Results: First Birth With An Epidural: Did You Have Other Intervention As A Result?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I had a vacuum after my epidural

13 16.05%
  • Yes, I had forceps after my epidural

10 12.35%
  • Yes, I had other intervention after my epidural

21 25.93%
  • No, I had a vaginal birth without any further procedures at all

37 45.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Births With an Epidural

I had emerg c/s under an epi..though my cs was nothing to do with interventions or other failures. purely due to issues with Charlotte.
    They broke my waters though, other than that, 36 hours with no intervention.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I had an epi after labouring for 24 hours (established labour for about 12 hours). Had to have a vacuum because DD was stuck and in distress and had to be brought out quicker. They had a hard time getting the vaccum to work but after 3 attempts it worked. If it hadn't, I was going to be rushed for an emergency c/s. I don't think the assitance was anything to do with the epi though. My waters broke 30mins before contractions started and things were progressing too slowly which is why intervention was needed.

I was induced with the gel with DS1 and had an epidural and turned out to be 9cm at the time, no further intervention was required thankfully!

Mine ended with an emergency cs...

I also should have mentioned that my epi was not topped up for a long while before I started pushing so I was able to completely feel my contractions at that point. Maybe if it had been topped up I would more likely have required assistance? At the time though I was furious that my OB wouldn't top up the epi because it huuuuurt!!

Double post
    Last edited by Bun; March 23rd, 2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Double post

I couldn't feel anything with any of my 3 and I didn't require assistance. The first I had a spinal block as well and I couldn't feel the contractions to push, but I used the monitor thing to tell me when I was contracting so I pushed then. The next 2 I just had the epi and could feel the contractions, they were just painless.

I laboured naturally, had an epidural and then an emergency c section

My first birth was 18.5 hours of labour. Midwife broke my waters because it took 5 hours for me to go from 4cm to 6cm.. About 2 hours later i had the epi and Syntocinon to try and turn the baby, then 6.5 hours later i had the vaccum, i was a hairs breadth from having a c/s. Personally i believe that i made the wrong choice with getting my waters broken. My ds was in the wrong position to birth easily and i doubt that it helped any. Neither did lying on my back for hours once i had the epi.

I chose to have an epi after not progressing from 5-6cms in the 3 hours that I had been at hosp. Doc then requested induction, which midwives held off on for a couple of hours, but then gave me as we figured I already had the epi so why not. Vacuum was used as DS's heartrate wasn't stable after me pushing for about 30 mins.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

The results here pretty much are in line with the discussion I was part of, that 60% of women having an epidural will need further assistance/intervention to have their baby born... interesting.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

What are the stats on assistance/intervention for first time Mums who don't have epidural?

Ta,

Kate

I had an epidural after 50hrs of labour and 2hrs of pushing and the only other pain relief I had was water injection. I was told that I needed one as they were either going to do a forceps delivery or c-section and the ob wanted me prepped before he got there. My baby wasn't distressed but I was and she just didn't want to come out. I couldn't have a vacuum extraction as Olive's head was too swollen from all the pushing so luckily ended up with the forceps. Although it was a highly distressing experience at least I got to push out my baby after all that time with no drugs. I had a third degree episitomy and a third degree tear as a reasult and lost 1.8ltrs of blood but to be honest by the end I just wanted my baby and didn't care how.

i was induced, gels at 8pm sunday night, waters broken monday 7.30am, drip by 10am,
    by 7pm not really progressing so had epi.... darling girl delivery EVENTUALLY 3.52am TUESDAY morning with no instruments - thanks god for my epi i never would of been able to labour that long and still have the strenght to push her out without it!!

sorry - not relevant

I had an epi and forceps but I'm not sure I would use the words, "as a result" because it's quite possible I would have needed forceps without the epi IYKWIM. Infact, my honest opinion is that I would have needed the forceps regardless.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Ummm its a known fact that an epidural increases your risk of intervention because you reduce the sensation and effectiveness pushing.... hence why they need to pull babies out with things like forceps and vacuum. I would say even moreso for first time mums who have never experienced the sensation of pushing, but who knows could be the same.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

yeah sorry,
    like fionas I couldn't say 'as a result' cause I had the epi because they already knew that they were going to be intervening by giving a c-s or the forceps so not sure if mine is relevent either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast