Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First contact at birth

Default First contact at birth

This may seem like a strange question but it's something I have been thinking about for a while....

When your baby was born, did you bring your baby to your chest straight away or after he/she had been checked, cleaned, weighted etc. I know skin to skin contact is important and it is something I am looking forward to when my daughter is born, but I'm not sure if it is before or after they have been cleaned up.

Hi Gemma,

For my first 2 bubs they were delivered straight up onto my tummy where I could give them a cuddle. My 3rd was a c/section so I didn't get that luxury. Of course it depends on how bub is when they come out whether or not you get to cuddle straight away. If you write yourself out a birth plan be sure to include what you want done. If you'd prefer to wait til they were clean then let it be known. Personally I didn't care about how mucky they were, it is your muck afterall

Take care
    Trish

I wrote in my birth plan that I wanted skin to skin straight out, no clean up first. Having a caesarean she got skin to skin with Daddy afterwards. So they pulled her out & started to walk away but DH jumped up and took her off them and walked her to the scales etc and then took his shirt off & held her skin to skin until they put her back onto me.

Olivia was born, my DH cut the cord, she was checked for her Agpar scores and then placed on my chest straight away.....blood and muck all over her, just wrapped in a cotton cloth.

Prior to giving birth I had always said I would like a clean baby to cuddle, but it was only about a minute after my final push that I had my first cuddle with her and it was the best moment of my whole life and I wouldn't change a thing about it....

(Actually, if you check out her little website (link is under my sig) there is a photo of this.....you can't really see much muck!)

Also, they generally don't bath babies for hte first few days as it affects the babies core body temp and natural skin sebums etc so they generally leave them, which soudns a bit gross, but wasn't an issue at all for me...)

Thanks for the replies, it's good to know the different experiences with things like this.

I just realised that this should have gone under 'Labour & Birth', maybe it could be moved??

moved

I honestly think we didn't worry about her being mucky either.... last thought sort of thing, I guess after the messiness of labour, that muck didn't matter.

I had both kids delivered straight up onto my belly - loved it to bits!!

Trust me, once you have delivered your baby, the last thing you will be thinging of is gory muck!!

It is the best experience ever!!

Best wishes

With my DD as soon as she was born she was put onto my tummy. But no more than 10 secs later she had to be taken away for some oxygen. About 5-10mins later i got a cuddle but then she had to be taken to the SCBU for a rest coz it was such a traumatic birth.

Melody Guest

Quote Originally Posted by christy
    I wrote in my birth plan that I wanted skin to skin straight out, no clean up first. Having a caesarean she got skin to skin with Daddy afterwards. So they pulled her out & started to walk away but DH jumped up and took her off them and walked her to the scales etc and then took his shirt off & held her skin to skin until they put her back onto me.

I know I am emotional at the moment but reading this just made me sob.

What a beautiful image/moment! :-({|=

Hi, I always wanted skin to skin, but have not yet had it! the twins were only 33 weeks so were whisked off to be checked out, I had a hug, but they were just bundles in towels I had 3 photos taken, and they were gone to SCN. DD#3 was a csec and I had a quick hold, again a bundle in a towel, a few photos, and she and DH were gone. Am hoping this time!!!!! [-o<

Go the skin to skin, straight after, if possible. Its your reward for god sake!!
    I can't describe the feeling, you'll know what I mean.......

I had both my boys straight up to me before the cord etc was cut, for a quick cuddle

Love

They placed Aidyn straight on my belly after he was born. Then they took him and dried him off quickly, weighed and measured him etc, and back onto my chest (wrapped up) for a cuddle again. It was the most beautiful thing in the world... I just remember him lying on my chest and he was so warm and snuffly, his little eyes looking all around.... it was soooo beautiful

Maddison was delivered & placed straight on my chest, my sister then cut the cord whilst Maddy was on y chest, about 10 mins she laid there & I was totally in awe of this thing... then My sister asked me with video now in hand... "Do you know what you have?".. It had not occured to me to even worry about it, the nurse then grabbed her & held her up so I could see & so my Sis could video it!!! then they bathed her with a cloth really wrapped her up, did her apgar & gave her back to me... whilst I was being stitched etc...

It is the most amazing experience & I can't wait to be going through it all over again!

makes me a bit emotional reading these & writing my own!!!

When Brandon was born, DP delivered him, and then handed him to me. I was kneeling in the bath with him sort of held out in front of me, like I didn't quite know what to do. Then DP came back from the phone, wrapped him and me in towels to keep us warm, let the water out (as instructed, but a big no-no, guess 000 doesn't always know what they are saying), so then I cuddled him to keep him warm.

We got a bit of skin on skin where he was poking out of the towel in the ambulance, on the way, while we got stuck in footy traffic lol.

Go with whatever you can get - circumstances can change the best plans.

I had my son put up on me straight away but my daughter had to be whisked away due to complications.

*Yvette* Guest

Quote Originally Posted by christy
    Brought tears to my eyes Christy, that was such a brilliant thing for your DH to do, & I hope mine would do the same if he could.

Mine 3 so far were all passed through my legs to me as I turned around, & given straight to me, mucky & all. Angus had meconium on him too, then pood on me a bit more,but I wouldn't have given up that instant reward for anything unless there was no choice. He also needed serious suction, but it was done with him on my chest. The midwives always have a warmed up towel/blanket ready & put it straight over you both, & I remember Angus being rubbed & being told to keep rubbing him while she got the suction, still holding babies while cord was clamped & cut etc. Babies were passed to husband/daughter only when I needed to deliver the placenta. Being in the hospital for Angus, they wanted to take him out of the room to weigh him (hours later) & I wouldn't let him go without DH.

Holding your baby is your instant reward for all your hard work, & such a beautiful moment. I have to think about it being different this time with twins, but I want them held close & cuddled by DH if possible, & 'attended to" only as necessary while being held (if possilbe).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast