Thread: Haemorroids?

Default Haemorroids?

I was pushing for quite a while to bring this little man into the world & I seem to have developed a haemorroid (ouch!). Midwife at the hospital said it should go away on it's own & gave me some cream to relieve the symptoms. But, it's almost 2 weeks later & still pretty ouchy (and bleeding when I go to the loo). How long will it take to get better? Any tips on helping the process along?

Hey ezz! Congratulations on your new little one!
    I also developed a haemorrhoid after Emily was born, and yes it HURT! Is yours internal or external?
    A pad soaked in chilled witch hazel will help reduce the swelling and pain. Also, there is a newer product called proctofoam which is kind of expensive, but works wonders, I found. (I think you might need a prescription for that one - talk to your md/midwife.) And apparently if you make a paste of epsom salts with water, and apply it to the spot, it will really help bring the swelling down. Haven't tried that one myself, but it's worth a shot, I'd guess.
    Mine resolved in a matter of days after the proctofoam. My midwife said that generally women who complain of them at 1 week, find that they are improved at 2 weeks, and most are completely better by the 6 week appointment.
    The best thing you can do is keep from becoming constipated - lots of fibre, fruit, and raw veggies, and plenty of water. Avoid straining on the toilet. Get a little LIGHT exercise. (Don't over do it at 2 weeks PP.) Also, if you are taking any pain medication, make sure it has no narcotics in it, because they will also slow your bowels down. Kegels (pelvic floor exercises) are also supposed help increase blood flow to the area, and thus promote healing.
    Hope you are feeling much better soon. All the best!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

thanks for your replies! Am getting some relief from Witch Hazel & taking heart that it will get better! (thanks Cricket!)

Ok I know I sound like a fruit loop but my chiro fixes hemorrhoids using a spot on the ankle. No fuss, instant and not invasive but it hurts like hell!

It is one inch below and one inch behind the ankle bone on the outer foot.

Seriously, I don't know where they learn this stuff but it's amazing. She's fixed 2 for me by pressing on this spot - might be good to get someone else to do it because I'd be unlikely to inflict pain like that on myself - and I've never had them back. We'll see after birth I spose Good luck.

Rah - no way! That's amazing!

Wow. Rah, that is bizarre. I love hearing about this kind of thing.
    Just wanted to second what Cricket said about the witch hazel (but prob no need, seems to be doing the trick for now!) and also the not getting bound up bizzo.

I had terrible issues with my buttski that required surgery...constipation is not your friend right now, trust me