Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head is engaged and unmoveable... does that mean labour could be soon?

Question Head is engaged and unmoveable... does that mean labour could be soon?

Just wondering... I had a MW appointment yesterday, she had a poke around and said "she dropped down perfectly, her heads engaged and unmoveable, all ready and raring to go".

What does that mean?

She also made an appointment for two weeks but said she'll see us soon

So does it really mean labour could be soon? She didn't check my cervix or anything like that but when I did a bit of feeling its dropping down ALOT (I checked about two weeks ago and it was unreachable). It feels like theres a lot less room in there IYKWIM. And I've been getting a lot of cramps, deep period-like cramps, and a backache (which could be put down to the fact that I have cleaned and washed almost everything in the house in two days so dunno if that counts LOL!).

*Now if my SIL or one of my know it all friends says it too me I'd happily deck them!*, but I don't mind hearing this from my BB buddies so give it to me straight... could I be like this for weeks? Or does the head being engaged mean things will more than likely happen soon?

I hate to say it, but it could stay this way for weeks *ducks for cover*

DS2 was fully engaged at 36 weeks (I actually felt the moment it happened LOL), but he was born 5 days overdue. I was told by the midwives that I could go "at any time now", I hate that!!!

So, I suppose the answer is Yes, it's possible you could go soon, but it's also possible you will feel this uncomfortable for a few more weeks yet...

Sorry I'm not much help :P

I agree with Trish!

Its pretty funny from my side of the computer - once everyone hits the 36 week mark, they post wondering if they are going to go early. *ducks for cover*

Look, things are getting ready and they will continue to do so for awhile. Some engage 30mins before birth, some weeks before, you might have BH forever, maybe not at all.

Just keep nesting but DO NOT GO OVERBOARD in the frenzy. I hurt my back and didn't know it till DS was born. OUCHIE!

Hi Leasha,
    I read somewhere and know by experience that first time mums are more likely to fully engage around 36 weeks but most times don't go into labor for a few more weeks. Us multi's usually don't engage till closer to D day or when in labor.

That said, it does not mean you can't go any day. Just don't put your hopes on it as it may be a long few weeks.

(Now I will run away)

once everyone hits the 36 week mark, they post wondering if they are going to go early.
    LOL thats cos we've got nothing else to do but wonder when it'll happen hehehe!

Ah well, thats what I was expecting! S'pose I'll just make myself a bum groove on the couch and wait

Hi Leasha
    I agree with all the rest. It is quite common for a first time mum to engage at 36 weeks. This is not an indication that you will go into labour early

I never engaged with my 1st but was engaged for 5 weeks with my 2nd. I was convinced I was going to go early but she came on her due date.

Oh goodness, you just brought back all those memories of trying to walk with a watermelon stuck in my pelvis! Pip engaged around 38 weeks and then was 8 days overdue ...

Make that bum-shaped dent and keep on nesting, its amazing what you can achieve in these last weeks that were just "too hard" a couple of weeks previous!

good luck!

Just wanted to quickly say good luck Leasha...so close now! These next few weeks will fly!

Well...could happen now. Mightn't happen for weeks. I know that's no help but first babies often engage quite early.

That said, I was told the exact same thing at my 36 week appointment with DD. Head fixed and engaged. OB said "I don't like to promise people their babies are coming a bit early...but this baby is going to come very soon. Hope you've got your bags packed".
    Went into labour that night

Could be either really, Julia was engaged at 37 weeks but I still had to be induced at 41 weeks but others I know had their bubs early when engaged fully, did she say your baby was fully engaged? or just engaged.

Just wanted to pop in and say GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

So, so close now Leasha!!

Ooh yep. It could mean anything, or nothing! hehe. In my experience, my baby only has to headbutt my cervix and I go into labour LOL. (my theory as to why DD was early!) Neither of mine really engaged until right before labour, which is why i think them engaging triggered it!

All the best. The nesting could be a sign! but I agree - take it easy! Enjoy your last couple of weeks (days maybe?) of peace I say this, because your 1st pregnancy is the only one you can actually sit around and enjoy. Subsequent ones.. well there's already another kidlet to run around after, so enjoy this pg as long as possible!

Hi there!

With DD she decided to engage at 35 weeks...and yep, as someone said previously...walking with a watermelon in your pelvis is so apt! LOL!

It made work hard, so i left a week early and DD was born at 38 weeks.

Good luck and either way, not long to go!!

hi sweets, I agree with what the others have said DD too engaged early but was 2 weeks past her due date before she arrived, but you are so close now reguardless you'll soon have your little princess in your arms, good luck can't wait to hear your birth announcement

But, its fantastic news! The end is in sight.

Hi Leasha,
    I just wanted to say OMG! I cant believe you are 36 weeks already!

Yeah, I'm with Krysalyss - how did you get to be 36 weeks already!!! Boy that happened quick.

Whether you go early, on-time or late - GOOD LUCK honey!!! I bet you're getting impatient, but hang in there, it's an exciting time. And I know everyone says this - but enjoy yourself / relax as much as you can!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast