Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hep B vaccination at birth for infants

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Hep B vaccination at birth for infants

For those who chose to accept the Hep B vaccination for your baby, did you defer it to the 2 month vaccinations or did you do it immediately?

There is an interesting discussion on the midwifery list I am in, talking about how midwives have noticed Hep B injected bubs are more unsettled for around 48 hours and have more breastfeeding problems than bubs who are not. There is apparently some research into this somewhere, I will try and dig it up.

You can choose to defer Hep B vaccinations until the 2 month mark, when vaccinations start and go from there, should you choose to vaccinate, its in the birth preferences template I offer clients and they generally all choose that, they didn't know they could choose to do it that way.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Matilda had her first HepB at 2 months, Jovie I think we will wait a bit longer. We were thinking around that maybe between 6mths-1yr we would consider HepB and polio... but still undecided as to which vaccinations she will have.

We ended up doing it at the hospital - I think it was 3 days? No probs breastfeeding or anything here. He wasn't unsettled either.

I'd probably wait next time, just coz you can. hehe. How do you know if there's a risk in the family or whatever?

i just did it with my first 2 coz they told me it was recommended they were both fine and great feeders. jade was fully vaxed.bree had her 2 months vaccinations then no more since.im considering not getting it done at all for this one but need to research it more first.

Oooh, Kelly, I'd love a copy of that if you can find it. I want to defer the HepB for this baby, even though the other three had it, cause we aren't in a high risk group so I dodn't see the need to get it done right away.

There is some information here: http://www.visainfo.org.au/

Apparently the woman who runs the site is the most up-to-date on all things Hep B. I don't know when the site was last updated but I would assume it was some time after 2002. Might email her for more info, to see what the latest is. None the less, I would rather birth be a time of less vaccinations anyway.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; January 25th, 2007 at 10:07 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

Thanks for the link Kelly. Checking it out now.

ETA - Caro, even though the article is old, I don't see how the information in it could have dated at all having read it.

Some of the statistics refer to studies in 2002 so it would have been after that.

I don't think the vaccinations have changed, they are still the same vaccinations with the same side effects etc.
    Kelly xx

Caro, this particular resource was suggested on a midwifery list as being the person who is most up-to-date on hep b stuff so I thought I would share. Feel free to email her if you want more updated info.
    Kelly xx

If you defer it.. is there paperwork with doing that at the hospital? And does it defer the other hepB needles too? Coz I think it's in the first 3 scheduled needles isn't it? (I can't be bothered looking for our blue book hehe)

I didn't want to give W the Hep B shot at birth. I didn't see the point as he would only be around us and we don't have it. I wanted to defer but DH said "Maybe he should have it" and I relented.

Later on he said "It says here he's had the Hep B vac" and I said "Yes, that was your choice!" I should have stuck to what I wanted.

I planned to let him have it down the track because I really didn't see any need for it until he was looking at going into childcare.

We were definitely given a clear choice (either now or later). It was never presented as being something they had to have right off.

You have to sign a consent form in hospital to have it done. So you just need to tell them you will defer, or not do it at all.
    Kelly xx

I have been thinking too about risk groups etc, I have been vaccinated for HepB years ago cause I was a dental nurse, so does the baby get protected via my antibodies for it or does it not work like that?

Here is a bit I found:

Hepatitis B vaccine

The universal vaccination of infants with Hepatitis B vaccine has raised some alarming concerns -

A 1999 study concluded that "The increase in the number of cases of unexplained neonatal fever seems to be associated with the introduction of routine hepatitis B vaccination on the first day of life". (60)

Midwives have found that the birth dose of vaccine can interfere with successfully establishing breastfeeding as a result of common side-effects such as irritability, decreased appetite, fever, pain and persistent crying. (61)

In America adverse reactions to Hepatitis B vaccine (including deaths), outnumbered cases of Hepatitis B in children by 14 to 1. This lead to the 1999 Congressional Hearings to investigate its safety.

"An intelligent and conscientious physician might well recommend AGAINST hepatitis B vaccine, especially in newborns, unless a baby is at unusual risk because of an infected mother or household contact or membership in a population in which disease is common." (62)

60. Linder N., et al, Unexplained fever in neonates may be associated with hepatitis B vaccine, Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed, Nov1999; 81: F206-207

61. Sandra Eales, Hep B Vaccination at birth - just another barrier to breast feeding , Australian Midwifery, December 2003; 16(4): 4&5

62. Statement of the Association of American Physicians & Surgeons to the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy, and Human Resources of the Committee on Government Reform U.S. House of Representatives, 1999
    You have to remember with studies, they only get financed to do studies once, once it's done, its done and there are no second chances due to $$ involved.

Midwives are still today noticing breastfeeding and settling differences, not for every baby of course, but enough to make them notice.
    Kelly xx

Please excuse me if i seem a bit thick with this.

So, is it better to wait to mabey the day i leave the hossy to have this done instead of the day bubs is born? - Can i do that?
    Im not too sure on having it on the day she comes, but im not too sure on waiting for tow months either.

I'm pretty sure you can do it later... maybe ask the hospital & check on their policy. Our hospital said that we could have it done at the same time as the heal ***** test if we wanted, but we defered.

Jenna and Hamish both got theirs done at birth. Jenna was about 3hrs after she was born, Hamish was about 12hrs or so. Hamish wasn't a great feeder before or after the jab, so I dont think it made any difference. Jenna was a super feeder - very enthusiastic!! OUCH!

All mine have had it at the hospital. Eleanor had hers on day 3 not sure about Kimberley and Alexander due to them being in special care longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast