Thread: Hernia repaired but again painful - C/S or natural birth?

rebecca27 Guest

Default Hernia repaired but again painful - C/S or natural birth?

I need some advice please im real worried about the birth of my baby.

About 2 years ago now i had a lower hernia repaired through surgery but it never quite fixed the problem, i still got pain when exercising or sometimes when i coughed it was sore. Ever since i got pregnant and i started getting a bigger waist (im quite slim so i bloated a lot too early on) and now that im stretching down there it feels like its come back again and now the other side of my pelvis area is now sore. Just yesterday i sneezed and the pain my x-hernia gave me nearly sent me through the roof. Im really scared that they will make me have a natural birth and i feel that i wont be able to push because of the hernia pain or worse it opens up while in labour. I read that they are trying to crack down on women having c/s and i will be going through public hopsital so you cant have an elective c/s unless you have a good reason for it. Will they consider me as a good reason for a c/s? I would love to have a natural birth but i just dont think i can do it, also i have a damaged (sponge) left kidney which if my body is under a lot of stress is very painful so im also worried that the pressure/stress of labour will be too much for my body to handle. Can anyone give me advice on this im a bit worried? I spoke to my doctor about 3 weeks ago now and shes now referred me to the hospital for my first visit in about 2 weeks but i told her about my concern and she said to speak to the hopsital about it at my visit. Sorry this is so long but i just had to let out my worries.

Melinda Guest

Hi Rebecca,

I can totally understand why you are concerned. I would be too if I had similar medical concerns, and I too would be wanting to find out what would happen during labour/birth and whether or not it was safe.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice to offer you, other than what your GP said, and to discuss the problems with the hospital.

I'm hoping that in the meantime, another BB member may be able to give you some suggestions.......

Good luck!

Hi Rebecca
    I obviously can not speek for your hospital but (dpending on where the hernia was) I feel sure that you have a very good reaon for opting for a C/S.
    Also and again depending on where the hernia is, you may need more frequent check ups doring your pregnancy

Alan (Midwife)

oops speak #-o

rebecca27 Guest

Thanx for the support guys and Alan it was a Inguina hernia on my right side, i obviously have a weakness there but if its repaired (with mesh) they usually say its ok to give birth naturally thats what im worried about, having them think that its all fixed when it feels to me like its still a big weakness and even now sneezing i have to support that area with my hand as its to painful sometimes. I think its still ok its not giving me pain like before i had it repaired but i just wouldnt trust it pushing (labour) for a long period of time and i think im going to have to wear a support belt or something while im pregnant as it seems to be getting worse now that im starting to get a bigger waist. Im going to Caboolture Hospital for the birth as they did the hernia surgery there so they would have my files right?

Rebecca I can relate pretty closely with how you are feeling right now. Although my condition is different to yours the feelings are the same. I have had bad haemorroids for years, and have had surgery on them twice (which was unsuccessful both times). I always knew it would be a bit of a problem when pg, but didnt really occur to me until about 20 weeks that the thought of pushing a baby out petrified me because of my condition. Which I imagine is just how you are feeling right now.

I spoke to my GP about it and he understood my reason for wanting to have a C/S (not that I wanted one, but that I just knew my body couldnt handle a natural birth). So I waited for my next OB visit, all prepared with my argument - I wasnt going to take no for an answer LOL!! I was so worked up about convincing him!! Anyway, I started prattling on to him about my condition and why I just couldnt bear the thought of a natural birth & he just calmly said he understood and booked me in then and there!!! I hadnt even got started on my argument!!!

He did want to have a look 8-[ (I guess just to be sure - although all my medical history listed the surgeries). But I am sure that if you just know your body can't handle it, your OB will realise. And if not and you really feel strongly still, then change OBs. Nobody knows your body like you do and although natural birth is a wonderful thing, it is not better for everyone.

I am feeling for you - I understand how you must be feeling right now. Good luck when you go to the hospital - please let us know how you go!

Rebecca
    Normally it would be OK to give birth after repair of a hernia, but it is unusual for you to have pain 2 years after the operation.
    The hospital will still have your files and they will also be able to check you over.
    Good luck

Alan (Midwife)

rebecca27 Guest

Thanx Linda and Alan i feel much better about facing it all now. I just hope i have an understanding OB - they couldnt believe that i had a hernia at my age at the hospital and one time they even sent me home from the emergency room saying that it was just my bowels blocked then my normal GP had to send a letter to say that i had a hernia and that i needed surgery and even when i was just about to go into the operating theatre the surgeon kept asking me if i was sure i had a hernia so yeah i havent had great experiences with the hospital and i think thats what im worried about that they wont believe me when i say that it will be too much for my body to handle having a natural birth.

Thanx again for the support and i will keep you posted about the outcome.