View Poll Results: How Did Your Labour Start?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Contractions

55 37.93%
  • Water Broke

42 28.97%
  • Induced

42 28.97%
  • Elective Caesarean

1 0.69%
  • Other (please specify if you like!)

5 3.45%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Did Your Labour Start?

I was induced with 2 lots of prostaglandin(?sp) gel and a syntocinon drip due to high blood pressure(highest was 158/96). Waters broke 13 hours after the first lot of gel, got the drip put in 10 hours later, then had her 6 hours after that. So technically i had a 5hour labor, real contractions did start til one hour after the drip was put in. I was exactly one week overdue when i had her.

With my first baby, first sign was loss of the mucus plug. The following day, my waters broke, and the day after that I was induced to get things moving.

My second baby (prem); premature rupture of membranes signalled the start....

Jelly Guest

My labour was fairly uncomplicated...... Felt funny at 2am and got up to go to the loo. On the way there, my show plopped onto the ground and an hour later I had my first contraction which followed immediately by more hard and strong pains. They were 7 minutes apart right from the get go. We decided we should go to hospital at 4am and on the way there the newspaper guy pulled out in front of us doing 20kph chucking his newpapers onto front lawns and we couldn't get past him despite DH sitting on his tail and honking the horn...... our 5 minute trip to the hospital seemed to take hours! My doctor visited at about 7am and said that despite my strong labour, I had at least 5 hours ahead of me (sigh)... My husband said "thats like a round of golf and a couple of beers at the club - pretend you're caddying for me" If looks could kill....DH would not have lasted much longer! Exactly 5 hours later at 12 noon I was fully dialated and ready to push....... My baby was born at 12:30pm weighing 3402g (or 7lb 8oz). I gave birth completely naturally with no drug or gas assistance....which I hope I am able to achieve again this time.

mooshie Guest

#1 dd due 23/7/98 - waters broke 3am no contractions, drip inserted at 7.30am - full on contractions started at 10am, pain relief gas (vomitted) then pethidene born via forceps at 5.08pm 24/7/98

#2 ds due 23/4/00 - show on 5th may no contractions, first contraction started at 4am on 6th may became regular ie 2mins apart by 8.30am born at 12.06pm - nil drugs just a shower for pain relief

#3 dd due 5/9/04 - induced via gel 1ml at 4pm on 15th may no contractions slight niggles at 9pm were going to put another 2ml of gel in at 10pm but after internal at 9.45pm was 3cm and apparently contractions 2mins apart (they were not painful) waters broke naturally at 10pm down to labour ward with view on having a bath for pain relief did not quite make it dd born at 11.03pm - nil drugs and the most wonderful birth experience. can't wait for the next lol

see ya

mercy1076 Guest

Hi all, finally found a fun sounding site to play on.
    My waters broke at 5am, luckily had woken up to go to the toilet and I was like hm I think that was my waters breaking! Than spent 10 minnies trying to wake man of the house up to let him know.
    Pretty funny spent the next 3 hours having slight period pain than decided to go to the hospital but was sooo sure they would send us back home didn't take anything to the hospital haha, and of couse murphy's law I was three cm on and they made us stay!
    Had an absolutely awsome birth and am ready to go again in 4months (tooo long)
    Lasted 14 hours no pain killers only had a bit of trouble pushing him out even though Talyn was only 2 and a half kgs. In out in out he went very frustrating. Also had one bad experience in the hospital at the beginning with the Dr mauling me to find out how dilated I was. So rude and he is not touching me again ever. Anyway take it easy all beautiful mothers out there, Maryanne signing out

Hi Maryanne!

Just wanted to welcome you to bellybelly! I'm Tegan, mum to daughter Lily who is 8 weeks old.

OMG at 14 hours labor without painkillers. You legend!

Seeya round,

Hey there Maryanne,

Welcome to BellyBelly! How old is Talyn? Be sure to check out the Baby Buddies Forum!

Look forward to chatting with you!

Melinda Guest

Welcome to BB Maryanne!!

I'm glad you've found BB....it's a great site and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Talyn is certainly a nice name too BTW, and wow, 14 hours without drugs. I know I couldn't have done that (and didn't LOL).

DS#1 came on his due date. I had show in toilet at 7 am I called DH at work which was so exciting. Then contractions like period pain started about 9am so I rang him back and he came home, I had a shower and strapped on TENS machine then strong contractions kicked in. I was at hospital by 11:30 and OB offered to break waters so I thought why not.
    I got into bath with gas (very nice) and when I wanted to ask for drugs I was told I was 10cm so time to push so got out fo bath onto bed and pushed for 1 hr. Mason was born at 4:32pm.

DS#2 went 5 days overdue. I'd had a false labour on the Sunday so didn't get too excited when contractions started again on Tuesday at 2:30am. All day with niggly 5 min apart contractions so I went to bed at 9:30pm and woke up at 1hr later 10:30pm screaming lets go now! So we flew into hossie and I could barely walk. Midwife strapped me up to monitor and I was livid. Laying on back was too painful even with gas. I got into bath which felt much better. 20 mins later water broke and I wanted to push so had to get out of the bath. OB arrived as Angus was crowning and he was born at 12:32am (OB had ****y hair as I'd got him out of bed ha ha)

Was very lucky really as cord had a knot in it and it was around his neck 4 times. Lucky it was a really long cord. Hasn't put me off trying again though

Jackie Guest

Welcome to BB Maryanne, I'm sure you will have loads of fun here

1st DS arrived a week before his due date. Had contractions at about 8am went to the hospital about lunchtime, they broke my waters and DS was born just after 6pm.

2nd DS also a week early,such a nice labor started having contractions 3am and about 4 hours later he was born.

DD, we weren't sure when she was due as I hadn't had AF after DS2, fell pregnant while breastfeeding. The hospital thought she would be born early June, she was born 16 May just over 4kg, so definitely not early. I thought this would be quick and easy, no way, DD decided to take her time, well compared to the other two, went in at about 8pm she was born at about 5 the next morning.
    We lived an hours drive from the hospital and I was realy worried that we wouldn't make it in time, as DS2 was so quick..

Quote Originally Posted by nic78
    Contractions (which I wasn't feeling) followed by waters being broken when fully dilated, spinal epidural for c-section (which didn't work) then a general anaesthetic and then c-section. Went into labour on my due date and DD born 2 days later.
    Nic
    OMG nic that sounds horrendous!!! WHy didn't the epi work? 8-[

mama mel Guest

Hind waters broke, strong contractions every 3-10mins for 55hrs at home, went to hospital to be induced on Syntocin. 61hrs (3 days) in total

\/ DD x2 33 weeks, bloody show, two days later, whosh waters broke, girls born later that arvo, had to put up drip, coz no contractions and "had to be delivered before theatre closed for the day. 2 1/2 hrs after drip babies born 6 mins appart
    O DD #3 36 weeks whosh waters broke, and no contractions again!! went to hospital csec decided because oblique lie ( diagonal) left alone to labour for 1hr, nurse came back and freaked as we were progressing too fast so had to have emerg csec NOW :-k Am 19 weeks pg lets see this time hey??

*Yvette* Guest

1st DD - show on morning of EDD, midwife said will be another week as head had not dropped. Contractions started that arvo around 3pm whilst shopping, waters broke about 3.5 hours before she was born at 5.26am, 8lb 10 oz, 14.5 hrs.

2nd DD - contractions started about 3.30 am 2 weeks before EDD, don't remember show, waters broke about 2 hours before she was born at 5.18pm, 7lb 10oz, 13.75 hrs.

3rd DS - contractins started about 5.30pm 10 days overdue, (I was supposed to go for a checkup at 7 days over, but 'forgot' so I wouldn't get hassled). show at about 12, waters broke about 2.5 hours before he was born at 6.46am, 8lb 5 oz, 13.25 hrs.

Fingers crossed all goes so well this time.

Started having period pain like cramping at 10pm the night before, then they got stronger by lunch time the next day and had a show, went to hospital around 7pm and they broke the waters, then a big blur of pain, and birth at 2.23 am, i only count labour length from when i went to hospital though, before that it was bearable.
    One note though as hard as it is when the hospital tells you its too early and get some sleep, listen to them. I was awake for 2 days and i think that had a lot too do with my not coping and pain tolerance. This time around i am hoping i listen to my own advice and sleep as much as i can beforehand.

juzzy7 Guest

Got severe p/e & Blake was born by emergency c/s (under a general) at 33 weeks. He's now a robust almost 6yr old.

My waters broke at 32.1weeks with the twins & they were born 21hr later after 3 1/2hr no drug labour. :smt091

I was booked in for induction and luckily contractions started the day before. Had waters broken after 5 hours, had epidural and Tilly was here 12 hours from first contraction. I am very relieved I wasn't induced. Have heard it is alot worse.

contractions
    which arn't good at 29 weeks
    they stopped labour but had to have e-c- section as twin as stopped growing and was only getting 50% through cord
    odette

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast