Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long after your waters break ...

Default How long after your waters break ...

How long after your waters break do contractions normally start (naturally, not induced).

My waters broke at 1.15am this morning, and so far, I don't think I've had any contractions. Nothing different from the Braxton Hicks I've been having for the last couple of weeks, anyway.

And what can I do to encourage contractions to start without being induced?

ETA: Thought I'd better add that I have already been to the hospital, and am going back later tonight for antibiotics if labour hasn't started yet.

OOHHH how exciting Cherie!!! my started within a hour or so of waters breaking but very irregular, i did lots of walking, but didnt really work. hopefully someone else will come in and answer your question a little better. good luck though hun

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Cherie, I have posted in the Mods section for you but here's what you can do:

* Walk (moves the pelvis)
    * Stairs (moves the pelvis)
    * Optimal fetal positioning - especially with waters broken first up

That's all you can do really, just waiting for your body to build up the hormones and receptors to get labour cracking along Some women take an hour, some women take 24-48 hours and some more. I wont wish you good luck because you wont need it GO geddem hon!!! *mwa*
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Cherie, my labour has never started with my waters breaking. Just wanted to wish you well. Hopefully your starting to get some contractions now. Hope that you have also had some rest huni. Your going to need your energy

When my waters broke my contractions stopped all together! So I can't help you there.

Hope you can get them going - perhaps those BH have been contractions after all, and they've already done some of the work!

You could try walking (but I wouldn't make yourself too tired), or nipple stimulation?

I ended up on the drip to get mine going again, but if it happens again this time, I'll be delaying that drip for as long as possible to let my body do it's thing. I didn't have a bad experience with the drip, thought I might add just don't want it again if I don't have to.

Look forward to seeing your announcement!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I also mentioned in the other thread, that I recently found out the Monash Medical Centre here in Melbourne (major public & teaching hospital) is letting women go 96 hours with waters broken (with anti-biotics after a certain point) which is fantastic news. Other hospitals have their own rules for induction, some 12 hours, some 24 - but at the end of the day you have the right to decline. I have supported a woman at the Melbourne RWH who went almost 3 days, but there wasn't even a niggle, so she wanted to go ahead with the drip. With prem babies who have had premature rupture of membranes, they keep them going with antibiotics until they are happy for mum to labour.

If you are in this situation and need it, you can ask for it to be turned down or off. They may tell you otherwise, but I have been to an increasing number of labours where the synt was used and at mum's word, was turned down or off, without slowing or stalling the labour at all. So if you are in this situation, be strong and tell them you want it down or off - they have to listen.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Mine started instantly with Zain.

GOOD LUCK SWEETY!!

Cherie, with Paige my waters were broken and contractions didn't start at all (due to her being posterior) and they were happy for me to go over a day without the abs, but I was induced in the end because she passed meconium.

Good luck hun, I know Bean will get the show on the road soon enough.

Cherie, the first time I had no contractions until about 48 hours after my water broke. The second time they started about an hour after my waters broke.

Cherie, how exciting!! I'm not much help, because I was already getting contractions when my waters broke, and they got much more painful, closer and longer as soon as they broke so I went straight into hospital.
    Good luck, hope everything goes well for you.

YAY!!!!!!!!!! How exciting! I have no idea but I hope your baby BOY is here in no time!!

Thanks girls So far, after I asked to be allowed to wait the OB was happy for this to happen. He mentioned something about it being possible to wait up to 4 days, but I didn't ask much about this at the time.

I'm not sure if my hospital has a specific policy on it - they seemed pretty laid back. So far it's been 10 hrs since my waters broke - I'm going in at 5pm to have antibiotics, and they also mentioned that we could consider starting induction tomorrow morning, which would be about 32 hrs, but I think I would probably have some wiggle room if I wanted.

The thing I wasn't expecting .... the water just keeps on coming and coming
    I thought your waters breaking was a kind of one-off thing ... I can't believe how much fluid keeps coming out. I've gone through all the handtowels, bathtowels, and most of the facewashers in our linen cupboard lol.

LOL - yep there's lots of it! I had a continuous drip until he was born I think! And I had the classic GUSH when my waters broke - you'd think it would have all come out then.. but nup.. it keeps on coming! hehehe.

Have a fantastic birth Cherie

Just when you think there couldn't possibly be any more you get another gush - I remember that bit. I got a stack of massive pads from the hospital to mop it all up. The normal maternity ones were hopeless - I was wearing one when I showed up at hospital and I stood up and had a gush all over the floor.
    After 24 hours my bump was noticibly smaller because of all the fluid going.

oh a great tip for the rush is putting a disposable nappy down there... it really works!!! I also used them in hospital after birth.

Oh how exciting Cherie! I was looking at your ticker earlier this morning and wondering how much longer it would be for you - not long at all by the sounds of it!

I obviously have no tips, but I wanted to wish you all the best. Can't wait to see the birth announcement

Good tip Christy!

mooshie Guest

oh cherie good luck i am so excited for you. with my first i was so naive my waters broke at 3am and went to hospital at 5.30am with no contractions, my ob induced me with the drip at 7.30 am, he said i could go around 48hrs but there was a risk of infection (never told me i could have antibiotics and go home or anything, just lets put the drip in and see how we go) with my 2nd my waters broke around 15mins before ds was born and with dd my waters broke then contractions started almost immediately

good luck i will waiting in anticipation

Good luck! My waters broke at about 5am, and I had acupuncture that afternoon which helped things along. I thought I would have him that night, but we dragged on for another whole day!
    The thing that got my contractions as intense as I could get them was nipple stimulation and lying still doing nothing.
    As soon as I tried to focus on other stuff, everything stopped. So while walking is good for some, if its not working for you, stop, relax and try some visualisation or meditation. Sounds wacky, but it really worked for me
    I had antibiotics started about 30hrs after my waters broke, and Hamish was born about 48hrs after they broke. They were preparedto let me go to 50 odd hours before talking induction.
    I had a shunt put into my hand, and they just administered the AB's every 6hrs in the form of an injection through the shunt. I was still able to shower walk around, even go home until I was in labour. Dont be afraid to ask for other options or even negotiate a little.

Good luck!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast