Thread: If 1st baby was late, will 2nd be too?

Default If 1st baby was late, will 2nd be too?

Hello lovely people,

Just wanting some feedback from those who have had more than one baby...

My first was induced ten days past her due date. My second is due in less than two weeks and I'm wondering whether she's likely to be late too, or whether every birth is completely different and she could just as easily come out early (which would be very nice thank you.)

My OB says generally there's a pattern... but I'm hoping I don't have to be induced again at 10 days over.... !

When did your second or subsequent babies come along in comparison with the first?

(Ooh, and if you like, were their weights very different?)

Thanks all.

Cheers,

Jo

Ok, here goes:

Olivia was 10 days overdue, spontaneous labour and weighed 7lb4oz
    Charlie was induced at 38 weeks at 6lb 13oz
    Lexie was born at 39 weeks (spontaneous labour) at 7lb6oz

Hi Jo,

i thought the same when pg with my 2nd!
    I was induced 1 week over with DD she was born at 41w 3.5kilos
    1 went 10 days early with DS he was born at 38w4d at 4.27kilos

My dates were spot on, as i had blood tests for ovulation, maybe it was because DD was my 1st bubs and my cervix was not ready.. who knows?

All the best for the coming weeks as you welcome your 2nd daughter! I hope that you dont need to be induced again

#1 Matthew was born via c/s at 40wks 6 days weight was 4200gms (9lb 4ozs)
    #2 Adrian was born at 41wks 5 days - spontaneous labour weight was 4180gms (9lb 3.75ozs)

My mum had me 28 days over (her dates were right. I was a VERY scaly bub), spontaneous labour (she refused to be induced and back then they let you)

She had my younger brother at 37 weeks, also spontaneous labour.
    Last edited by Pandora; April 26th, 2007 at 03:12 PM.

DD was induced at 41 weeks(due to PE) She was 9lb 5oz, 50cms
    DS was spontanious labour(although had booked induction for that day lol) at 39w4d. He was 9lb 0.5oz, 55cms.

Things i did different second time was taking raspberry leaf tea and EPO tablets. So i like to think this also helped DS come earlier.

DS1# - 39wks+5days - waters broke on there own+syntocin - 8lb 10
    DD2# - 41wks+6days - gel induction+syntocin - 9lb 10

This time I am getting into Raspberry leaf tea, nipple stimulation, EPO....and I am aiming for my first natural birth maybe!

My first daughter was born at 17 dayspost EDD (induced)
    My second daughter was born 10 days post EDD (spontaneous)

I think some women just tend to have longer gestations and others hav shorter ones and some women are just all over the place LOL. I think if you were so far over with your first one and you were induced, yoiu could plan on this little one being late too and if she decides to come on time or earlier than 10 days post dates then that will be a nice too kwim?

I'm at the other end of the scale - DD came nearly 4 weeks early at 36 weeks. No problems with being that early, she was 7lb3oz and came home three days later.

But I made it to my induction at 38 weeks with my second and he wasn't ready to come out even then. I think I would have made it to 40 weeks with him no problem at all. When I was induced I had no sign he was coming anytime soon except for my show, which doesn't mean much anyway.

DS induced 10 days over weighing 8lb 5oz
    DD spontaneous 9 days over weighing 8lb 10oz

Ellie

My first was 1 day over, and 6lb14oz, and my second was 6 days early, 7lb10oz.
    Is your cycle longer than 28 days? If so, that might bump you a few days later. Doctors usually count on a 28 day cycle when they calculate due dates. Your ultrasound would give a pretty accurate date, though.
    Maybe try some of the other suggestions - raspberry leaf tea, evening primose oil, etc. I think there is an article on labour stimulation somewhere here on BellyBelly.
    All the best!

becmc Guest

Unless there is a medical problem a baby isn't 'overdue' until 42 weeks. Inducing without medical reason puts you at a higher risk of complications and c/s. That is what happened to me and my ob 'talked' me into induction saying 'you will not go into spontaneous labour'. Bubs will come when they are ready.
    Unless there is a problem, like high bp or whatever, I really recommend waiting.
    Last edited by becmc; April 26th, 2007 at 01:16 PM.

DD was 3 days early... and im hoping this one will be as kind!

I was begging my Dr to induce me cos i was so over being pg....!

lotusmamma Guest

It all depends how you estimate your EDD also. I used the more accurate one where the legnth of my ovulation cycle and lunar cycle are taken in to account and this placed my EDD as 9 days after the method used by Obs. A woman who has a longer menstrual cycle has a longer gestation and this is something my MIL told me years ago but I hadn't heard around birthing circles until recently. Also, you might like to ask the women in your family how long they gestated for. Some women naturally gestate longer (or shorter) and it can run in families. IMO a woman is not overdue until she is past 42 weeks.

lotusmamma Guest

This is the EDD calculator that I used that placed me as due 9 days after the old style calculator placed me. By using this calculator which seems to me to be more accurate since it takes into account more variables I wouldn't consider myself overdue until I was 23 days over the due date the Obs have given me.

Due Date Calculator
    http://www.empoweredchildbirth.com/duedate.html

Fire Fly Guest

My first was a week late and my second was a week early. Its anyone guess with this one. Im hopeing early.

Just thought I'd let you know that my older brother was born 4 weeks early & I came 4 weeks late - each pregnancy is different.