Thread: If worse comes to worse...

Akeesha Guest

Default If worse comes to worse...

Hi all,

I wonder ladies..if worse comes to worse and bubs doesnt arrive on it's own and I have to have things kick started..do you think I can refuse a c/s until all other options have been exhausted? I mean is that fair to ask? I.E if labour doesnt start within 24 hours of ARM can I demand them trying something else to get labour going rather than making me have a c/s? Is that selfish? Is that too much to ask for?

My ob says he will only do ARM and then a c/s but I really dont think thats fair..what do you think? (he is only concerned about the risks. I know gel is out cos my waters will already be broken.)

Any advice??

Lisa

Akeesha Guest

sorry I meant to write ladies and gents..i know there are some males here on this forum that are a great help..esp Alan and I apologise for forgetting to put that in..

If having your waters broken doesn't work ( but it probably will), you can have a syctocinon (sp?) drip to get things going. You have every right to refuse a c/s until the last possible option.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Lisa, my last birth I attended at the Royal Womens, the waters had broken at Weds pm after an accupucture session, she had the bubs on Friday and all was fine. So even you could run it past him if you could go out for a walk / lunch or even home after your waters have been broken, unless there are complications. In fact, don't ask, say, 'I'd like to go home if my waters are broken until the contractions are x mins apart.' Maybe you can make an agreement with him as to when you can come back in. But they may not let you full stop due to P_O_L_I_C_Y.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Lisa

I agree with Kelly.I've been there and been bullied into that. Don't let them talk you into anything that you don't want to do.I know its hard as I let them do it to me after 23 hours of labour I agreed to a c/s as I wasn't progressing.I wish so much that I didn't, but after labouring that long I think I would have agreed for them to amputate an arm or leg as I was that exhausted I didn't care and was quite out of it.Also with it being my first I think they thought they could push me around a bit to make it work better for them.

Goodluck and be strong.............

Akeesha Guest

Thanks ladies,

I guess I just wondered if I would be 'allowed' but they cannot really stop me if I dont let them do anything else lol. My ob might hate me by the end of my labour though...oh well.

I hear you re policy kelly and I will be prepared for that lovely comment. I don't mind if I HAVE to stay in hospital as long as they exhaust all other options before assuming things wont happen and they have to get baby out.

Lisa

If you go over and they try to use the "Infection will set in" line can't you request anti-biotics, or is that not a good idea?

GOODLUCK!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Akeesha Guest

They told me that if they 'let' me go 24 hours after breaking my waters that I will be given antibiotics so they will do that anyway. They will only let me go 24 hours though.

Hey hoping it doesnt get to that point anyway and I dont have to turn up to the hospital til full blown labour!!

Hi Lisa

It is your body. Yes you can refuse a C/S. If you go over and they suggest an ARM you could ask for them to try the gel first. Also if your OB's says that he will only do an ARM and then a C/S tell him NO, Tell him ARM is ok but then I say what comes next.

Have you thought of doing a birth paln? There was a good discussion on birth plams a few days ago.

But we should not be talking too much about having to have interventions. Your mind is a powerful thing. You should be telling yourself that this baby is comming out without any interventions. You can do almost anything if you believe.

Akeesha Guest

Thanks Alan,

I am trying to be positive and have been doing some light meditations as well. I guess I just want to be prepared in case they say anything to me at my next appt on Weds.
    They wont give me the gel as the ob has seen cases of death in babies where the gel was used in vbac. He said it was minimal but he wont risk it.

I can cope with that...but the rest of the stuff..i just didnt know if was worth asking..if it was doable or possible.

I am going into labour this week though so it will all be fine!!!

I will not need to be induced!!

(positive affirmations)

Lisa

Thats the way girl.

You deserve a big hug for that thought :hugs:

Pietta Guest

Lisa I was totally like you.

The mind is very very powerful and my wonderful mind got me through 24 hours of no pain relief labour after having my waters broken and walking and having the induction drip on full.

Unfortunately i HAD to have a c/s coz there was no choice as my uterus was closing but I could not agree with Alan more- there are all your choices and i have my birth plan and stuck to it. The staff have to have your consent on what they can do unless it is obviously potentially going to affect you or Bubby.

Believe in yourself and you will know exactly what to do.

Good luck