Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Induction

Gabi - I agree with what others have said here. It may all go well, but you give yourself the best chance by waiting (and hopefully avoiding induction).

When we agreed to be induced at 42 weeks we knew we were pretty much crossing off a lot of the preferences on our birthplan. We accepted this because we believed it was the best option for us. He ended up being delivered by forceps as he went into distress - I think I would have ended up with a c/s if this had happened before I was fully dilated.

Take care

I had a similar question to Gabi - how to not let a possible induction due to medical reasons turn into a c-section. ie is there a better non c-secion rate with gels or S&S or drugs, is getting a private mid wife (or the hospital) to do a S&S in the days leading up to deadline going to help much if my body is not showing any signs of labour.

As the medical reasons are GD with insulin, is it possible to monitor how the placenta is going as this seems to be the reason why the Ob is concerned, that the placenta might stop functioning properly before bub's gets out.

Petals, I also had insulin controlled GD. I wasn't happy with induction at 38 weeks so I agreed to go to the hospital every second day for 30 minutes of CTG monitoring. In the end I was induced at 39+4 weeks, but was already 3cm dilated and started having contractions after the cervidil strip (gel alternative) was placed.

How are your blood sugar levels? I firmly believe that if you are controlling your BSL's, either with diet or insulin, then there is no need to induce. I am constantly disappointed in myself for agreeing to the induction when I knew that it wasn't needed. I would have had a far better chance at having a good birth experience if I had waited for natural labour but found it really hard to stand up for myself around the doctors.

As for induction resulting in C-section, that just depends on how ready your body is, how you react to the drugs and how bubby copes on the day.

Good luck

Thanks Artechim - thats handy to know. The more facts, the more likely I am to be able to talk my way into a more prefered outcome (for me!).. and daily monitoring would be something I could easily live with.

Hopefully the G and D scan on the weekend will give me some more ammo as I really do not think I am carrying a bib bub's...

frazaled1971 Guest

Gabi the most important thing is not to stress easier said then done i know ,i never wanted to be induced but yes i was 5 our of 6 times and yes they all went beautifully now i know thats not the case for everyone ,not all labours that begin of there own accord end in a vaginal birth either,be informed they usually say there is a heart rate issue find out what is normal and for how long and how many times its ok for it to be higher or lower if its slow dialation if bub is happy in there ask for more time my last abay was breech and i was not going to have a c/s it was that simple so i looked all this stuff up found out what were the normal ranges so they could not scare me into having one,and when i was told at 39 weeks i had no choice i had to have a c/s i tolf them i knew all this information and the last time i looked it was my body and they were not cutting me open unless and untill it became dangerous for my son ,he was born vaginally after having my waters broken for me which didnt put me into labour so they put me on the drip which they didnt want to do but hay if you wont sighn a concent form they cant do much ,its your body and your baby not all inductions go wrong in fact my only natural labour is the only one i had any problems with pph so if thats how it ends up try to remember you have done all you can and they dont all end in c/s.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

With GD, then I would strongly suggest reading these two things:

Gestational Diabetes: A Symptom In Search of a Disease

Gestational Diabetes & Induction

Bear in mind that the last link there is to an independent, medical database which collates studies from all over the world, assesses them for their quality, and makes a conclusion based on the best quality studies. There is no bias or commerical/corporate interests in it at all.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12