Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Induction make it shorter?

I have been induced 3 times now, twice I was induced with only ARM and the gel and my labours were reasonably quick and easy and not as painful. With my last pg the doctors ruptured my membranes, gave me the gel and I thought that was it, but then the decided to put me on the drip as well..NEVER AGAIN! The drip made things 100% worse and slowed everything down. Instead of having a quick, easy and less painful birth, I went through the most tremendous amount of pain and I am blaming it all on the drip.
    This time I am going to exercise my right and NOT have the drip.

Hi Shannon

Read my post. I had a baby born without the waters breaking. I had to do it after the head was born.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

My brother was also born in the bag, she calls him her moon baby
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Yes I agree with you Shannon. We should keep these men away from normal pregnancy and birth. (oops I should say OB's) some man are OK )

Breaking tradition is a hard thing to do Especially when its good for the ego's Oh and I forgot to add the cha ching too LOL! Do you think the drug companies would mind if we all had natural labours (through either no drug relief or no augmentations)? My guess is they'd not be too happy... besides they've got their cruises to pay for!

Ooooo I am nasty

*hugs*
    Cailin

Good point Cailin. Especially when you consider that the gel costs somewhere between $80 and $90 for each dose.

Shannon
    Again you are right. So before I get in any deeper I think I will find a nice big rock to crawl under

Actually I'm going to bed. I have to work tonight

Well it seems everyone hated their induction lol. I must be really weird then because i didn't mind it at all, i thought the contractions were quite blissful compared to what i was expecting. I pretty much made no noise except the pushing part at the end and i used gas and hot water for most of it.

Although my waters broke naturally after the second dose of gel so maybe thats why it didnt seem bad? But then i had to contractions after that which is why i had the drip lol Feel like i am arguing with myself here LOL

Alan I've read of babies being born with the membranes intact! It must have been amazing to see it!

Kirsty77 Guest

Thats seriously weird!I never knew that could even happen!Its like being born into a bubble!

Tegan its not a problem sweets. You enjoyed your augmentation thats fine! Don't stress, I'm just over the politics of intervention. And unfortunately it can cloud situations like yours that definitley ARE necessary. SO don't fret, we aren't anti augmentation, just when its used unnecessarily

OH and how cool is this: (I found it on wikipedia)

When the amniotic sac has not ruptured during labour or pushing, the infant can be born with the membranes intact. This is referred to as "being born in the caul." The caul is harmless and its membranes are easily broken and wiped away by the doctor or midwife assisting with the childbirth. In medieval times, and in some cultures still today, a caul was seen as a sign of good fortune for the baby, in some cultures was seen as protection against drowning. The caul was often impressed onto paper and stored away as an heirloom for the child. With the advent of modern interventive obstetrics, premature artificial rupture of the membranes has become common, so babies are rarely born in the caul.

jaggard Guest

Who knows if induction really makes your labours shorter. I was induced on my due date with my 2nd due to Sciatica, I was only given the gel once and had a 2.5hour labour, BUT I was already 3cm, soft and favourable as they say!!!
    I didn't even think about my whether my waters had broken when having DS, the midwife did not intervene there so it mustn't be an absolute necessity to break your waters otherwise she would have done it I guess. She told me I could start pushing and 5 minutes before DS was born my waters broke. It was the most unbelievable sound and feeling. My 2nd labour was alot quicker than my 1st, but was that b/c it was my 2nd labour or was it b/c I was induced.... who knows! One thing for sure it did happen quickly and I wasn't allowed any drugs as I was too dilated. Was it more painful, I don't know as I had ALL the drugs with my 1st as she was posterior (9hr labour), my guess is the pain would have been the same.

I have a friend that swears by induction, she demands her OB induces her as she loves the quick labours. She gets the Drip staright away and has her babies very quickly. I don't agree with doing it just b/c you want to get it over and done with.

I've just had a SIL be induced (41+wks) and she went through 20 hours of agony. They gave her gel, broke her waters, gave her the drip, epi, it ended up a forceps delivery, so in her case it was not quick at all.

For me I'd prefer not to toy with nature, I loved going into labour naturally with my 1st, but I liked the quick labour with my 2nd.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by jaggard
    It was the most unbelievable sound and feeling.
    Jaggard, many women who's waters have broken normally have said this too, about it being a totally amazing sensation. I would love to experience it but I plan on a home waterbirth next time, so I don't know if I will get to! Oh well, if DH works less maybe there will be #4 LOL But I think I am really going to enjoy waterbirth.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I thought it was pretty amazing. Took a load of pressure off too!

jaggard Guest

Kelly,

I still think back at that feeling along with the shocked look on DH's face when we heard the waters break and that's probably the highlight (if there is one) with that labour. The pressure in my stomach just dropped, the sensation I got was incredilble and the feeling that everything (bar getting the gel) was going so naturally was calming for me as painful and as intense as it all was.
    I had DS on all 4's whether that was more natural (my midwife seemed to think so). She really was a wonderful midwife, I was very lucky as I went public as we moved towns half way through my pregnancy and had to go public.
    Looking forward to your water birth story (when it happens)! I always said I'd like to try a home birth in water, funny thing is both my labours I've attempted a bath and hated it, slumping over a bean bag on the floor has done me the world of good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12