Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering...

Default Just wondering...

Just wondering why some women request not to be given drugs ie syntocinon to assist with the delivery of the placenta????

Not sure Leonie, I never even gave it a second thought. I just thought it was hospital policy.

I dont want it because its often unnecessary, and just so the medical staff can get home in time for dinner. I personally dont want unnecessary drugs in my body. It's just not natural, who knows what unwanted, negative effects it could have.
    There are probably medical reasons as well, that since looking into it I've forgotten about. Preggo brain

Cos the bloody thing will come out on it's own!
    All 3 of mine did within 20 minutes of birth, I think its totally unecesarry.

yup what lulu said!!
    plus i have my own oxytocin running around my body i dont need the artificial stuff!!

Have a read of this article.

I also didn't have it with number 2 or 3 and within 15-20 minutes I had got it out without the needle. I thought it was just 'done' but then think about it... what did they do before all these unnecessary needles?? Oh that's right, most of the time the placenta came out ON ITS OWN...

The article snacks has pointed out to you is awesome and explains all the reasoning. It depends on your Dr though. My Dr insisted on giving the syntocin but agreed to wait until the cord had stopped pulsating (about 2min) before giving it.

Snacks has provided a great article there!

Most hospitals will have you sign a waiver should you decide not to go ahead with the Managed 3rd stage.

I will definately be going with a physiological 3'rd stage next time! Learnt my lesson last time!!

hehe I had to sign 2 waivers... one for the needle, and one for co sleeping!

Well I never had it originally because its a needle! They were dreaming if they thought they'd even get it into the same room with me! LOL. My first Synto needle was because of the PPH after Baby #3. Exactly and only when it should be used.

Technically I still don't have the synto injection to help with the delivery of the placenta. I insist on allowing it to come out by itself before they are allowed to turn on the Oxy drip because I don't want the placenta or any part of it to become trapped. This time around I am kind of hoping that they will wait to use it only if there is signs of pph (loss goes over 500ml). I am still going to allow the canula anyway - but that can be their "Just in case". *is difficult patient - and damned proud of it!*

I didn't have it for #3 and the placenta came out within 15 minutes. I think it is unncessary unless i had have a history of PPH.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Cos the bloody thing will come out on it's own!
    :yeahthat:

After the rather short and uncomplicated labour with DD1, I was mortified that someone jabbed me without permission OR warning. I was told what it was for and asked them why, if I managed to squeeze out an 8 pounder all on my own, my body would be unable to do this seemingly small task.
    No answer...ggrrr!

So what if you've had a retained placenta in the past. Is it best to have the syno?

Its recommended esp if you had a PPH w/ a retained placenta.

Do your research.

Main thing is to remember that you have a choice!

I have just read the article Snacks recommended and found it very interesting. After giving birth to DD2 I was put on Oxy drip but it still didn't come out. I have a midwife apt on Wed and I will bring this up with her.

Sara - Do you know where I can get some more information?

I can email you what I have on it if you like Bek.

Also, have a read through some of the stuff on the Third Stage of Labour website.

I'll do a bit of searching in the mean time and see if I can come up with anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast