Thread: Labour Induction - acupuncture

Question Labour Induction - acupuncture

Hi everyone, just a quick question for the Melbourne girls - has anyone seen Winton Terry for an acupuncture session for labour induction?

I'm desperately trying to avoid a rpt CS and have had 2 sessions of acupuncture with Winton so far and nothing is stirring!

Goodbye due date, hello overdue....

where in melbourne are you???? i can recommend someone near waverly private, after 2 sessions you should be going! he gareentees it

Hi Kris,

I had 1 session with Winton, and the next day my waters broke. Unfortunately nothing else happened, so I had to have an induction (I was having acupuncture to try and avoid an induction!). I've heard on this forum that this is quite common - i.e. acupuncture breaks the waters, but then nothing else happens.

Good luck!

I'm in Hidden Grove at Keysborough. I don't know Melbourne very well as we've only been here since January but I think I'll wait now and see what the OB says tomorrow morning. I don't have much confidence now in the whole acupuncture thing as he was really confident that 1 session would do the trick and I've now had 2 and still not even a niggle! I've been given some Chinese herbs as well by Winton but they don't seem to be doing anything either! He said he has a 90-95% sucess rate for kicking off labour but maybe I'm an exception!!!

Patience, patience, patience......

Hi Krisp,

It sounds a bit familiar to me unfortunately - I've had two sessions with Winton (yesterday and the day before) & there isn't much going on. I'm 12 days overdue today & have been scheduled for induction tomorrow. He gave me herbs to drink and I'm not sure I'm reaping any rewards there either. So sadly, sweetpea, it doesn't sound like you're the exception...not that it is of any comfort, I'm sure!

It's disappointing, but I'm trying to stay positive now that we're so close to the induction & hoping that perhaps the acupuncture has prepared my body a bit and will help make for a less traumatic induction process.

Here's to hoping SOMETHING happens for both of us tonight!

x

AJ

Hi AJ,
    I'm just wondering if you've had your bubba? The acupuncture unfortuneatley didn't work for me, I'm now 40+6 and didn't bother going back for a 3rd treatment yesterday as Winton wanted as he said he was confident after the 1st and nothing, said again he was confident after the 2nd and nothing so I've given the whole acupuncture idea the flick! Did it work for you?

Hi Kris,

I have! We had a little girl Ellis Ava on Saturday morning after having 1 lot of Prostin gel inserted in Friday morning. Unfortunately, I can't say with confidence that it had anything to do with the acupuncture sessions. Winton offered a 3rd session on the Friday after we'd been for the gel, but we didn't feel it would be worth it to be honest.

I posted the birth story in another post but haven't mastered the whole link thing in the forums, so have gone for the good ol' cut & paste option:

As of 12.43am Saturday, I am the thrilled mama to a beautiful little girl.

After 2 acupuncture sessions and loads of positive thinking, we were still waiting by the time our induction date came round.

We had one lot of gel inserted at around 8am Friday and it was enough to dilate my cervix enough to allow the membranes to be ruptured. After quite a long wait for a Dr in the birth suites, my waters broke of their own accord (with slight meconium staining) and labour progressed naturally for as long as was safe for bubba and I, but after a long day, in the end I couldn't give enough 'oomph' to deliver her without a bit of help and the monitor showed she was starting to wear out as well. So she was finally delivered via vacuum extraction after a drug-free labour almost 7 hours from my waters breaking.

Our little girl was left with us for some great skin to skin and fed beautifully within 1/2 hour. I have a few stitches following an episiotomy but otherwise feel great! We were transferred back to the Birth Centre for some much needed rest and left to ourselves. We were home within 12 hours.

We couldn't be happier with the midwife from the labour ward of the hospital, the Drs on duty and the way our birth was managed in general. All my fears were totally dispelled plus some!

I'm sorry to hear it hasn't been too successful for you either. I SO wanted it to work for us.

I sincerely hope things get going for you soon. I'm sending you some big, big labour vibes.

Take care,

AJ.