Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maternity pads... your advice please!

Question Maternity pads... your advice please!

Oooo, we're getting into the business end now, and I have to think about maternity pads.

Well I naively decided "oh I'll just pick some up from woolies when we do groceries", and just do that like with the baby stuff.

I got there and there are a million different brands, for all occassions it seems. So I stood in the pad isle as I mused about maternity pads (which I find really amusing, as its usually in and out with that isle, and last week I stood there for about 5 minutes thinking TMI out loud, and thoroughly embarrassing Shel ). Until I cam eot the conclusion I've got NO IDEA what I'll need, how many I'll need, or even what a good brand to buy is!

So what are your opinions on brands, what is good for what time (no such thing as TMI here), are any reknowned for leaking, which ones are like sandpaper and which are nice and soft, how many should I have for the hospital? Any other info I don't know. You gotta help me girls!

I like the ones in the purple pack (the libra I think) but not the super skinny ones because a bit of padding in that area is nice after baby has come out of it. I'm not fond of wings because they're not very comfy but in the first few days they're good because there is a lot of blood.
    They have interesting facts on the peice of paper so you have something to read on the loo.

It is so confusing isn't it hun! I had a c/s but still needed to use the thick 'surfboards" for about a week and I found that the Kotex ones were great. I think they are in a green packet? I took 2 packets with me to hospital and that ended up being for 5 days but I only used one pack and my hospital provided a pack too even though they didn't tell me that they did before I went in. A rough guide is 8-10 a day but I think I used a little less than that.

After the first week when the flow lessened a bit, I used the Stayfree ultra thin maternity ones. They are much thinner and better for a light/medium flow. I needed pads for 6 weeks, and ended up back on just regular stayfree ultrathins, that I used to use at night with my period.
    HtH and good luck! Remember you can always get Shel or a visitor to duck out for you if you are in for longer than you think or if you run out.

I have always bought the big cheap ones for the first couple of days, as you seriously change soo often, and they are expensive!!

After that I too have bought the purple Libras. Very comfy and work well. Dont get the skinnys till it settles down though!!

Dach, the toilet bins at hossie are always filled with the little facts sheet... I think those pads are pretty popular!!

Kotex.
    Give me the surfboards any day.
    If you are one of the almost70% or women who needs stitches, you will appreciate being able to trear it open to stuff an icypole inside!

kotex here too!! and yes i found ones with wings chaffed on my legs! after the heavy stuff it was trial and error as to which ones were suited to me and my very swollen bits!!
    someone has mentioned before using depend undergarments as well and commented on how good they were, i *think* it was nurse dan

Kotex maternity all the way here! Gotta love the surfboards, I used them for two weeks while my stiches were healing, and they were a godsend. I know they look ugly now, but trust me, you'll be kissing them afterwards I had some Stayfree maternity as well, but I didn't like them half as much.

OMG Ray, I'd forgotten! My hossy had these ace little ice packs for your bits, I LOVED them LOL!

Another vote for Kotex here too! I used Kotex for the first couple of weeks (I think around 3 packs?) then moved on to the Libra maternity ones I'll be doing the same again this time!
    Oh, if you want another option for the first couple of days you can put two cheaper "surfboards" together lengthways (overlapping a bit) and thats great as there is just sooooo much going on down there! Lol

yep i had the ice packs as well then when we got home it was condoms with water in them and frozen!!!

I used the Kotex Maternity ones for all my pregnancies..

Only leaked once and that was when I was asleep. when my loss lessened I went to regular pads for at home but wore the Kotex ones when I went out for comfort (comfort I wouldn't leak)

I have two packs of Kotex ones in my hospital bag, then two spare packs of surfboards (I think Libra) & two packs of thin maternity ones for when I get home. By the time I get through all of those I figure we'll need to go grocery shopping anyway!

I just bought the coloured icy-poles from the supermarket for ice packs.
    I used the green ones for my fanny and I ate the other ones (it was ever so tempting to ofer MIL a gree one lol)

I use Kotex for the first 2 weeks as I always have a heavy loss and the use the regular Libra ultra thins when my flow lessens.

I usually take two packs to hossy and if by any chance you need more I'm sure Shel can got to the shops and get more, but two should be enough.

hugs xoxo

Alicia, you could try the clothpadshop, there have been some stockings of maternity pads lately I think. Good for post partum as well as that first period which returns, then can be used for nights. Or there are other places too, PM me if you want the links .

Quote Originally Posted by dachlostar View Post
    I just bought the coloured icy-poles from the supermarket for ice packs.
    I used the green ones for my fanny and I ate the other ones (it was ever so tempting to ofer MIL a gree one lol)
    dach!!! classic

There's one brand- i think it's Stayfree that have infused aloe vera in them and they were great... I hate surfboards but they are totally neccessary the first few days

Another Kotex person here! After my loss slowed I also swapped to something thiner. How many you need will depend on your loss - everyone is different. I went through a little over 1 pack (+ about 10 pads which were provided by my hospital) whilst I was in hospital and I was in for 5 days.

HTH

MG

I too liked kotex and wore 3-4 directly after birth and wore 2 for the first few days then when it lessened i just used normal pads as they are cheaper and don't feel like a pillow stuffed in your undies. I really hated the wings as they were annoying when you have to change them so many times a day, when you have to take all the bits covering the sticky stuff off.

I am never going to look at green ice blocks the same

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast