Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear... *sigh* (article)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Oh dear... *sigh* (article)

Baby bonus creates hospital havoc

18jun06
    THE introduction of the baby bonus on July 1, 2004, caused more than 1000 scheduled births to be delayed, a new study shows.

In its May 2004 Budget, the Federal Government announced a maternity payment $3,000 for every baby born on or after July 1.

Research by Melbourne Business School economist Professor Joshua Gans and Australian National University economist Dr Andrew Leigh has shown there were more births on July 1, 2004, than on any other single date in the past 30 years.

"We estimate that around 700 births were shifted from the last week of June 2004 into the first week of July 2004," Dr Leigh said.

"But more troublingly, we found that around 300 births were moved by more than two weeks."

The researchers also found that the share of births that were induced or delivered by caesarean section was high in July 2004.

Dr Leigh said hospitals needed to plan for July 1 this year, when the bonus rises from $3,000 to $4,000.

"Maternity hospitals should expect fewer babies in the last week of June and more in the first week of July," Dr Leigh said.
    Dear, oh dear, oh dear....
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Kelly - I read this in the paper too - and I thought the same thing ...the only good thing is that some people who previously might not have waited for a natural birth but opted for an earlier induction or elective c/s - will wait now in the hope they will get the extra $1000 (or $2000 in some cases )

mooshie Guest

i think this is just sooooooooooooo sad.

it reminds me when i went to the milkbar to buy the paper after the announcement of the new baby bonus in 2004 and i was obviously already very pregnant (due in september) and this rude rude rude man said to me in a really sarcastic voice - "gee you will be alright you'll get $3,000) i mean wtf you really think money would make me have a baby - sheesh this ****es me right off.

Why couldn't the government grant the xtra amount of $1000.00 to those who gave birth this year aswell. eg if you gave birth in june and got $3000 why not give them the extra $1000 after the july 1st date????
    After all we are all helping the nation by having Australian born babies!! I am sure doing my part

The plus side is hopefully a lot of induced labours may have been prolonged to have natural labours!!!!
    Last edited by kahmanya; June 18th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.

Geez, how pathetic. I can't believe people push aside the welfare of their baby (and themselves) for a bit of cash... and their OB's let them too!

I totally forgot about putting the claim form in until someone mentioned it, and only did it recently. I know others sent it off straight away to collect their $3000. I was too busy being a mum I registered his birth 1 day off the time limit too! LOL.

Urgh it makes me so sad. Matilda was due June 1st 2004 and when I was overdue I got told heaps of time I was "holding out" for the $$. I could have used it at that time in our lives, but I wasn't having a baby just to get the $$....

Christy

I got the same thing when I was preganant with Asha ... people used to say to me oh I bet you are hoping to be late and I used to say that the extra $1000 wasn't going to make up for the extra $$$ I would have to pay out in child care for the extra 12 months she would have to go before starting school ... that usually shut them up!!!

So sad to think that people want to delay the arrival of a child jsut to get extra $$$. Perhaps I am just silly but I always thought children were had for the love not the $$$.

Cheers

That article is sad, but not surprising.

Paige was born 3 days before that payment came into effect (on her due date) and if I had a dollar for every time I had someone ask me if I was going to cross my legs and hang on till July 1, then I wouldn't have needed the money.

LOL I was actually thinking of you when I read the article, that you probably got it worse than I did.

Oh yeah, like you wouldn't believe. Myself and two other mums who were all in hospital together were interviewed for our local paper asking our thoughts about the new payment. One of the Mums was actually due on July 7 but had to have her baby earlier on the 25 June because of complications. Poor thing was devastated.

I would like to know how you can "hold on" to a baby when it wants to come out.... I would have done this with all my pregnancies because when the labour pain really hits I'm always wishing I could pause it for a while

I think they are talking about scheduled births here i.e. inductions and caesars. Another angle to this - I bet there will be so many to critisise the women, but it's amazing how many asked if pregnant women were going to 'hang on' thinking it was a joke... I definitely would be letting baby do what it needs to do, $1000 is nothing compared to a gentle entrance into the world for my baby...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!

Yes but it gets dangerous too where because so many spots are booked up by deferring by a week, others started deferring by two weeks for the sake of making the date...
    Kelly xx

I know that I wouldn't have minded the $$ seeing as we got around $700 when Matilda was born, but I also know that the hospital said that they were fully booked for the first 2 weeks in July & wouldn't be able to cope with any "spontaneous births" WOW.... They said they would have to move them to general wards.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Originally my Ob was planning a C/s for 37wks on 11th July ... 10 days ago when he rang to book theatre was booked out for 11th anyway - so He made it for 14th - but said it was better anyway to leave them longer. It is a major public hospital though and I doubt they would bend to such whims as mums wanting extra $$$$.

Unless some private OBs are ... might be full house still when I go in - just hope I don't go into labour too early and there is no room for me and the boys. Though being twins they may need special care .I hope they do have room as it is closest hospital to offer NICU/special care.

Trish I would think that you would be given priority over other mums especially if your boys need NICU/special care. They would have too.

It's all a bit here and there. Some women out there are actually having babies for the money while the majority arent. I agree with Shannon re non-emergency life saving etc births. Down here in Hobart there has been a massive increase in women having babies, so much so that our public hospital is unable to cope the last month and women have been having their babies at the private hospital next door. I have probably worded this all wrong, but my basic gist is- I see no problems in having a c/s booked for early july if it only means a few days over. But as with Trish it does make you worried about the stretching of staff and resources in the hospitals, esp for all the women who are due to be brought on or have spontaneous labour during this time. I think it is all just going to become a fact of the new payment, that July is going to be very busy, as I know in 2008 it is going up to $5000.

Love

I think its a bit materialistic to wait, but then again, if I was due to have a c-section say, today, at 36 weeks or whatever, and it was SAFE to wait till 1/07 I would probably enquire about having the c-section later. Probably sounds really selfish, and I feel a bit of a money hog saying that, lol. I am sure that for the women who did this were told it was safe to do so. Their doctor or hospital woudlnt have let them otherwise, yes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast