Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK... Positions please!

Default OK... Positions please!

So we have finished our Antenatal classes and I feel good about the type of birth that the hospital encourages... ACTIVE!!!

I want to try and go drug free, and have an active birth - not tied down to the bed.

Can people give some advice on what positions helped you through the pain etc. What they found worked well and what didn't. I know everyone is different and what works for some wont others and vice versa, but I really want to 'practice' some positions before the birth.

Also some remedies... ie shower/bath etc that you found helpful???

Thanks heaps

all I can say is dont sit down I sat with my little angel birth and I still nealry 3 years on suffer tail bone pain

I was a dvised by a few friends who have just had #2 and #3 etc, that standing in the shower was the best thing they did, they didn't do this with any of their other kids, they recovered quicker didn't tear and wasn't as long when staying inthe shower, one even gave birth there and passed the placenta she said of her 3 this was by far the easiest

hope that helps, all I can say is dont sit, and what ever you do dont lay down

Yes, don't lie down...this makes labour more painful. walk while you can...and after that, lean into a beanbag or something ont eh floor, kneeling on a comfortable mat...it's great, because you stay upright, and in-between contractions, you can rest. Shower is great...if you have the chance, the bath is wonderful...I ended up having my daughter in the bath. She was a natural VBAC birth and it was wonderful....I can't imagine NOT birthing in water (but some don't like pushing in water, and feel they need to be more 'grounded' for delivery). Go with the flow on labour day, trust your body, stay up-right, and you'll aid a straight-forward birth.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Everyone has different shaped tailbones so your shape probably was one which had lots of pressure on it. Leaning forward will move the coccyx up.

New Active Birth by Janet Balaskas has some great suggestions, but some I find to be popular during labour, as well as beneficial:

* On a chair, backwards sitting (leaning over the backrest, perhaps with pillows)
    * On a fitball, leaning over the bed with some pillows
    * On a mat on the floor, leaning into a beanbag or your partner in a chair
    * On the bed, headrest up, leaning over the headrest
    * On the toilet is great for contractions but you will learn to hate it later LOL - I don't mean labouring there but just as a general comment!

Remember, during contrax, legs apart, knees bent, lean forward (45o is good) Oh and relax those shoulders!
    Last edited by BellyBelly; June 22nd, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

and relax you mouth, too...and keep your moans loooow (and as loud as you want!)

Kirsty77 Guest

I LOVED the fitball under the shower! I didn't want to leave this position and was there for hours and hours. I also leant over the bed and rocked my hips(about shoulder width apart) I was stuck to the bed for some time to which I really regret as it slowed things down sooo much. I couldn't walk to much as the pain in my back was unbearable thats why the leaning forward positions worked best for me.

WOW... that's great... thanks girls keep them coming!!!

Definitely rocking hips in a circular motion or back and forwards is great, helps get baby down and turning into a great possie.

If you have a posterior bub, there's a whole heap more you can do to help get bub turning, but the kids are about to kill the cat so I will have to post later LOL
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I agree with Kelly - go get the 'New Active Birth' book....soooo encouraging to read, spech for first time mums. It has quite a few yoga positions you can practice in order to limber up for your labor/birth which are quite easy to do...no standing on your head or anything
    I've told my husband he has to sit on the bed with a few rubber bands he can flick at me if I try to lie down!!! So maybe get a few of those too....
    And good luck!

Thanks I just bought the book on Ebay!!!

Should get it next week...

If anyone else has more please let me know... it's great hearing others ideas!

The fitball is fantastic during labour, it really helped baby to move down and I found that leaning forward on it really helped with the pain.

Hi Mel,
    I haven't read through everone's responses so sorry if I repeat...

I think it's good to be aware that every woman and every labour has a preferred position. Personally I found any type of sitting hideous. Fitballs were awful for me as were 'birthing stools', toilets eewwww for me. However I have seen women birth to their hearts content whilst rolling around on a brightly coloured ball!!!

I love to be in an upright position in early labour. I like to move around continuously. Hip swaying is fantastic to help the baby get into the right 'groove'. The motion helps with pain relief also. Showers are super especially if there are two nozzles. One for your belly and one for your back.

I love to hang or pull down during labour also. For instance putting your hands on the top of the door of a cupboard and pulling down. I found that fantastic. Many indigenous cultures have a special rope that is fixed or that other women hold the end of for this purpose. I like to squat during a contraction. Leaning into a bean bag often is helpful. All of my babies have been born whilst I was either squatting or on all fours. I liked that way best of all, and it just seems to be my way. I do the all fours thing and my husband knows it's time!

Hands and knees position is also good for slowing a fast labour too, if you find it's all happening too quickly it can be helpful.

I wish hospitals had suspended squat bars like you describe! They would be great for the pulling down urge some women get.
    Kelly xx

Yes, I agree Kelly, though you can improvise. Some hospitals are actually looking into this however due to litigation I don't know how it willo go. It seems there is some concern about back injury and women falling. I can see the reasons but it does take us away from our primal birthing urges. Let's hope a balance can be reached.

The safety handles that are installed in hospital showers are great to hold onto and squat and pull down at the same time. I have used this myself and it is a great 'labour tool'. Another option is to lower the bed if you are in a regular hospital as low as it will go. Encourage the birthing woman to pull down on the triangle that is used to hoist yourself up on when you are in bed (do you know what I mean?). This is a really helpful tool also that women seem to benefit from. However I haven't done that one myself!

Fitball in the shower would be my perfect combination! That is what I am planning for #3!

With Olivia I spent HOURS in the shower, leaning into the corner of the shower with the hot water pointing at my back/hips, and although I came out wrinkled like a prune, the relief/distraction was ideal, & it was a good position for me to rock/rotate my hips. I then moved onto a fit ball and it was wonderful. I also leaned over a bar fridge and rocked/rotated my pelvis....it was just the right height!

With Charlie, the shower was good, but not hot enough, nor was the water pressure strong enough, so I found it more irritating than helpful.

I spent practically my entire labour with Charlie on the fitball....& then stood/squatted to give birth...

So with the fitball, your sitting on it, and rolling it around???

Does it hurt more, when you are sitting on the area where bubs is pushing down on?

And do your legs get really tired from walking and swaying, or is it the same as when your not labouring???? (does that question even make sense?)

Thanks again for all the ideas, they're great!

With the fitball I had the midwife lower the bed, and I sat on the ball with my knees wide apart leaning forward onto the bed. I didn't move all that much, gently bounced a little bit and swivelled my hips a bit but it was more just being in that position that helped

Yep, I just sat on the fitball with my legs apart (ummmmm, dignified!) and rocked and bounced & moved....I honestly didn't get the feeling of tired legs or anything......I think I was that pre-occupied with the contactions and labour pains in my back to notice. I used the side of the bed to lean on and DH's hand to squeeze on as contractions came.

When I actally came to the pushing stage with Charlie, I got off the fit ball and onto the bed for an internal, but then got off straight away (no WAY was I lying down!!) and I pushed from a standing/squatting position, again, squeeezing DH's hand and a midwife was on my other side....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast