Thread: OMG!! Its 9cm Long!!

Exclamation OMG!! Its 9cm Long!!

I am sitting here at work (naughty naughty, ,shouldn't be on BB!) and in front of me is a packet of Spinal needles. We often have one of the nurses from the local hospital bring in stuff like this that is close to the use by date in case we have any use for them.

ITS 9CM's LONG!! I hate needles, & have always said there is no way I could handle having an epidural & after seeing the size of this thing, I think I would faint at the mear suggestion of having one! Its 9 cms long!!!

Fiona I am the same, I panic if anyone touches my spine or suggest anything with my back etc, it's a phobia I must have & I apparently have this panic stricken look when Midwives have asked how my pain management was going (during labour) & if I wanted anything & started rattling them off, apparently they get to epidural & I lose all colour in my face & cant shake my haed to say no quick enough!!!

Now its' cemented Never will I let anyone put a 9cm needle into my back!!!

It doesn't go all the way in!!! But I am with you in the phobia - I can help insert but I NEVER want one myself. (Although you should never say never )

OOOH No my phobia with needles is bad & so I will say NEVER to that..... LOL...

Never to an epidural for me too!!!! You can all slap me if I ever have one

Arrrrgh i cant stand to have my spine touched...epidurals completely freak me out..9 cm ..thats long:eek:

Jo

kirsty Guest

I have a hatred of needles, but most people laugh because I have two tattoo's!! But I always said I wouldn't ever let them stick something in my back during labour but when the time came I had to have an emergency c-section & I had a spinal & can't believe how pain free it was for me.

So I too am of the "never say never" club.

Haha - I was a never girl too, but ended up with one firmly inplanted in my back!
    It sucked - but oh well - I'm OK, and only a bruise to show for it

I have no big deal about 9cm needles, but I didn't want an epidural in the first place!

Actually, I'm thinking "only 9cm?" because everyone goes on about how big they are! 9cm doesn't seem that big when you think it has to go in your spine and leave bits sticking out, I assume that if a blood presssure cuff won't fit on your arm due to obesity that a 9cm needle won't reach your spine.

OMG, I have a huge phobia of needles (goodness knows how I'll cope during pg!) so this is one I definitely hope to avoid!

Ewwwww...that's 9 cms too long! I'm with the girls who are 'scared' of needles...definitely not for me, but if I am in so much pain that I want/need anything I'll be taking it...hehe! I just hope it's not that bad but I don't think I'll be that lucky.

Sherie, just think of a 9cm needle near your spine & I think you'll be fine!!! Hee hee

Hehe, yeah that bit does scare me a bit Tracey! I am trying not to think about any of the birth stuff just yet...haha...I think I'm in denial...actually, come to think of it, I don't want to be there...I'll just drop in after he's born maybe!?!?

tan1979 Guest

I hate needles too and was dead against having an epi because of this but when labour got full on I was screaming at anyone and everyone for one! In the end I didn't get one as I was in transition and nearly ready to push but I tell ya I was desparate to get rid of the pain and a 9cm needle would not have phased me at the time!

The needle they use for a CVS is longer than that! It totally freaks you out and you can see it go into the belly!

Not looking in combination with the power of the mind is a wonderful thing if you're not adverse to an epi. I refused to look at the trolley and kept trying to remind myself how I was going to be free of pain; but I did expect it to hurt more than it did. The local stung a little but for a 9cm needle, I certainly didn't feel the epi needle going in at all.