Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Overdue - options?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,435

    Default Overdue - options?

    I'm now 40weeks 2 days pg with my second bub. After hoping like crazy that I wouldn't go early, of course now I am overdue! I have an appt tomorrow at the ob clinic to put together a plan. I was induced (early due to PE) with my DD, but have no BP issues this time (so far so good). I really would prefer not to be induced with this bub, as long as bub and I are both ok. I guess my questions are - how far will they let me go over? What sort of testing will they do with bub to make sure all is still ok? What options do I have? Fingers crossed it all happens soon and I don't have to worry about it!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forestville NSW
    Posts
    8,944

    Default

    Soph, have you read the articles on the main site about induction & natural induction methods? I plan on starting the natural induction methods as soon as I hit 38 weeks but there are some that I would wait until 40 weeks to try. Acupuncture is supposed to be incredible and really effective. Bowen massage as well.

    I guess it depends on the hospital or OB as far as how long they will let you go over. With Matilda I was 10 days over before they even started discussing what to do now. I was happy with that as well. At 14 days they began monitoring me where I had to go in & check that she was all good using fetal monitoring. At 16 days I was induced. I could have asked for a few more days but I felt like I was pushing it already.

    Your options are to start with natural induction methods, to ask to be monitored if you are concerned at all, to request an u/s if you want, and to not be induced if that is your choice as well. I personally will be trying everything I can before I resort to being induced this time around, but that is my choice as well. I may just have what DH calls a "slow cooker" ... some gestational times are 38 weeks and some are 42.... It all depends on bub & your cycle so to me I'm happy to hit 42 weeks and then start thinking about it.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Giving the gift of life to a friend..
    Posts
    4,264

    Default

    I agree Soph, try some natural ways to induce labour if you can....

    My OB told me I am a 41weeker!!! Both girls were exactly 41wks!!!

    It's not too much longer now!!!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    If I go over this time, I will be going in to see my midwives and asking for a stretch and sweep. They have told me from about 40w+5days they will do it.
    Just another option for you.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    Wheatie to make sure that bub's is ok they may request an ultrasound to make sure that your placenta is still functioning. I had a few done myself (more due to high BP and suspected stress on bubs) but they check the blood flow etc between the placenta and bubs through the cord. They will also check the level of fluid. If both of these things are fine then its perfectly safe to keep bubs in there until he/she is ready to make an exit. The stretch and sweep has been known to get things started as has the acupuncture and of course good old DTD. They will probably want to do an internal with your permission to see if things are starting to move at all. They are more likely to let you go if things are slowly starting to happen IYKWIM. It also hugely depends on your hospital/OB - mine was determined to have as less intervention as possible so as long as you and bubs were OK they would let you go the 2 weeks over however I've heard of other hospitals/OB's preferring to induce.

    HTH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •