Thread: Painful coccyx after birth. anyone else?

Cool Painful coccyx after birth. anyone else?

5 weeks after giving birth to my little girl i still have a really painful coccyx.
    It is tender to touch and hurts if i sit directly on it.
    As a teenager i fractured it and I wonder if i may have fractured it again during birth, or if this is normal pain from all the moving it has to do to let the baby out.
    (If also hurts when i do my pelvic floors?!)

Not that there is much anyone can do about it, but i was just wondering....

Has anyone else had a painful coccyx?

OMG yes!! I had a really painful coccyx too. I remember it still being painful to sit even 8 weeks after my girl was born. I talked to a physio in hsopital who showed me a few excercises to do, but I dont really think it helped. I was then referred to another physio, but she was pretty useless and just looked at me as if I was an idiot. I kept telling her it was painful to sit and I had to sit on one bum cheek otherwise it was just way too painful. Sometimes when I got up my coccyx would click!!

I was told that it is not really normal to have a painful coccyx that long after giving birth. I think mine was to do with how I had such a long pushing stage of labour and ended up having to be on my back for monitoring and pushing.

It does get better!! I dont mean to alarm you, but i think it took about 2.5 or so months before I had no pain to sit. Hope yours heals sooner!

Thanks for replying Karina, someone understands my pain! lol

Funny you mention it, my coccyx or sacrum clicks too! Not sure which it is, but there is a definate click down there.

Darn, 2.5months. ah well, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Cute ticker pic BTW!

Hi AngeA,

Congratulations on your beautiful bub!

Due the mysterious and miraculous changes that the pelvis goes through during pregnancy and then labour, it's not uncommon for things to "shift around" a bit. Sometimes old trauma patterns (eg. a fractured coccyx!!) re-surface as the pelvis changes position and opens up to allow birth to progress. Sometimes it's the birth process itself that can place pressure on the ligaments and bones of the pelvis causing things to be a bit ruffled afterwards.

I'd recommend seeing an osteopath or physio to help re-align your pelvis and lower back, especially seeing as it's making your pelvic floor exercises uncomfortable (because we all know how important they are!!) HTH

I had a damaged coccyx from my youth......and after giving birth to Olivia it was like stepping back in time painwise around the coccyx area.......I mentioned it to my OB who suggested physio, but I have to admit I never looked into it......BUT, I started swimming again 6 weeks after I gave birth adn the pain immediately abated, and was gone within 10 days of swimming pretty much daily......

So I am not sure if you are in a postition to get to a pool.......even a few laps may help?

Yep me too!

And im sorry to say this but its coming up to 4months for me and its still the same One of the ladies in my baby buddies is still having pain at 4months too.

Hopefully it goes away soon for you

Count me in too! I have never had it with the olther three, but this time round I can hardly sit some days. Mine doesn't sound as painful as yours though Ange as it's not tender to touch. Alister is 7wks old tomorrow and it hasn't changed at all. I did have a bowen treatment 2wks after he was born, but I think I may have to go for another one.