Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People scoffing at a drug free/ epidural free birth

Hi guys - I'm only 6 weeks but work in the health care industry. For a couple of years i have commented that i wouldn't be comfortable with an epidural psychologically as i had a botched up lumbar puncture and it was the most traumatic experience of my life thus far. Even though i know an epidural is different the thought of having a needle in my back almost makes me break into a sweat! Well....i always get that knowing look like 'you know nothing..wait until your in labor and you'll change your mind'. I agree that who knows what will happen at the time i've never been in labor but right now, no pain feeling normal - CAN'T DO IT!!! I wish people would just say 'fair enough'. Why does everyone else know best!!!!!!!

Sal Guest

Anna, I wanted one of those too LOL. It's admirable to aim for that, and realise that it is entirely possible, but also be aware that you won't know how you're going to feel and cope until you're in the thick of it. I'm sure you're more likely to go drug-free if you want that up-front.

I ended up having gas then TWO epidurals, as bub was in the wrong position and my labour stalled. I was just unlucky. Next time around I hope for a much better birth.

My SIL recently had her bub, being induced (high BP and protein in urine) and didn't have any drugs and didn't make ANY noise. Amazing! We all call it the Scientology birth LOL.

I am cheering you on, hoping you get your drug-free birth

my sister had 2 healthy beautiful babies naturally with out any pain relief what so ever. it is doable. It depends also on your pain threshold and how much you can stand. She did so well. first time she was in the shower second time she was over a fit ball. its toally doable you just have to take it as it comes eveyone is always going to have an opinion. I wanted a natural birth but had a emergency C section. So on the day go with how you are feeling and how bub is going. Luv TG

joh Guest

Go for it Anna. I've done it 4 times - 1 birth centre, 3 home and if I can do it anyone can, I whinge for days about a paper cut on my finger. In my opinion fear plays an enormous role in how we birth. If you can do as much as poss to minimise your fears now, you have a much better chance of suceeding with a natural birth. We all have fears around birth and better to get them off your chest and recognise what they are while pregnant than have them come up during transition, which can often happen and inhibit our ability to totally let go, surrender and allow the baby through.

Hey Anna- All the best for your Labour!! Like alot of people have said if you have the right mind set then your 90% there already! With bub#1 I had said no drugs but ended up having pethedine, with bub#2 I vowed I would never try pethedine again after #1 and had a complete drugfree birth(he came out weighing a whooping 9lb 12oz!!) I really focused on my breathing and that kept me going, I also had an amazing midwife who didnt leave my side throught the whole labour,she knew what I wanted and helped me achive it.

t.lee Guest

Hi Anna,
    I have had 3 births all completely drug free - it is very possible! I too get everyone looking at me strangly when I tell them I won't be having epidurals etc - stick to your guns - you don't have added stress of what the drugs may do to your baby or you.

My advice would be read up everything you can about natural births you won't consciously remember it during labour but the information on positions etc will be in your subconscious if you need it!I can't remember if you are going private or public? Either way make sure the hospital knows exactly what you want - if you are going public & don't have an opportunity to do a birth plan before the day when you arrive in labour get your support person to let the hospital know your wishes - you will be too distracted & have your energy focussed elsewhere by this point!
    It does sound unbeleivable but because my hospital (2 children were public,last was private) knew I wanted a natural birth no-one offered me any drugs & it NEVER even crossed my mind to ask for any!

My last bit of advice is still be prepared to change your mind once in labour. If you find you can't cope & want the drugs have them, don't beat yourself up over it - every one copes with pain differently & you may need something mild to help or a full-blown epidural.

At the end of the day your goal is to have a healthy happy baby & this will happen either way!
    Last edited by t.lee; July 18th, 2006 at 01:11 PM.

go for it annaT, I have had 5 births, first 3 all natural, next 2 were induced and i had just gas, stick to your guns girl, its what you want, so keep the dream alive, but dont be too disapointed if things go in a different direction, at least you know what you want.

People suck, why do they feel they have to belittle you and your feelings about birth!

I ended up having a ceasarean as Lucy was breech and once labour was established it wasn't progressing fast enough. HOwever, I did labour for 2 whole days with zero pain relief, and got to 7/8cm's. (And DH would be happy to tell you I don't normally have the best pain threshold).

Of course it was painful, but its a different type of pain than you've ever experienced before, and you know you are working towards something amazing, and if you have the mindset you do of wanting to do it drug free then I think you will.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12