Thread: Please help me- i hope its not prelabour

Default Please help me- i hope its not prelabour

Ok, as you can see im only just going on 30 wks. Though the problem is that at around 2am this morning i started having really bad period type cramps. they stayed for a couple of hours but eased of. Ive actually been having these cramps for a few weeks now, but not as bad as lastnight/this morning.
    Throughout today ive been getting niggling pains on and of, constant lower back pain, and well my girly bits ach a bit. It feels like bubs might have engaged herself cause i feel like there is so much pressure down there. - Would that be the reason for the achy downstairs region??

I rang the hosp and they said until i have frequent contractions there is no real need to worry, its just a part of pregnancy.

What are your thoughts??? Am i worrying over nothing?? And does this sound anything like your experience before the onset arrival of your bubs??

Hi Rach
    Without me asking you quite a few more questions it is a little difficult for me to say for sure but your pains could be Braxton hicks. Most people believe Braxton hicks are not painful however for some women they can be quite painful. Baby engaging early is not a problem and does not mean that your baby will be born soon. If you are willing to answer a few questions I could perhaps be a little more sure about what is going on

Thanks Alan, i don't mind answering a few questions. Ive been having BH's for a bit and some occasions there irrating, but not what i call painful.

Was the pain there all the time or did it come and go
    If it did come and go how long did the pain last how long was it between pains
    If it did come and go did each pain last as long as the one before
    Did anything make the pain easier
    Was there any bleeding
    Is the ach in your girly bits there all the time

For starters there has been no bleeding.

The crampy pain comes and go, probably every hour maybe a little longer. It's like though when im having them in this hour or so there cominng and going as well. Its kinda like they will last for a minute or so then stop then 10 minutes later agin etc.. I get a run of them and then nothing again. Though the pain in my lower back, acroos the bottom of the hip area just above tail bone is constanly there.

The ach in my girly bits has been there all day. Sorry but if TMI, it feels like you do after a good night of doing the deed. But there hasn't been any of that!!

Ive been using the heat pack and baths. My body honestly feels like it does before i get my periods. The crampyness, and i also get really achy legs before them and have that all day as well.

OK hun I still think that it is Braxton hicks.
    If your pains become regular and the gap between the pains become regular for more than a couple of hours then you should contact the hospital. For example if the pain lasts for 30 seconds and comes every 15 minutes then contact the hospital.
    The ach in your girly bits is caused by an increase in the blood supply to this area. You may also notice that your girly bits are swollen this is normal and nothing to worry about. If it becomes too uncomfortable an ice pack may help.
    The ach in your lower back is also normal and caused by the change in your centre of gravity. Hot packs and massage may help this. You could also try using a TENS machine.

See a physio or osteo for the lower back pain if you feel it is bad enough. They should be able to help. A physio can fit you for a support belt if it turns out that you have pelvic instability or spd and talk to you about how to manage it to minimise the pain.

Thanks Alan, my mum actually has a tens machine, so i might grab it of her. Yes and i have noticed the swell down there!!!

Well here's an update since last post. I ended up going to my antenatal appointment the following day. I explained th BH's i was having and that i was still having them at that point in time. The doctor hooked me up to one of those mointor thingys for about 30 mins were it confirmed that i was having "frequent" contractions. They were coming evry 4-5mins but weren't that painful so i thought nothing much of them, but the hospital did. So up to delevery suite i go. Anyway after an internal, and a sleepover, ive been told that i have a irritable uterus.

Question- anyone had or have this and did you go onto to full term?? Another question, im still getting them constantly, probaly every 10-15 mins. They only last 30 sec or so and aren't that painful, but do they settle down because im really getting sick to death of them!!!

Hi Rach
    The problem with irritable uterus is that we do not know for sure if you will go into labour early. For some women the irritable uterus is just that and they manage to carry their bub’s to term. However if the frequent contractions cause your cervix to shorten and dilate then an early birth is probable. There are a couple of things that may help to settle the uterus down
    Bed rest, No orgasm, no heavy lifting, no physical exercise.
    Sometimes the doctor may also give you drugs but this would usually only happen if there are signs that your cervix is changing.
    If your contractions increase in strength then it would be a good idea to go back to the hospital.

Thanks Alan. Yes ive noticed that if i stay in bed and not move they ease. So ive actually sent emails to all of my lectures advising them that i won't be in next week, will be laying in bed. And i will have mum around to help me when my husbands at work to help look after my son.