Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public or Private?

Default Public or Private?

Was looking at responses in "Hospital stay" I was also curious, upon reading many of your replies, which of you went through the public or private system?

By that I mean, private obs, midwife, douhla (not sure of spelling), private or public hospital?

Just curious as not sure whether is worth getting private health insurance specifically for having a bubs, or not....

What do you guys think and what have been your experiences?

Keen

I went public with everything and had no dramas at all. Of course you are in your own private room when you are in labour and at my hospital there was only two ladies to each maternity room anyway, and personally I liked the company.

With Kameron I had a lady with me the night I delivered and she went home the next day so I had the room to myself anyway. With Lachlan I was alone the first 24 hrs then another lady joined me, and it was nice to have someone to chat too who had just gone thru labour herself.

Love

Jackie Guest

Hi Keen,

I went public with all three of mine, couldn't complain at all. I had them at the Royal Womans in Brisbane, but am guessing that it is pretty much the same everywhere you go. You'll get good and bad.
    I have thought about taking out private health cover, but only because I am now much older and there are more risks, but then I thought that if there is some kind of emergency, I might not be able to have my doc there, and I should get the same treatment as a Private patient.

In the passed I've had an elective operation, for which I went as a private patient, the cost was less than it would have been had I been forking out fees for who knows how long, I got the Medicare rebate for the surgeon and anesthesist. The only thing that I had to pay 100% out of my pocket was the actual hospital room, which was shared with another lady and cost me about $250 for the stay.

So my vote is for public

Public too! & I loved my hospital & the team of midwives. I had my own room which I shared the bathroom with one other woman, and that was fantastic. I had an amazing team looking out for me & I wouldn't go anywhere else again.

Mine is a tricky circumstance. In theory, I would be totally happy to go public. However, circumstances for meant that I went private. We already had full top hospital private medical insurance due to a previous sickness of mine, and also we thought that we might need to go down the IVF route (we didn't) so hence we had full private cover.

When I finally got pg with Olivia we had moved to Darwin, where there is a distinct lack of medical services (as not many Dr's want to live in the Territory and there is no Med Shcool up here).

There is one public OB who had just recently been in court for negligence, so that scared me, so we opted for private.

Through my pregnancy I saw my OB fortnightly and had a scan at each consultation, which for me was fantastic, having had a late missed MC previously, those scans gave me SO much reassurance and made me so much happier and confident.

I had a simple labour and delivery, which was attended by my OB, but could have easily been handled by midwives. I did really appreciate the private room and I really appreciated the on-site paedeatrician (sp) which wouldn't have been available in the public.

DH was able to stay with me in a double bed and got fed for the whole time we were in the hospital, which was great adn supportive and convenient.

So, for me private was great........

I went to westmead hospital as a public patient. In westmead public you can be public or private patient the difference is that private has a blue carpet and public had an older yellow carpet and that private was one bed to a room and public was 2 or 4 depnding on the size of the room. The delivery suite was the same regardless. My SIL went to westmead private which is private only. At the public hospital I got a much better standard of care, friendlier nurses and also follow up visits at home which SIL didn't get. I geuss that it depends on where you live but I think that I would be mad to pay for private when I can get better care through the public system. DH and I are thinking of private cover but even if we do get it we'll still be using the public hospital.
    Although I must say that the cafe at the private hospital was much nicer.

I'm going public - I dont have obs cover on my insurance.
    It doesn't worry me at all - In Geelong the private obs have to do time in the public system anyway, so there is a good chance if you are having problems, the best ob in ton will see you anyway.
    I've had no problems at all with public, the only issue is the outpatients clinic at the hospital for the rooutine checks schedules you in between 9 and 12, which is really inconvenient for my work.
    So I went Shared Care instead which means I get to choose my appt time with my GP, and have additional checks with the midwives.
    The hospital looks fabulous, the birthing suites are reall nice, but I haven't seen the wards yet. I've been told they have been recently upgraded, and there is pay TV for each bed (if you want to pay for it....)
    Fi

Well the private hospital near me no longer allows the father to stay overnight. They have to leave by 10pm! I think f you're paying for it and no-one else is in the room then they should be allowed, but no!

The public hospital has ok birthing rooms but the bed rooms have 4 beds in most rooms.

Hhhmmmm.... am thinking might be best to save my money!

Keen

I went Public with Aidyn as well.
    It was alright I guess...
    -we had a bit of a wait (more than half a day) to get a delivery suite after my waters had broken.
    -Some of the midwives were not-so-nice... but I dont think it matters whether you are pucblic or private.
    -DP was not allowed to stay overnight either... Aidyn was born at 3am, and when I was moved up to the ward DP was told to go home, which sort of sucked.
    -I was in a room sharing with 4 others, until I cracked it on day 2. Had just gotten Aidyn to sleep after 12 hours crying, then the lady next to me got about 10 guests at once... just as I was trying to sleep. So I started bawling, and they moved me into a private room. Not bad hey? LOL

Melinda Guest

I went private. I wanted to be able to have my own obstetrician, my own room, and for DH to be able to be with me as much as we liked!

I had some shocking midwives, but I think you get good ones and bad ones no matter where you are......in fact, I had SERIOUS issues with some of them, that to this day that still upset me!

I haven't had a baby yet but....We considered both and decided to go private. The main reasons were:

- Own OB
    - Private room rather than shared ward - privacy and DH can stay
    - Staying for 5 days rather than 24 hrs - feel a little better with our first although will probably want to go home

My friend recently went public and generally had excellent care although baby was breach and they let her go into labour for 11 hours because a doctor wasn't available to deliver. She had to share the room and was recovering from a ceasar, other people were noisy with lots of visitors toddlers were running through the room into her area. She said she would have liked to go private if she had the cover.

It cost her no more than $600 for her care and expenses for the whole pg
    and my hospital fee alone will be $780 + other costs and the OB is expensive.

i went public last time and ahd no dramas, and lovley midwives, am going publie again this time, havent met my midwives yet but the one that booked me in seemed really nice

take care
    Lesley

I went public last time in the UK and they still have wards so you have to share an area with sometimes up to 8 women.
    They did have rooms but you had to pay for them.

I am going public again. I can't wait to have my own room or share with just one other person.

I did post this before, but for some reason it didn't stay here...

I was public with Alex, and there's no way I would ever go private.

I was hospitalised for a month prior to Alex's birth, and with the excess of (minimum) $50 per night, that's $1400 just for the prenatal care. Then when Alex was born, he (and I) were in hospital for a further 10 days (each) at $50 per night, which is another $1000.

I just couldn't afford to have private health cover with that sort of out of pocket expense.

And even if I did, I wouldn't have had Alex in the local private hospital, because Shepparton Private didn't do birth, you had to have the baby at the local Base Hospital and then transfer to the Private in a taxi. Not my idea of a good time.

I wouldn't have been able to have Alex in Shepparton anyway, because he was so early, and also because I was so sick.

This is my first bubs but we`re going Private - private OB and his midwife and will be delivering in a Private Hospital.

I was hospitalised 5 weeks ago with a severe kidney infection, I was admitted as a Public Patient as I wasn`t fully covered (will be in 6 days time) but I still saw my Private OB and had a private room with my own TV and got free newspapers daily.

My sister had always gone public and a friend of mine had her babies private and the difference in care they received was enormous that`s one of the reasons I swang towards going Private. And I like the idea of getting to know my OB and trusting in him before bubs is born rather then having someone you don`t know there.

Take Care

Deeanne

Well this'll be our first as well but I'm seeing private OB but we don't have private health insurance so the birth itself will be through the public system... Except our public hospital here doesn't have a maternity section and all deliveries are done at the private hospital so I don't think it makes too much of a difference in my case anyway LOL!

I geuss that knowing your ob is an issue but depending on the model of care you choose in a public hospital it is possible to have your baby delivered by someone you know. If you can access a team midwife service you will see the same group throughout your pregnancy and one of them will deliver your baby. I geuss I'm lucky to be near a hospital that offers a range of options in terms of care.
    I felt a bit sorry for the other lady in my room she was from the country somewhere and she had been airlifted in because of complications during her labour. It must have been awful to give birth in such an unfamiliar environment so far from home.

You just reminded me Dachlostar... I was able to book myself into a special group of Midwives at my hospital... I got one of the last places available. Basically it is to give you a better chance of getting to know them, and them you. Throughout my antenatal appt I never got the same midwife from that team twice though... but one of them who delivered Aidyn had actually seen me the day before for my 39wk appt, which was really cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast