Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Public or Private?

*Yvette* Guest

Hi Confusedegg & welcome to BellyBelly.

I'm so sorry to hear of your recent loss. I can only imagine how hard that must have been for you to go through, & I'm sure you're still grieving. You'll find plenty of support & people to talk to here.

Big hugs.

karen&luke Guest

I had been tossing up whether or not to bother with private but I am so glad I did - I went to visit a friend in a major public hospital last night and couldn't believe how impersonal it all seemed. My friend was so exhausted and was having trouble getting her bub to feed properly, and 4 people to a room plus relatives and screaming babies hardly seemed like an ideal environment to recuperate after giving birth and get to know the bub. I know that a lot of people have fantastic experiences in public hospitals and I also realise that I only saw a snapshot during the time I was there, but it made me confident in my decision to go private. Not sure if we will be able to afford it forever, but for my first bub it is the way I want to go.
    Karen

Lee-Ann Guest

I went private for my first daughter and although I was happy with it I didn't like the fact I still had to pay for things that you get for free in the public system when you fork out so much money for Health Insurance. When I had my second daughter, we didn't have health insurance but we did have the money to go private. But I decided I'd rather keep the $3,000 and try public. I have to say I was so happy going public and felt proud that I had saved myself all that money! I don't like staying in hospital at all be it public or private and only stayed 2 days after my 2nd daughter's birth, but then had to go to Princess Margaret Hospital anyway as my 2nd daughter had a few problems and well they have excellent care there and I had my own room etc. This time I decided to go public again. At my local hospital they said the minimum stay is 3 days but if I chose to go home earlier, if all was well, they'd let me go. Like I said I don't like hospitals be it public or private and would prefer to be home in my own bed. In all honesty I found nurses coming in a disturbing me more of a pain than visitors. I actually enjoyed sharing my room with another lady at the public hospital and the nurses & midwives were fantastic, so that sealed the decision for me this time too. But I am having my own Ob.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123