Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry leaf

Default Raspberry leaf

Hey all...I'm on a bit of a fact finding mission

Raspberry leaf and its effect on labour: Safety and efficacy
    RM, CM BaHS(Nsg), GradDip EdMyra Parsonsa, (Childbirth), Midwife and Research Assistant, RN, CM Dip Remedial TherapyMichele Simpsonb and RN, CM Cert Antenatal EdTerri Pontona, Nursing Unit Manager
    aPostnatal Unit-Westmead Hospital Australia
    bMidwife-Royal Hospital for Women, Randwick Australia

Abstract
    The purpose of this study was to examine the safety and efficacy of raspberry leaf products consumed by a group of mothers during their pregnancy, by comparison with a group of mothers who did not. A retrospective observational design was used. Subjects were women who birthed their babies at Westmead Hospital between January 1998?July 1998. The sample consisted of 108 mothers; 57 (52.8%) consumed raspberry leaf products while 51 (47.2%) were in the control group. The findings suggest that the raspberry leaf herb can be consumed by women during their pregnancy for the purpose for which it is taken, that is, to shorten labour with no identified side effects for the women or their babies. The findings also suggest ingestion of the drug might decrease the likelihood of pre and post-term gestation. An unexpected finding in this study seems to indicate that women who ingest raspberry leaf might be less likely to receive an artificial ruture of their membranes, or require a caesarean section, forceps or vacuum birth than the women in the control group.
    xx yogababy

~Belinda~ Guest

Well that sounds good. I take 2700mg per day at the moment.

Bindy, how many tablets is that?

~Belinda~ Guest

I am on Blackmores. Each tablet is 300mg. I take 3 tablets x 3 times per day. Unsure whether I should increase (bottle says 4-5 times per day but I thought initially that was excessive).

That's exactly what I'm taking and the same quantity. I want this baby out!!

Thanks 4 the info Yogababy,it's very interesting.May i ask wether u just take this in the last trimester ?As i thought i'd read that u shouldn't take it in the first trimester,is that correct? TIA

hey artemis...great Q!

yep most research indicates that the best time to start RLT is b/n 28-32 weeks (third trimester)

the advice not to take it in the 1st trimester is due to the fact that it can cause uterine irritability...and this in the predisposed woman may cause spotting, cramping and even miscarriage

(fresh) loose leaf tea is the strongest form of RLT...and therefore the most effective
    tablets are a dose...and therefore may not cause as much uterine irritability

RLT does not bring on labor but improves labor outcomes

xx yogababy

That is sooooo interesting, I took RL when I was pg, and recommended it to a friend - she mentioned it to her OB who FORBADE her from taking it as "it hasn't been researched enough and it's effects seem to be way more negative than positive"
    Anyway, I'll def use it for next pg!

I used the tea, to great effect I think First bub, posterior position, first stage was 10 hours from waters breaking to 10cm. All went very smoothly.

I did question my OB about it, and while he doesn't ask his patients to use it, he was perfectly happy for me to do so, saying that he'd never seen a woman who has used it have a 'bad' labour. That was enough for me, I started straight away!

Thanks 4 that Yogababy,that's very helpful,i think i might try it this time.I'm lucky in the fact that i tend to have relatively short labours (under 10 hrs) but still if this is going to help even a little bit it's worth a go.

~Belinda~ Guest

I sure do hope it helps me!

I definately recommend it - I used to drink it to help regulate my cycles so I knew it was effective for me.

I drank RL tea from 35 weeks, and had effective BH's straight away up until delivery at 40 weeks exactly. I wasn't drinking it for labour, but moreso to prepare my uterus for the afterbirth recovery. Worked a treat! I'm still drinking it (6 weeks postpartum) and will continue as per usual to get AF back into a regular pattern

I took RL tablets during last trimester. Still went 10 days over (after 2 S&Ss) & was in labour for 22 hours - guess it doesn't work for everyone!!

I've just started drinking 3 cups of tea bags a day but i reckon i might increase it to 4 over the next few weeks just to be sure. Need all the help i can get with a planned VBAC.... also i love how the study says it may reduce the need for intervention such as c-sections!

I highly recommend it. My two sisters took RLT in the last trimester of all of their pregnancies and they seemed to almost spit their babies. I'm sure that also has to do with other factors also, but I'm definately following their footsteps.

It is only recommended in last trimester and is best to actually drink the tea, but if you're not able to or don't like it, then the tablets are good too.

and if you're worried at all, somehow I don't think a company like Blackmores are going to put a product on the market they're not 100% sure about the safety or that they haven't researched. They've had RL on their shelves for a long time, so if that's anything to go by - all should be ok.

I'm a naturopath by my study but am having a little break from it for a while and used to recommed it to all my preg customers with no probs at all. It's good that they're doing research on it too, least it will get the scientific backing it deserves.

Good luck to all

My two sisters took RLT in the last trimester of all of their pregnancies and they seemed to almost spit their babies

um, I meant that they almost spit out their babies, not actually spit their babies - ha ha ha lol

Yeah I am taking the tablets - 3 tablets 3 times per day. I have the Blackmores brand also, and I agree a company like Blackmores would know what they are doing :-)

I am drinking the tea bags at the moment. Trying to get onto multiple cups a day but it has been so hot here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast