Thread: re childbirth what should i do

angelickaren Guest

Question re childbirth what should i do

hi guys i am really unsure what to do my ob has told me to try a vb birth but heres why i am so unsure

josh was 11pounds 4 oz and 41+days he was induced and i was in labour for 5 hours pushed for 2hrs and i was then taken to op theatre for forceps delivery or c/section i ended up having forceps and i had a thrid degree tear i pph and i had two blood transfustions so i was in hospital for 5 days very unwell

flynn was 13pounds 5 oz he was also induced at 37 weeks due to high blood pressure two gels and then my water were broken at 10am very good labour and then at 2.01 born after 10 mins of pushing so overall good yeah well think again i had him at a public hosp in adelaide which is a training hospital so trainee stiched me up due to little tear which you would think easy hey hmm
    ob walked in and said to my disbelif oh my god you have done this all wrong and then she had to cut me open again and stiched me up all this time i was in the legs were in the are (tmi) air and then she was finshed and i was told to have a shower which i wanted and then went into shower had a (tmI) huge gush of blood flow passed out eg pph again then was given the drip to contract utreus and that helped not transfustion this time but still shakey

so my ob has said i should try vb birth due to having good labours but i am just unsure about afterwards he said they will put drip in straight away to stop pph also due to this bubs is a different father it maybe different eg size smaller i was thinking c/section but he said why should i go through c.section if i can go vb due to recovery time so i guess i am just unsure what to do i think he nows what he is doing also he will induce at 37 weeks or c/secton then to size i am going for an u/sound on 19th may for them to measure bubs i just think can i go through this again wouldnt c/section be better for me so i guess guys please just let me know what you think thanks in advance

Wow those are some big babies!!
    As your doc said though, there is a very good chance your little girl won't be as big if she has a different dad.
    I would always choose a VB over a csection (all things being equal) but then I don't have 13lb babies....the aftermath sounds pretty awful for you.
    What a tough decision for you, I guess you can only listen to your gut and go from there.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

An induction is better than a caesar risk wise, but that said, an induction makes it more likely you will have a caesar, but not by a huge percent - i.e. it's not guaranteed.

I am sure there was a post by you on here before about PPH and we had some good replies for you, PPH can happen with a caesar as well. As grose as this sounds, what many say you should do is lick the placenta after the birth and it apparently does stop PPH. You can also eat foods rich in vitamin K before the birth.

You can always put in your birth preferences/plan that you do not want students stitching you up. How did you birth your baby, on the bed, upright etc? It would be beneficial to be upright, squatting which opens the pelvis an extra 30% - a bigger baby doesn't mean a huge head - which is the main concern I think for women!!!

What is the main concern for you right now - what is the main thing that is bothering you about vaginal birth?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Good luck sweety. My suggestion to you would be to read to c/s stories and the procedures and recovery times etc, to enable you to make an informed decision. Also as Kelly says there are different positions to birth a baby which can help. It sounds like your OB is doing the right thing by monitoring you etc.

Love

angelickaren Guest

thanks for your replies
    kelly i think it is after both of my births i felt like a train wreck with josh i was in bed due to an epiduial and flynn i was out of bed most of the birth gave birth on bed but bottom of bed was down so i was like sitting giving birth i guess my ob only is thinking what is best for me he also has said c/section you can also pph as well or worse i was just feeling like c/section was the way to go but i guess he is the doctor and knows best also after i saw my ob on tuesday just gone i had to go and get my anti-d shot the midwife at the hospital and i talked about it and she said the drs in the private hospital are doing to many c/section so some drs have changed there minds about some cases but i guess if the health of me or baby are at risk the ob said he will do what is right for me and bubs thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Whatever you decide to do, just remember that it's you who can make your own decisions and choices. There are plenty of Obs doing unnecessary caesars for all sorts of reasons, I am not saying all do, but I think many could have been avoided if women had more information hence confidence to make their own choices. As the New Idea article highlighted last week, 80% of Ob/Gyns are choosing to have caesars, and many hospitals have caesar rates from an average of 30% and some up to 70-80%. So clearly something is wrong.

HOWEVER

Everyone has a unique set of circumstances to consider. If you want a caesarean after all you have been through and read about then that is your choice, which will be the right choice. I know you are due soon and need to decide what you want to do, it sounds like your Ob is reasonable and supportive so I am sure he will understand whatever you decide. After all, he wouldn't have a job without you, so he should be there to serve you, not tell you what to do according to his philosophy - he should provide unbiased facts and statistics and support you no matter what path you choose.

Good luck - lots to think about but listen to your heart. You will carry this birth with you for the rest of your life. How do you want to remember it?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.