Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: refusing certain midwife during labour?

With my first child, i was barely 19, very naive and had a male midwife. At first i was very uncomfy with him, but he was really nice, and stuck up for me alot and explained things that by the time i had to have a shower (had an episiotomy and was still very out of it from pethadine) he came in with me, i didnt care about being naked...

With Declan, the midwife was great. DH had never seen a child born before, and didnt know how to support me, the midwife showed where to rub my back, told him when to give me a drink, just generally helped both of us.

The midwives in the Womens here in melbourne were very mixed. I was on the ward for weeks on and off, at one point i started bleeding quite heaviily in the shower so i buzzed for a midwife. Noone came. After 5 mins of bleeding i went back to my room and buzzed. Nothing (this is about 5am) After 10 mins in the room i went out to the area where she was meant to be, and she was asleep on the desk. Im crying by this time. I go back to my room and buz, and about 10 mins after that she rocks up, bleary eyed going "what do you want?" I tell her the prob, show her my pad (which i was on my second one since i got out of the shower) and she goes "Its nothing, go to sleep" and walks out. A week later i had my baby, it was the start of an infection which nearly killed my daughter. She didnt get the dr, and the dr didnt come in and see me that day. I was so angry... I ended up talking to consumer advocacy and they made a complaint against her on my behalf on the fact she was asleep!!

Sorry for the long post guys, i just needed to get that out...

Very interesting! I was just thinking about this the other day. I had one really terrible midwife who not only was flirting with my husband (not what you need anytime let alone during lobour!!!) she also joked when I was throwing up - "don't you like throwing up?" like it was strange that it was not a nice experience. Anyway, I majorly clashed with her and I told dh that if we see her next time the he's to organise another midwife. She was just no help whatsoever and just let me go for hours without talking to me or telling me what was going on. Everyone else was fantastic! Luckily the shifts changed and I had a great midwife who actually delivered Louis!

It makes me wonder whether I should contact the hospital before labour to let them know?? Or should I just let them know when I got in??

chelleg Guest

We're a horrible bunch aren't we LOL

I reckon we're allowed to be fussy, its not like we're going out of our way to be b!tchy or mean, some people you just dont gewt along with. Hey, we're going thru the worst pain possible (that i have been through anyway!!) i think we're allowed to try and grab some control over SOMETHING!!

chelleg Guest

I know, i know!!! I was JOKING!!!! Hence the '' and the 'LOL'.

I will be a picky as hell whenever i get to have another baby!

LOL chelleg my great friend is a midwife & she said "God help the midwife who looks after her!" hehehe... she's going to be at the upcoming event with me so I told her I'd be on my best behaviour

Kristie, I would have slapped your midwife....How damn rude of her....I think some people need lessons in bedside manner, and how to make the client feel happy and comfortable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12