Thread: retained placenta

Default retained placenta

Hi, I am 17 weeks preg with number 3 and just have a question, I had some haemorrhaging with DD1 about 650mls and placenta came on its own but I did have to have the injection, then with DD2 I lost about 900ml and my placenta had to be manally removed in theater cos it just wouldnt budge, my question is, will this happen again? it seems that I loose more blood each time I didnt need a tranfusion (I think they only give it if its over a litre) but haveing my placenta removed in theatre was not pleasent, even though they put me out I was away from DD2 for 3 hrs and I felt like a pin cushion with all the drips they put in and my throat was so sore after they put in a tube. So what are my chances of having this happen again, has anyone had this happen to them more that once? thanks in advance

If you have had it happen once before, there is a slightly increased chance of it happening again. I had it happen after my 3rd baby and also had a manual removal under GA in theatre so I know the pain of being away from your baby for that long (hug). I also had a severe PPH (post partum haemorrage) that required a blood transfusion. When I had my 4th, there was the increased risk, but it did not happen again and there was no PPH either. But I do know of some women who had it happen with more than one birth.