Thread: severe afterbirth pains after fast FIRST labour

ttcno2 Guest

Default severe afterbirth pains after fast FIRST labour

hi
    my first labour was 3 hours and afterwards i had severe afterbirth pains for at least 24-48 hours. They were so severe that im pretty sure the pain i was in delayed my milk coming in (milk didnt come in till day 5). apparently afterbirth pains arent supposed to be that bad after your first labour and someone said the reason they could have been so bad the first time might have been because birth was so quick. i was also wondering whether some of placenta or something was retained but not sure about this as didnt have very much bleeding.
    anyway, naturally i am pretty nervous about what will happen after this next labour since afterbirth pains are supposed to get worse the next time around. i really dont want it to affect my milk this time (although i realise that is just my theory could be wrong) and also complicated by the fact that i am allergic to codeine so cant take much else other than paracetamol.
    a few questions for anyone who might know

1) anyone have their afterbirth pains the second time around NOT as bad as first time, or at least about the same?
    2) anyone know if a fast labour affects afterbirth pains?
    3) anything that can be done to minimise them?

Thanks...

My afterbirth pains were bad after my first, worst after my second delivery, much less after the others. I don't think it would have affected your milk. I did not get milk until Day 5 with my first. I don't think much of paracetemol as a pain reliever anyway. Can you take Nurofen? Or talk about this with your GP before the baby arrives--they should be able to suggest something. HTH.

My afterpains needed morphine which stil didn't touch the sides. They were awful, adn while I had a drug free labour and birht, I was dosed up for a couple of days on all the good stuff.
    Dont be afraid to tell them if its painful - at one point I went to the toilet at they actually had to look at the clots to see whether I was having a post partum hemorrage as Iwas truly in that much pain.
    Milk made no difference - my milk was coming in after about 24hrs with no2 despite the pain.

ttcno2 Guest

thanks for your responses all.
    yeek....its weird isnt it, that we can have drug free births (i did also) but yet dose up on morphine afterwards!! makes me wonder what the point of the drug free birth bit!!
    good to hear that milk came in anyway, hopefully that will go better this time even if pain is bad. im gonna talk to my midwife about this and get prepared for some heavy duty non codeine drugs for afterwards! crap! like the birth isnt ENOUGH to worry about!

The birth will be glorious - dont stress. It was much easier for me second time.
    I should say my pains for #1 were bad too, like really really nasty period pain everytime I fed. I had to feed with a wheatbag for about 3-4days.
    But it was nothing compared to #2. Excrutiating. Every time I thought they were getting better I refused the pain relief, and then I would feed and OMG - the agony. I was in tears and couldn't talk.
    So yeah - if you need the drugs - take them. Dont be a hero. You haven't got the hormones from thelabour process helping you as much in the days afterwards.

Did some one mention the dreaded A/B pains .... ahhhhhh!

My afterbirth pains were more intense and painful than the labour itself. I am petrified about what they are going to be like with baby number 5 !!!!

Ahhh. If someone does find a way to reduce / avoid / subdue them ... PLEASE, let me know.