Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share your birth intentions (birth plan)

That is a fantastic birth plan Kellie. Very well written. I could have pretty much written that myself.

Well done

Birth Preferences

Our names are Tiffany x & James x
    We like to be called Tiffany and James

We?re hoping for a natural childbirth without unnecessary interventions or the use of drugs. We appreciate your support with our birth preferences.

This plan represents our preferences; however we recognise that in the event of unforeseen difficulties it may need to be re-negotiated. Please discuss all options with us.

We would like the birth experience to be respectful and private as we know this is conductive to a successful birth, with minimal interruptions, quiet voices and dimmed lighting.

ACTIVE BIRTH

 I?d like the freedom to choose positions and walk around in labour as desired.

 I?m happy to have intermittent external fetal monitoring unless continuous monitoring is medically necessary.

 Please don?t offer drugs; I am aware of the options for pain relief and will ask for it if needed.

 As long the baby and I are fine, I would prefer to be free of time limits and not have my labour augmented.

 I would like to deliver in any position that feels right to me at the time, including on the floor. I wish to avoid being on the bed in a back-lying position.

 I?d only like an episiotomy if there is a genuine medical emergency. Please allow time for the perineum to stretch naturally. I prefer a small tear to an episiotomy.

BIRTH AND SOON AFTER

Presuming baby and I are well, we?d like:

 The option for my Husband or myself to ?catch? our baby

 To discover the sex of the baby ourselves.

 The option for my husband to cut the cord

 To hold our baby immediately after the birth. (We'll cover the baby with our own blanket that we'll bring from home.)

 For all newborn procedures (weighing and measuring) to wait until I have had time to bond with and breastfeed our baby at least an hour

 Assuming blood loss is acceptable. I?d like the option to have or not have the routine Syntocinon injection to help deliver the placenta & in the event of declining the Syntocinon, no controlled cord traction. Please let me have half an hour to a hour to deliver the placenta naturally if I decline.

? To wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before clamping (or at least 3-5mins), to allow my baby to receive the valuable blood and iron stores.

 For baby to be given only breast milk ? no water or formula.

 That the baby has Vit k and Hep B shots shortly after bonding time.

 I would like my husband to stay with me for as long as possible so that the baby has time to bond with him

INDUCTION / AUGMENTATION

If baby and I are well, I would like my baby to decide his/her own due date. Should labour induction become necessary at any time, I'd like to start with the least artificial means first - i.e. nipple stimulation, massage or a stretch and sweep before a medical induction. I would like time to allow the natural inductions work.

If this is unsuccessful and a medical induction or augmentation becomes medically necessary I?d like:

 To only have my waters to be broken at first instance if my cervix is open. I would like to be given a generous amount of time for labour to establish upon rupture of membranes before other forms of medical induction / augmentation. I would like to go home if all is well, until labour is established.

 If I require Syntocinon, I would like a very low dose, to be increased gradually and slowly. Once my labour is established I would like the option to choose to stop the dose being increased, lower the dose or stop the drip to allow my body to continue to labour without artificial oxytocin.

CAESAREAN

If a caesarean becomes medically necessary I?d like:

 For my Husband to be given the option to be with me regardless. I believe he can make his own decision on if it would be traumatic for him to be there or more traumatic being out of the room watching.

 For discussion to be respectful and minimal - only what is required medically and to inform me of what is happening

 For the screen lowered so we can witness the birth of our baby

 Unless prevented by medical emergency, I would like my baby to be placed on my chest while you complete the procedure

 To be sure that a double layer suture is used and not a single layer in order to improve my chances for a future VBAC

 For the cord to stop pulsating before clamping for reasons mentioned

 I would like only my husband to hold our baby until I am fit and able.
    Last edited by dust; July 8th, 2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: erased last names

Here is our Birth Plan/Ideas
    It may be a bit long winded, but as I work in the NNU of the same hospital I am delivering in, I know how our hospital 'works', so I have tried to be specific where it matters to us!

Birth Plan
    People Present: T, C, V - C's Support Person

We are hoping for a natural childbirth with as little intervention as possible. All of the following are requests, and we understand if things need to be changed for medical safety reasons for both K & Baby.
    We are understanding of the fact that sometimes things do not go ?according to plan? and are willing to find ways to work with these situations in as positive a way as possible.

Birth Centre

* Dimmed Lights
    * Walking Around As Much As Possible
    * Being Left Alone If K Is Coping
    * We Wish To Be ?Free? Of Time Limits/Constraints If Labour Progressing, Even Slowly
    * Using Bath/Shower For Labour & Bath For Delivery If K Feels Like It
    * Using Positions, Acupressure, Gas For Pain Relief
    * Do Not Want Pethidine
    * We Are Aware Of The Different Pain Relief Options, And Would Prefer Not To Have ?Suggestions? Made In Regard To This
    * Minimal VE?s
    * T Or K To Deliver Baby
    * We Wish T To Be The Designated Person To Announce The Sex Of The * Baby When He Is Ready
    * T, K & C To Be First People To Touch Baby
    * As Much Skin To Skin Immediately After Delivery As Possible
    * Leave Cord Clamping Until It Has Stopped Pulsing. C Wants To Clamp Cord
    * T To Cut Umbilical Cord
    * We Are Happy For The Routine Injection After Delivery To Aid In Delivery Of The Placenta
    * Baby Can Be Weighed After Bonding & BreastFeeding Is Finished
    * Baby Can Have Vit K Injection During Weighing
    * Would Like As Early Discharge As Possible ? If Baby Feeding Well & Weight Good

Labour & Delivery Suite
    * Would Like Son C To Be Present If Possible
    * Dimmed Lights
    * Walking Around As Much As Possible
    * Using Different Positions & Acupressure For Pain Relief
    * Will Use Gas If Needed
    * If An Episiotomy Is Required - K Would Prefer To Have A Local Anaesthetic Prior To This If Time Allows
    * We Are Aware Of The Different Pain Relief Options, And Would Prefer Not To Have ?Suggestions? Made In Regard To This
    * Minimal VE?s, Unless Necessary
    * No Continuous Monitoring Unless Needed
    * T Or K To Deliver Baby
    * We Wish T To Be The Designated Person To Announce The Sex Of The * Baby When He Is Ready
    * T, K & C To Be First People To Touch Baby
    * As Much Skin To Skin Immediately After Delivery As Possible
    * Leave Cord Clamping Until It Has Stopped Pulsing. C Wants To Clamp Cord
    * T To Cut Umbilical Cord
    * We Are Happy For The Routine Injection After Delivery To Aid In Delivery Of The Placenta
    * Baby Can Have Vit K Injection During Weighing
    * Would Like As Early Discharge As Possible ? If Baby Feeding Well & Weight Good

C-Section
    * T To Be Present If Possible
    * Would Like Conversation To Be Kept To A Minimum ? We Would Like A Nice Quiet Environment For Baby To Enter Into
    * We Would Like The Screen To Be Lowered So We Can See Our Baby Being Born
    * We Wish T To Be The Designated Person To Announce The Sex Of The Baby When He Is Ready
    * Baby To Remain With T & K If Possible
    * Attempt BreastFeed In Theatre If Baby Is Looking
    * Attempt BreastFeed In Recovery If Not Able In Theatre
    * T To Trim Umbilical Cord

Baby Transferred To NNU
    * T To Go With Baby & Have Bonding Cuddles If Possible
    * C Can Visit Baby With Travis & Have Cuddles If Possible
    * Grandparents Can Visit Baby In NNU, But No Touching/Cuddling Until K, T & C Have Had Sufficient Bonding Time
    * Baby Can Have Vit K Injection
    * Baby Can Have NasoGastric Tube If Needed
    * No IV For Baby Unless Absolutely Necessary
    * Would Prefer To Attempt BreastFeed Prior To Any Artificial Feeds
    * Baby Can Have Dummy
    * Baby Not To Have Any Bottles
    * Baby Not To Have 48hr Hepatitis B Vaccination
    * Baby Can Have Neonatal Screening

Thankyou For Reading This And Accepting Our Ideas And Suggestions

Kell I love it you have done a fab job. It's so thorough without being too restrictive. You have left it within your parameters but still room for changes if need be.

Thanks Bec. We are trying to be sensible about it. We want a Natural and Active a birth as possible, but, from my profession, I know it doesn't always work that way, so we thought of ways to work around it.
    I will let you know how it pans out!

Update: We are scrapping the Birth Centre section of the plan! I am being induced tonight in Labour & Delivery for high BP! LOL. The best laid plans and all....
    Last edited by MamaK; August 14th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.

FEEDBACK VERY WELCOME! Apologies for the weird formatting from Word!

Our Birth Preferences

Our names are XYZ
    Our Doula’s name is Kelly

We’re hoping for a natural childbirth without unnecessary interventions or the use of drugs. We have asked a Doula to be present at the birth to help us work towards this. We appreciate your support with our birth preferences.

This plan represents our preferences; however we recognise that in the event of unforeseen difficulties it may need to be re-negotiated. Please discuss all options with us, in the presence of our Doula. We would then like the opportunity to contemplate our options without the presence of any medical staff. We would like the birth experience to be respectful and private as we know this is conducive to a successful birth, with minimal interruptions, quiet voices and dimmed lighting. I will be relying on DH and Kelly to provide the atmosphere we desire with the following aides for pain relief:

 I’d like to have dimmed lighting during the labour and birth
     I would like to use aromatherapy
     I would appreciate limited intervention, interruptions and quiet voices
     I’d like to have an active labour with the freedom to choose positions, use the shower or bath and walk around in labour as desired.
     I would like to use water as a form of pain relief, a shower or bath
     I would also like to use massage as a form of pain relief
     I’d like to be free to use movement and my choice of birthing position ie: not lying on the bed unless decided by me

MEDICAL INTERVENTION
     I’m happy to have continuous EFM. However, I will at any time take it off if I decide to shower/bath/move around and will do so at my own discretion.
     If IFM is deemed necessary I wish to obtain a second opinion.
     I prefer to tear than to have an episiotomy. I’d only like an episiotomy if there is a genuine medical emergency. Please allow time for the perineum to stretch naturally and I would like warm compresses used to assist with this.
     I have severe back pain if I lie flat on my back and do not want any unnecessary vaginal exams. I do not want them 4 hourly. If a VE is required I would like to be seated, kneeling or standing. Please discuss any need for a VE with us.
     I do not want a cannula placed in my arm/hand during labour
     I will eat/drink as I feel the need during my labour.
     No time limits to be placed upon us.

BIRTH AND SOON AFTER

Presuming baby and I are well, we’d like:

 For my husband to ‘catch’ our baby if he would like to
     To wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before clamping, to allow my baby to receive the valuable blood and iron stores.
     For DH to cut the cord once it has stopped pulsating.
     Not to have the routine Syntocinon injection to help deliver the placenta until after the cord has stopped pulsating and if medically required.
     To hold and feed our baby immediately after the birth
     For all newborn procedures (weighing and measuring) to wait until I have had time to bond with and breastfeed our baby
     For baby to be given only breastmilk – strictly no water or formula.
     We have chosen to defer Hepatitis B injections until baby’s first vaccinations at 2 mths.

CAESAREAN

If a caesarean becomes necessary I’d like:

 To wait until I am at least 14 days overdue prior to this being booked in. I am happy to have monitoring leading to this time.
     For DH to be with me. We’d also like to have our Doula Kelly with us to help enhance our experience of birth, no matter what form it takes
     For discussion to be respectful and minimal - only what is required medically and to inform me of what is happening
     Unless prevented by medical emergency, I would like my baby to be placed on my chest while you complete the procedure
     To be sure that a double layer suture is used and not a single layer in order to improve my chances for a future VBAC
     The opportunity to breastfeed our baby in recovery. If you do not have the staff to enable this, I wish to have my Doula with me so I can breastfeed in recovery.

Please sign our birth preferences in good faith that it has been read, will be treated respectfully and that we have your support in all of the above.

________________________________ Signed

________________________________ Name ______________ Date

It's a bit after the fact, but this is our birth preferences:

Mother wears contact lenses throughout birth.
    I give permission for photos to be taken.

Environment:
    - Minimal quiet interruptions
    - Quiet room
    - Aromatherapy if wanted
    - Own music if wanted
    - Positive & encouraging atmosphere
    - No rushing/no time constraints

Labour
    - Don't offer me pain relief, including gas, epidural etc. I will ask if I want it.
    - NO pethidine (family history of bad reactions).
    - Freedom to move around as desired.
    - Fetal monitoring to be done only if absolutely necessary. Would rather not have to wear the trace machine for the entire labour. If it is necessary, please use a telemetry unit for the CTG so I can still move around.

Birth
    - Don't want to be confined to bed if at all possible.
    - Prefer NOT to be on my back for birth.
    - Episiotomy - only if necessary; would rather tear.

If caesarean section:
    - Husband & doula to be present
    - If baby needs to be separated from me for medical reasons, husband or doula to be present with the baby at all times

Third stage:
    - Do not cut cord until it has stopped pulsing (unless agreed to by Mum/Dad due to medical requirement - or if required to be cut in order to birth baby).
    - Husband to cut cord (unless he declines)
    - Active third stage management (Syntocinon) can be used once the cord has stopped pulsing.

Immediately after birth:
    - Baby to have immediate skin to skin contact (regardless of birth type - vaginal or caesarean) with me (unless medically not possible). Baby to have skin to skin contact with husband also.
    - Baby given opportunity for baby-led first breastfeed if possible.
    - All BSL's for baby to taken whilst baby is still with me if possible.
    - Husband to weigh baby

I went into my labour with no birth plan just an open mind to whatever happens at the time!
    It was a 4 hour labour DRUG FREE no complications..
    My midwife was great and let me control all aspects of the labour..she was very supportive and motivational (So was my husband!!!)
    Believe in your body as it knows what to do, stay relaxed and everything will move along nicely..The worst thing you can do is tense up it will take longer for you to get that baby out!!

Thank you so much for sharing ladies

I just sat down to try and write my own birth plan... when I realised I had absolutely no idea where to start or what I was doing!!

I think I have pinched a bit from everyone and come up with a plan that suits me and my DP

Our names are ...
    We like to be called ...
    Our Student Midwife's name is ...

We are aiming for a natural childbirth without unnecessary interventions or the use of drugs. We have asked a student midwife to be present at the birth. We appreciate your support with our birth preferences.

This plan represents our preferences; however we recognise that in the event of unforeseen difficulties it may need to be re-negotiated. Please discuss all options with us, in the presence of our midwife, and student midwife. We would then like the opportunity to contemplate our options without the presence of any medical staff. We would like the birth experience to be respectful and private as we know this is conducive to a successful birth, with minimal interruptions, quiet voices and dimmed lighting.

ACTIVE BIRTH

- I'd like the freedom to choose positions, use the shower or bath and walk around in labour as desired.
    - I'm happy to have intermittent external fetal monitoring
    - Please don't offer drugs; I am aware of the options for pain relief and will ask for it if needed.
    - I will not have pethidine or other narcotic drugs.
    - If I ask for drugs mid-contraction, please ask me again once the contraction is over and I am better able to make a decision
    - I wish to be free of time limits and not have my labour augmented unless in a medical emergency.
    - I'd only like an episiotomy if there is a genuine medical emergency. Please allow time for the perineum to stretch naturally.
    - If for any reason I am lying down when I need to push, please remind me that I want to birth in an upright, squatting, or all fours position so I can move if I choose to.
    - If I require at any point to be on a drip, please put the cannula in my forearm, not my hand or elbow so that I have freedom of movement.

INDUCTION / AUGMENTATION

If baby and I are well, I would like my baby to decide his/her own due date. I am happy to discuss a plan should my pregnancy reach the end of term at 42 weeks. Should labour induction become necessary at any time, I'd like to start with the least artificial means first - i.e. nipple stimulation, acupuncture, massage or a stretch and sweep before a medical induction. I would like time to allow the natural inductions work.

If this is unsuccessful and a medical induction or augmentation becomes medically necessary I'd like:

- To begin with gel application rather than a syntocinon drip
    - To only have my waters to be broken at first instance if my cervix is open. I would like to be given a generous amount of time for labour to establish upon rupture of membranes (i.e. more than just a few hours) before other forms of medical induction / augmentation. I would like to go home if all is well, until labour is established.
    - If I require Syntocinon, I would like a very low dose, to be increased gradually and slowly. Once my labour is established I would like to choose to stop the dose being increased, lower the dose or stop the drip to allow my body to continue to labour without artificial oxytocin.
    -Please put the cannula in my forearm and not my hand or elbow so I have more freedom of movement.

CAESAREAN

If a caesarean becomes necessary I'd like:

- For my partner to be with me.
    - For my midwife and student midwife to be with me at all times including in recovery.
    - For discussion to be respectful and minimal - only what is required medically and to inform me of what is happening
    - For the screen lowered so we can witness the birth of our baby
    - Unless prevented by medical emergency, I would like my baby to be placed on my chest while you complete the procedure
    - To be sure that a double layer suture is used and not a single layer in order to improve my chances for a future VBAC
    - For the cord to stop pulsating before clamping for reasons mentioned
    - The opportunity to breastfeed our baby in recovery.

BIRTH AND SOON AFTER

Presuming baby and I are well, we would like:

• To hold our baby immediately after the birth
    • For all newborn procedures (weighing and measuring) to wait until I have had time to bond with and breastfeed our baby
    • In the event resuscitative efforst become necessary, I want these to be done without clamping the cord.
    • If I have not had a drip induction, I do not want to have a Syntocinon injection to help deliver the placenta unless there is a real risk of haemorrage.
    • To wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before clamping, to allow my baby to receive the valuable blood and iron stores.
    • No formula or water are to be given to my baby
    • To defer Hepatitis B injections until just prior to discharge from hospital.
    Last edited by Pandora; January 16th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.

SugarDust Guest

My birth plan is easy as!

No drugs if I can help it (gas/peth if really needed)
    No Epi
    No Saline shots under the skin near my spine

NO C section unless really needed!

Will be as active as possible!

I have never had a written birth plan for either of my girls. First time round it was kind of mostly taken out of my hands due to emergency situations, second time round i went into labour early and didnt have one prepared. So i delivered a verbal birth plan on arrival at the labour room which basically consisted of two sentences....

If I want something I will ask for it.

You (the midwife) and I are going to do everything we possibly can to avoid me ending up with stitches!

40 minutes later with no drugs, no DH on hand, and NO STITCHES, my DD was on my chest.

My verbally given birth plan was "no drugs due to a genetic problem, I want to find out the gender myself."

Drugs pushed every inch of the way, despite me telling everyone about the problems it would (and did) cause.

New birth plan for any further time:
    Expletive off. My body, my birth, get out of my way.

Can't think of why anyone would need anything else.

Here is mine. It might be a bit naive because this is my first birth, but it is what I want!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's birth plans, especially yours RHF .

----------------------------------------------------

Birth Preferences

Our names are xxx
    Our baby's name is xxx
    Our Doula?s name is xxx

We would prefer a natural childbirth without interventions or the use of drugs. We have chosen to have a doula present with us at the birth.

Please discuss all treatments with me before they are administered. We would like a couple of minutes to consider our options before any treatment.

I would ideally like to avoid a caesarean and episiotomy, please work with me to try to achieve this.

Please don?t rush me, I would rather be patient than have interventions.

I would rather tear than be cut.

I?m happy to have intermittent external fetal monitoring so that I can continue to move around freely.

If a caesarean is necessary, I would like my partner and doula to stay with me.

I would like to bond with my baby immediately after birth. Please place her on my chest to attempt breast feeding straight away. Please delay weighing, measuring and cleaning until we have had this chance to bond.

Please help to encourage breastfeeding immediately after birth and whenever possible.

Please wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before clamping. My husband does not wish to cut the cord.

Not sure about these bits yet?
     Not to have the routine Syntocinon injection to help deliver the placenta
     For our baby to have vitamin K as an oral dose.
     To defer Hepatitis B injections until baby?s first vaccinations at 2 months

Birth Preferences

Our names are XX
    We like to be called XX
    Our Doula name is XX

We?re hoping for a natural childbirth without unnecessary interventions or the use of drugs. We have asked a Doula to be present at the birth to help us work towards this . We appreciate your support with our birth preferences.

This plan represents our preferences; however we recognise that in the event of unforeseen difficulties it may need to be re-negotiated. Please discuss all options with us, in the presence of our Doula. We would then like the opportunity to contemplate our options without the presence of any medical staff. We would like the birth experience to be respectful and private as we know this is conducive to a successful birth, with minimal interruptions, quiet voices and dimmed lighting.

We understand that emergencies can happened and that my husband has full permission to make decisions if I am unable

ACTIVE BIRTH

 Please do not perform any internal examinations. I trust that my body will do what it needs to do

 Please help keep our birthing area to be as peaceful and relaxing as possible with positive comments and encouragement

 I?m happy to have intermittent external fetal monitoring unless continuous monitoring is medically necessary.

 Please don?t offer any drugs; I am aware of the options for pain relief and will ask for it if needed.

 Please do not offer an IV and do not put in a cannula

 I?d like the freedom to choose positions, use the shower or bath and walk around in labour as desired.

 I would be happy to use the bath for the labour and possible the birth

 I wish to be free of time limits and not have my labour augmented unless in a medical emergency.

 I would like to be able to eat and drink during labour if I wish to

 Please allow time for the perineum to stretch naturally and only suggest an episiotomy in an emergency.

 I would like to try any different position to help assist the labour and birth please encourage me to try any positions that you believe will assist me

BIRTH AND SOON AFTER

 Would like to try gravity assisting positions for the birth

 I would like to breath my baby out without pressure to push

 For my husband to ?catch? our baby

 To not have the umbilical cord clamped or cut until it has stopped pulsating

 For my partner to cut the cord

 To hold our baby immediately after the birth

 For all newborn procedures (weighing and measuring) to wait until I have had time to bond with and breastfeed our baby

 Delivery of the placenta preferred without drugs, preferred that cord cutting to be done after this. No cord traction.

 For baby to be given only breastmilk ? strictly no water or formula.

 We will not be immunising and request that you accept our decision and not challenge it nor persist with asking

 Should baby need to be removed ? would prefer any obs to be done with us, or my husband to go along and be able to hold / touch baby if I cannot. Minimal separation

OUR BIRTH PLAN IN SHORT

 Freedom to move around as I choose

 Peaceful and relaxing birth room

 Possible water birth

 No Internal examinations

 Intermittent external fetal monitoring

 Please don?t offer drugs;

 No time limits on my birth

 No augmentation unless an emergency

 No IV or cannula

 Can eat & drink

 No episiotomy

 Try different labour positions
    BIRTH AND SOON AFTER

 For my husband to ?catch? our baby

 Breath baby out

 To not have the umbilical cord clamped or cut until it has stopped pulsating

 For my partner to cut the cord

 To hold our baby immediately after the birth

 Delay all newborn weighing etc

 No drugs for delivery of placenta and no cord traction

 Exclusively breast feed

 No immunisation

 Baby to be with one of parents at all times

IF THINGS DON?T GO TO PLAN

INDUCTION / AUGMENTATION

Should labour induction become necessary at any time, I'd like to start with the least artificial means first - i.e. nipple stimulation, acupuncture, massage or a stretch and sweep before a medical induction. I would like time to allow the natural inductions work.

If this is unsuccessful and a medical induction or augmentation becomes medically necessary I?d like:

 To only have my waters to be broken at first instance if my cervix is open. I would like to be given a generous amount of time for labour to establish upon rupture of membranes (i.e. more than just a few hours) before other forms of medical induction / augmentation. I would like to go home if all is well, until labour is established.

 If I require Syntocinon, I would like a very low dose, to be increased gradually and slowly. Once my labour is established I would like to choose to stop the dose being increased, lower the dose or stop the drip to allow my body to continue to labour without artificial oxytocin. Please put the cannula in my hand so I have more freedom of movement.

CAESAREAN

If a caesarean becomes necessary I?d like:

 For my partner to be with me.

 For the screen lowered so we can witness the birth of our baby

 For the cord to stop pulsating before clamping for reasons mentioned

 The opportunity to breastfeed our baby in recovery.

My plan will be something like this - but I don't really expect they'll read it. I do however expect my husband to read it and memorise it and recite it ad nauseam to the midwives

I am an experienced birthing mother who trusts her body to labour efficiently.

I want to be allowed to labour freely without continuous monitoring, and without routine internal examinations. I do not wish to be offered pain relief - I will ask for it if I need it. As a sexual abuse survivor I am extremely distressed by internal examinations and do not wish to have these unless there is a significant clinical need.

If continuous monitoring is medically necessary, I will get my husband to hold the monitors while I continue to labour in an upright position.

I'm happy for a student to be present during my labour and delivery. I prefer midwife attended labours and delivery and for an obstetrician to be called only if medically necessary.

I am hypoglycaemic and wish to eat and drink as I need to during labour. I will pack light snacks and energy drinks that are suitable.

I want to be able to labour and deliver in a position that is comfortable for me - I prefer to deliver kneeling or on all fours so if I am not already in that position when I am ready to deliver, please remind me of this preference. I am happy to be encouraged to try different positions and equipment such as the physio balls if I have not suggested it myself.

I prefer to tear than to have an episiotomy.

When the baby is delivered, I want all routine checks done while baby is on my chest/belly or in my husband's arms if I am not able to hold him for medical reasons.

Please don't clamp and cut the cord until it has stopped pulsing, in the absence of complications. Please don't dress or wrap the baby at this point - cover the baby for warmth while his skin is touching mine.

I prefer no cord traction to deliver the placenta.

If I need stitches or other treatment, my husband will hold the baby if I am unable to do so.

Weighing and other checks can wait. We wish to be left quietly with the baby with the room as darkened as possible for as long as possible after the birth.

Our baby will be exclusively breastfed - if the baby's blood sugar is of clinical concern, we wish for glucose water to be given by spoon, and not artificial milk, and definitely no bottles.

We will not have our baby vaccinated for Hepatitis B until two months.

In the case of a caesarean:
    My husband will be present. I wish the baby to be placed near me while the procedure is completed, and I wish the baby to be brought to me in recovery to be put to the breast. My husband is to remain with the baby at all times.

Great thread ladies and thanks to all who have shared their plans! This thread will definately be a huge help for a first timer like me

jeepers some are very long!!
    i got told by my mw to make it short and sweet so the docs and mw can follow it easily
    so mine is basically

i want to try with no drugs but if i ask, give them to me!
    dp to cut the cord
    me to hold bubs right away (injections etc can wait)
    and no bloody visitors til i say so (dps family are psycho baby hoarders lol)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast