Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share your birth intentions (birth plan)

What about internals TM? Cord clamping? What about a physiological third stage? Skin to skin contact with your DP also?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    What about internals TM? Cord clamping? What about a physiological third stage? Skin to skin contact with your DP also?

hey tanya
    my hossy is very pro natural and allows cord to finish pulstaing before clamping, skin to skin with both parents immediately (as long as no medical complications of course), i have signed form to allow the injection to deliver placenta cause im worried about PPH, also just booked in for an induction next week (40+9, if she doesnt arrive normally by then). it might sound naive and everyone has different opinions but i was v. happy with what i was told at the hossy-run antenatal classes and am positive they will try and provide the best birth possible for me

Awesome

Default Am I missing anything major?

Please tell me if I am missing anything major in the following intentions!!

? I wish to stay at home for the early stage of labour. I intend to inform you and update you on my progress whilst this occurs.
    ? I do not wish to be artificially induced. I would like for labour to start spontaneously, whether that be at 38 weeks or 42 weeks (I am not expecting to reach 42 weeks due to my first labour starting spontaneously at 38 weeks).
    ? I plan to endure labour pain naturally, with warm water (bath/shower) and massage as my only form of pain relief.
    ? I would prefer internal examinations be kept to a minimum.
    ? I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring ? only intermittently when necessary.
    ? I plan to bring my own relaxation music, and would prefer to have the room dimly lit.
    ? My husband will be my sole support person throughout the labour.
    ? I intend to have an active labour ? utilising gravity and various positions to assist me.
    ? I do not wish to birth laying on my back, but in a standing or squatting position, where gravity will be of assistance.
    ? I wish to avoid an episiotomy if possible (I suffered a post-labour perenial haematoma due to an episiotomy at my first birth ? very painful experience!), and I would like to receive assistance in supporting the perenium to prevent tearing.
    ? I wish to have my baby placed on my chest immediately after birth.
    ? I wish for my husband to cut the umbilical cord, only after it has stopped pulsating.
    ? I wish for my baby to remain closeby whilst he/she is checked.
    ? I do NOT wish for my baby to receive Hep B or Vit K injections, and I wish not to be challenged on this decision, as it is a well informed one.
    ? I wish to deliver the placenta in my own time, without the assistance of drugs.
    ? If an episiotomy/tear is inevitable, I would prefer a midwife (female) to attend to the sutchering under local anesthetic (the sutchering after my first birth was performed by a young male doctor who was incredibly rough and heavy handed with me ? definitely my most traumatic and painful birth encounter, and I believe partially to blame for the haematoma developing.)
    ? I do not wish for my baby or myself to be administered antibiotics post labour (or during labour for that matter!) due the the effect this has on the beneficial bacteria in the breastmilk.
    ? I wish to initiate breastfeeding as soon as possible after the birth.
    ? I wish for my baby to be on the breast when his or her ?heel *****? blood sample is taken.
    ? I wish to be informed as to which blood group my baby belongs to (my firstborn?s blood group was not recorded on his hospital documents).
    ? I do not wish to receive visitors, until both mother & baby have had the oppurtunity to sleep and recuperate.

Why is it everytime you cut and paste something from microsoft word the punctuation comes up as question marks???? (See above!!)

Birth Preferences

Our names are Lauren Oakley and Beau Morgan
    We like to be called Lauren and Beau

We?re hoping for a natural childbirth without unnecessary interventions or the use of drugs.
    This plan represents our preferences; however we recognise that in the event of unforeseen difficulties it may need to be re-negotiated.

ACTIVE BIRTH

I?d like the freedom to choose positions, use the shower or bath and walk around in labour as desired.

I?m happy to have intermittent external fetal monitoring unless continuous monitoring is medically necessary.

Please don?t offer drugs; I am aware of the options for pain relief and will ask for it if needed.

I wish to be free of time limits and not have my labour augmented unless in a medical emergency.

I?d only like an episiotomy if there is a genuine medical emergency. Please allow time for the perineum to stretch naturally.

If this is unsuccessful and a medical induction or augmentation becomes medically necessary I?d like:

CAESAREAN

If a caesarean becomes necessary I?d like:

For my partner and mother to be with me at all times aside from scrubbing
    For discussion to be respectful and minimal - only what is required medically and to inform me of what is happening
    For the screen lowered so we can witness the birth of our baby
    Unless prevented by medical emergency, I would like my baby to be placed on my chest while you complete the procedure
    To be sure that a double layer suture is used and not a single layer in order to improve my chances for a future VBAC
    For the cord to be clamped and cut straight away.
    The opportunity to breastfeed our baby in recovery. If you do not have the staff to enable this.
    BIRTH AND SOON AFTER

Presuming baby and I are well, we?d like:
    For the ob to ?catch? our baby
    For my partner to cut the cord
    To hold our baby immediately after the birth
    For all newborn procedures (weighing and measuring) to wait until I have had time to bond with and breastfeed our baby
    I would like to have the routine Syntocinon injection to help deliver the placenta
    The Umbilical cors to be clamped and cut straight away
    For our baby to have vitamin K as an oral dose.
    For baby to be given only breastmilk ? strictly no water or formula.
    To Have all vacines immediatly

Please sign our birth preferences in good faith that it has been read, will be treated respectfully and that we have your support in all of the above.

Ahhhh glad to have a draft going.......

Default my vba2c birthplan

I Here is the birthplan I used. :O)

Birth Preferences
    Name:
    Baby due:

As this is a planned VBAC birth, we are looking forward to an active, positive and natural birth.
    Our desire is to give birth vaginally, with as little medical intervention as possible. We want to participate in this birth to the fullest, with the wonderful support and encouragement of our birthing team.

This is assuming my birth goes normally - if it does not, we are flexible about deviating from the plan if it is medically necessary, but we wish to be informed of the risks, benefits and necessity of intervention and to participate in these decisions.

We have listed our preferences below, these decisions have been made after much research, consultation and thought. Therefore, your help in attaining these goals is very much appreciated.

Care During the First Stage:

I would like to have an active labour/positions. So could you please encourage:
    - as mobile as possible.
    - use of different positions.
    - use of beanbags, cushions, etc.
    - frequent drinks and snacks.

- CTG- We understand the benefits of having continuious CTG monitoing. Ideally we would have access to a Telemetry unit. If it becomes difficult to get a good trace (due to my position or movements) then, intermittent EFM along with fetoscope evaluations would be preferred. I must still be able to assume mobile positions even if being monitored, and the EFM volume should be turned down, or even off if possible.

- Please do not set time limits. We do not want to be hurried with time constraints, as long as the baby and mother are tolerating labour please assess their progress rather than looking at the clock.

Pain Relief:
    - Drugs not be offered or administered unless they are requested by Julie-Ann. This will only be if, at the time, Julie-Ann feels strongly that she cannot manage without, and all other options have been tried.

- We would like to use the water bath, showers, breathing, relaxation, massage, mobility, heat and cold, plus any other suggestions.

- If we decide to use drugs, we would prefer gas initially, and other drugs only after discussion.

We want to avoid:
    - Induction, or acceleration, of labour with Oxytocin. Though I would prefer even this than contemplating another caesarean.

- Artificial rupture of membranes, unless Julie-Ann and partner can both be convinced that it will be helpful in their particular labour. Such as if there was a reason to be concerned about the condition of the baby, but definitely not to put an electrode scalp monitor on the baby.

- Frequent vaginal examinations - as few and as gently as possible.

- Internal electronic monitoring, as infection could be passed to the baby via the puncture site of an electrode clip on the scalp.

Care During Second Stage:
    - Unhurried second stage, so long as baby and Julie-Ann okay, that is waiting to push until Julie-Ann feels ready.

- Choice of positions for birthing.

- No episiotomy, please give the perineum every chance to stretch. To an extent Julie-Ann would rather tear naturally than be cut.

- If assistance in delivery is necessary, please use forceps rather than suction.

At the Birth:
    - A quiet and intimate environment. Dimmed lights with no unnecessary noises.

- Baby to be put immediately on to Julie-Ann 's abdomen and put to the breast, as long as medically stable.

- Cord left intact until pulsing has ceased.

- Baby to be caught by Lee and Cord to be cut by Lee.

- I would like to deliver the placenta naturally. No pulling on the cord, or drugs to quicken the process. I realise these drugs and procedures can be lifesaving if there is heavy bleeding, but if everything is going well I'd rather have a natural third stage.

- Baby to remain with us in first few hours after birth- waiting until later for weighing, tests or washing, etc.

In case of Caesarean

As we mentioned before, we realise there may be problems (some we may not have taken into consideration here) and we are willing to co-operate, all that we ask is that our informed consent be sought before any procedure or medication is used.

We also realise there is a chance that Julie-Ann may require a caesarean, and all the points mentioned above then become mostly invalid. If Julie-Ann does need a caesarean the important points are mentioned below.

In case of caesarean:

-Lee and our independant midwife to be present.

-Julie-Ann to remain conscious during the operation if possible.

- If caesarean under general anaesthetic, then baby to be given to Lee straight after birth and held by him until Julie-Ann is awake and can be told of the baby's sex and well-being by Lee.

- Lower the screen so Lee and Julie-Ann can view the birth. Julie-Ann has had two previous caesareans and it is still a bit unreal, as she has never actually seen a baby leave her body - they tend to just appear from behind the green screen and be held up for a quick look before they disappear to be wrapped up and tested.

- A verbal description of the birth as it occurs. Julie-Ann especially has felt left out of her previous caesarean as her body and labour have been discussed as though she wasn't there.

-The cord to be left longer so Lee can still experience cutting the baby?s cord.

- Baby to be placed immediately on Julie-Ann?s chest in its naked newborn state with a warm blanket over them both. It would do a lot to make this surgical delivery a bit more natural for mother, father and baby. And it may even resolve a few inner conflicts that are faced after the birth.

- We would like to view the placenta.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read our Birth Preferences, and I hope we can discuss any problems you see with it.
    We thank you in advance for your support and kind attention to our choices, as we look forward to a wonderful birth. Your support and co-operation is really appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Last edited by julie_ann_jules; June 11th, 2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: removed independant midwife's name

Mine is fairly detailed in sections, so any suggestions on how to make it more pointed and brief welcome. Also anything missing?

-----
    Needles

SMALL CANULA ONLY. As a needlephobe I suffer syncope with needles. For canula placement I need to be laying down to avoid postural hypotension.
    The small canula was suitable for my >2000ml PPH, so should still be suitable now. My preferred placement is in the back of the left hand. I will be using an EMLA patch on this position. I would like it to be placed by an experienced nurse or pathologist as I am going to be unable to sit through a session of "find the vein".

The syntocinon is not to be "hooked up" until after birth. I wish to attempt natural delivery of he placenta and a physiological (unmanaged) third stage. I understand this will require monitoring of my loss and am willing to forgo this preference if loss exceeds 800ml.

----
    Labour Stage

No AROM.

I would like to be active with minimal monitoring.

I do not want VEs. External signs of progress to be used unless baby becomes distressed and checking my actual progress becomes needed.

I would prefer a gravity based birth position. This is to minimise pushing strain and maximise potential of a natural placental delivery.

No Episiotomy. I will never agree to purposeful damage to my perineum.

No Epidural. It would be unsafe to attempt to place a needle into my spine - this is because of the phobia.

If assisted delivery becomes necessary, I would prefer ventouse (no episiotomy) be attempted first. If this fails and baby can not be delivered safely without further assistance, then we consent to an emergency c-section under general. Baby is to remain in care and proximity of my support person if this happens.

----
    After Birth

As part of my unmanaged third stage, I would like for the cord to remain uncut for at least 2 minutes. If Phil is able to be present then he is to cut the cord.

I would like to collect my baby from birth and maintain skin to skin contact and initiate feeding without any interruptions (saving for needed third stage management or baby in distress). Basically, only mum and dad to touch her until after third stage has finished.

OK, here are my intentions for the birth and post-birth period of my dd.

Above all, a safe delivery for both mother and baby.

No foetal monitoring throughout the birth unless medically neccassary.

Mininal VE's, unless medically neccessary.

Happy to use gas. Attempting to birth without pethidine, but if I start swearing at people, give it to me (Epidurals aren't offered my mw program).

I want the freedom to move around as much as possible during labour and to birth in whatever position I feel comfortable in. I ask that I not be made to lay down on my back unless it is absolutley medically neccesary and there are no other options.

Natural and unmanaged third stage of labour. I would like immediate skin to skin contact and a baby led breast attachment. All the weighing, injections, etc, can wait.

In the unlikely event of a c-section or myself needing surgery post-birth, I would ask that access to our dd is limited to my husband and son, and no other family members or friends.

If at any stage after the birth I choose to introduce a complimentary formula feed, for my mental or physical health, I ask that my informed desicion to do so be respected.

Here's mine, it's not quite finished yet though....

- Active birth
    o I would like to be free to move around the room during contractions, and avoid the bed as much as possible.
    - Drug-free
    o I understand birth is a very difficult and painful process, and many women find it easier to make the pain go away with drugs, but I am not one of those women. I am quite tolerant of pain. However, if the pain does get too severe for me to cope with, I am happy for gas & air to be offered.
    o Unless absolutely necessary, I do not want a cannula to be put in me at any point. I am afraid of needles and other foreign bodies being in me. It would only serve to distract and distress me if I were to have one.
    o If a cannula is necessary, I would prefer it in the inside of my elbow, as this is where the veins appear strongest. It is to be covered immediately so I cannot see it, and after it is inserted I will not be moving that arm at all until it is gone.
    - Birth partners
    o My husband, Scott, will more than likely be attending the entire birth. If he is at work at the beginning, he will be joining me as soon as possible. I would like him to be the one to announce the baby's sex to me and for him to be allowed a cuddle before the baby is handed to me. I would prefer him to cut the umbilical cord, but he's not sure if he'll be able to do it. Give him the option first.
    o My mother, Leanne, may be with me as well, especially if Scott is unable to be there. If she is there and Scott is not, I would like her to announce the sex. If both of them are there, she will be last to hold the baby of the three of us.
    - No unnecessary intervention
    o Under no circumstances am I to have an episiotomy unless I specifically ask for one.
    o Unless there is real need for it, I would not like any other intervention (forceps, etc) until it has been offered and accepted by either me or my partner.
    - Vaginal, not surgical
    o I would only agree to a Caesarean if my or the baby's lives were at risk. I am not putting myself through unneeded surgery because the hospital/obstetrician/midwife has a time limit on vaginal birth. Even if it takes me days to give birth, I'd rather do it naturally.
    o If a Caesarean does become necessary, I would like one of my birth partners to be there with me.
    o Unless there is a medical emergency preventing it, I would like the baby to be placed with me while the procedure is being completed.
    - Cutting the umbilical cord
    o As mentioned above, I would like my husband to cut the cord. If he can't stomach it, I am happy for a doctor or midwife to do so. Please wait until the cord has stopped pulsing before clamping.
    Last edited by TeniBear; October 8th, 2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Made it slightly easier to read

Mine is a work in progress - got a few more months to work out minor details
    Mother: Kirsty-Lea (take note of spelling - I am not KRISTY!!)
    Father : John
    Support Person : Heather
    Doula: Lauren

- i would like to have an active birth and be able to move around how I please. I would like to find my own way to cope with the pain so any suggestions in regards to positions and options would be more than welcome.
    - I would like the option of a bath or shower and if possible water birth - I find water a great pain relief and know this will probably help me relax greatly.
    - I do not wished to be confined to a bed for continuous monitoring unless absolutely necessary.
    - I do not want alot of people coming and going the whole labour; I would rather be left with my husband, Lauren and Heather until the time comes where I am closer to birthing my baby - other than the occassional checking on progress.
    - I do not want to be pushed for time constraints. Labour happens in a natural progression, not to your staff shifts.
    - Dim lighting if possible. And I would like the choice to eat and drink if i feel the need. Do you have a radio I can turn on?

- I am not against intermittent checking of my bloodpressure etc or the baby's heart rate; i just do not wish to be confined to a bed for long periods of time while this is happening.
    - Please keep an eye out for blood pressure problems through my body language as my mother has had pre-eclampsia with both pregnancies including needing resusitation and life-support, and so this could be a real issue with my labour. Don't overly obsess over it as that will stress me and my husband out more, just be aware of the signs please.
    - I would prefer no VE if possible.
    - I am aware of the pain relief options/drugs available; please don't offer them to me unless I ask.
    - I do not wish for an episiotomy. I wish for a midwife to offer the correct physical support when the time comes. I would rather have stitches after for natural tearing.

- If my husband feels he is up to catching the baby - i would like him to be the person to do that.
    - I would like my husband to cut the umbilical cord after it has finished pulsating.
    -If in both instances my husband does not feel up to either task - i would like Heather to be offered both those tasks .
    - I would like the baby to be bought up to my chest for skin-to-skin contact and the option for breast feeding straight away.
    - I would like to have bonding time with my husband and baby for at least half an hour to an hour before he/she is taken away for measurements/bathing etc. If Heather chooses to stay or leave then that is up to her.
    - I do not want my baby to have the Vitamin K injection or oral dose, nor do i want he/she to have the Hep B injection. I am well informed and educated in my decision and do not wish to be pestered about this. I will however agree to the Vitamin K injection if my baby has had a traumatic birth or is somewhat injured/bruised. In this case the injection can be administered when the measurements are being taken.
    - I wish for my baby to be breast fed.

- I would like to try deliver the placenta naturally. I'm not a fan of seeing what it looks like. Please don't offer.

C-Section
    - I understand that sometimes things do not go according to plan and that there may be complications.
    - If a c-section is needed, I wish for my husband, myself and heather to all be explained the reasons for needing it.
    - If possible i would like my husband still present for the birth & to be able to cut the cord after it finishes pulsating. I'd also like for the baby to still be placed straight onto me after being born. If not possible to me, then for the baby to be given to my husband.

- No visitors until I say.
    Last edited by Kirley64; December 7th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.

Here is my VBAC birth plan. Sorry Julie-Ann, I've borrowed some of your points and wording because it sounded so good DH thinks I sound very demanding, so would love to hear your thoughts! I figure I have to be demanding and tell them straight up what I want. No point in asking pretty please, right?

Opening Statement
    As this is a planned VBAC birth, we are looking forward to an active, positive and natural birth. My desire is to give birth vaginally, with as little medical intervention as possible. This is assuming my birth goes normally - if it does not, we are flexible about deviating from the plan if it is necessary, but we wish to be informed of the risks, benefits and necessity of intervention and to participate in these decisions.

My authorised spokesperson during labour is my DH. He is allowed access to me at all times as my support and birth partner. Our preferences are listed below and have been made after much research and thought, therefore your help in attaining these goals is greatly appreciated.

Labour
    It is very important that I have an active labour. Therefore, I would like the following:
    ~ Freedom of movement at all times.
    ~ Freedom to use the shower and bath at all stages of labour.
    ~ Drinking and eating as requested by me.
    ~ Spontaneous commencement of labour.
    ~ No induction (oxytocin/syntocinin/prostaglandins) or artificial augumentation to labour as I have had a caesarean section previously.

If I am post dates:
    ~ I will not consent to induction unless my baby is compromised.
    ~ I will have regular CTG to ensure baby is OK.
    ~ I will have tests to ensure my placenta is working sufficiently.

Vaginal examinations only as agreed or for specific medical indication in whatever position I wish.

Intermittent fetal monitoring - no fetal scalp monitoring. I would like to use the wireless monitoring if available so I can continue to move around. If not, I must still be able to assume mobile positions even if being monitored.

Spontaneous rupture of membranes.

Please do not set time limits on the 'stages'of labour. Please assess our progress and if all is going well, I would like to continue labouring.

Pain Management - Natural / Non-Invasive Pain Management
    I would like to be supported and encouraged to labour without pain relief. Please do not offer drugs.

I would like to use the shower, bath, breathing, walking, pelvic rocking, fitball, TENS machine, massage, and hot and cold packs.

Chemical Pain Management
    If I do require some pain relief I am willing to try gas (nitrous oxide), as I understand it can help me to focus on my breathing and get through each contraction.

The Birth
    Presence of my husband at all times
    Physiological third stage
    Support perineum with heat and pressure
    No episiotomy, please give the perineum chance to stretch. I would prefer to tear naturally than be cut.
    Birth in an upright position. I do not want to be on my back.
    As long as my baby is happy and healthy I want no time limits placed on third stage.
    I want baby to be placed onto my abdomen/chest and for us to be covered with a warm blanket.
    Umbilical cord to be clamped after it has stopped pulsating.
    DH is to cut the umbilical cord.
    Baby is not to leave my view, or if extra care is required then DH must go with baby.

After the Birth
    I would like to see my placenta
    Immediate breastfeeding after birth.
    Carry out checks of baby whilst he/she is on my abdomen.
    Baby is to be exclusively breastfed.
    I would like lots of support with breastfeeding
    No formula feeds for baby or supplemental feeds
    Demand feeding
    If baby requires transfer to a higher level hospital then I wish to be transferred with baby.

Caesarean Birth
    We realise there is a chance that I may require a ceasarean, and all the points mentioned above then become mostly invalid. If this is the case, our preferences are listed below.
    If this is an emergency Caesarean, I want to know why it is being recommended.
    I will not accept a Caesarean section for time limit reasons, if my baby is still healthy.
    I would like my husband to come into the theatre, recovery and take photos.
    I would like my husband to cut the baby's umbilical cord.
    I wish to remain awake for the caesarean and I choose to have a spinal/epidural anaesthesia.
    If I need a general anaesthesia, then I want my husband to be given our baby as soon as it is born.
    If I need a general anaesthesia then I want my husband to be present/waiting just outside the operating theatre.
    My husband is to be given the baby as soon as it is born to show me.
    My husband must go with baby for its health check straight after birth.
    My baby must be brought back to me, by its father as soon as it is checked as OK.
    I wish to have skin to skin contact with my baby, please leave one arm accessible/unrestricted.
    I want to breastfeed my baby immediately.
    I want my baby's health checks to be conducted within my full unimpeded view.
    I would like to view my placenta.
    I would like to drink and eat as soon as I feel the need.

I'm drafting my Birth Plan/Preferences at the moment and will post them when I'm more ready, but wanted to post something that a colleague of mine said to me yesterday, when I mentioned that I was writing my Birth Plan:

She: What's a Birth Plan going to do? Birth doesn't always go to plan.
    Me: That's right, which is why a Birth Plan can be useful in articulating my preferences and intentions, so that if it doesn't go "to plan" then my wishes can be taken into account, and I can be more empowered to make informed decisions about any treatment that is offered.
    She: But won't you just do what the doctors tell you to do? They're the experts.
    Me:

BIRTH PLAN OF KATE

LABOUR
    SUPPORT PEOPLE
    My husband Y will be my support person during labour and the birth of our child.

My estimated due date is 4th April 2010.

Please discuss all treatments with me before they are administered. We would like a few minutes to consider our options before any treatment.

MY SURROUNDINGS
    I am hoping to stay home for as long as possible during labour.

PAIN RELIEF
    I am planning to use active positioning during labour and birth, and my plan is to avoid narcotics for pain relief. I’d prefer not to be offered drugs; I am aware of the options for pain relief and will ask for gas and air if needed. I am interested in the use of heat, massage, water, sterile water injections and the use of a TENS machine for pain relief.

After birth, I would like to have the baby placed on my chest straight away without being cleaned up first – I would also like my child to be given the option of feeding straight away.

VAGINAL EXAMINATION
    I would prefer to avoid vaginal examinations unless absolutely necessary. I trust that my body will do what it needs to do. If a medical need for an internal examination is identified, please discuss this with myself and Y and allow us time to discuss the options.

MONITORING OF OUR BABY
    We consent to intermittent doppler monitoring, if this is required. I do not want continuous CTG monitoring unless medically necessary, please discuss this with us prior to it being organised.

BIRTH

EPISIOTOMY / TEAR
    I want to avoid an episiotomy unless there is a genuine medical emergency. I prefer a small tear to an episiotomy. I have done perineal massage during my pregnancy to condition the tissues and to learn how to relax with stretching. Please allow time for the perineum to stretch naturally and I would like warm compresses used to assist with this. If there is a medical need for an episiotomy, please discuss this with Y and myself prior to making any incision.

CUTTING THE CORD
    After the birth of our child, I want to delay clamping and cutting of the umbilical cord until after it has ceased pulsing, to allow my baby to receive the valuable blood and iron stores.

SYNTOCINON
    I would like to birth the placenta naturally without drugs (although I may request differently on the day). If there is a medical need to hasten this process, please discuss the options with myself and Y prior to acting.

AFTER BIRTH
    All newborn procedures (weighing and measuring) are to wait until after I have had time to bond with and breastfeed our baby.

I would prefer to not have our baby taken from my sight. If there is a medical necessity for our baby to be taken to a different room, Y will go with the baby.

If for some reason I am unable to hold my baby I would like only my husband Y to hold our baby until I am fit and able. Y would like to have skin to skin contact with our baby.

If there is a need for me to be separated from our baby after birth, I would like photos of the baby as soon as possible. Photos to also include babies hands and feet.

If baby and I are to be separated for an extended period of time, please notify my Mum, A on XXXX XXXX and ask her to come be with me.

BREASTFEEDING
    It is my intention to breastfeed, and I have attended a class on breastfeeding, and joined the Australian Breastfeeding Association to prepare myself as best as possible. I am open to receiving advice from midwives and other medical staff, but do not wish health care providers to touch my breasts or other parts of my body, prior to discussing this with me and seeking my permission.

VITAMIN K
    Unless forceps or a C-section has been required, or the birth has been very long and traumatic, we would prefer for our baby not to receive a vitamin K injection. If it is decided there is a medical need for this injection, please discuss this with us prior to giving this injection.

HEPATITIS B
    We do not give consent for our child to be given a vaccine against Hepatitis B.

NEWBORN SCREENING
    We are happy for our child to have a heel pr!ck for the purpose of newborn screening.

INDUCTION / AUGMENTATION

If baby and I are well, I would like my baby to decide his/her own due date. I am happy to discuss a plan should my pregnancy reach the end of term at 42 weeks.

I will try natural means to get labour started- i.e. acupuncture, walking, nipple stimulation.

WATERS
    I would like my waters to break naturally.

CAESAREAN BIRTH
    If a caesarean becomes necessary I’d like:

For my partner to be with me at all times. I would ideally like to be informed as much as possible what is going on at all times.

Unless prevented by medical emergency, I would like my baby to be placed on my chest skin to skin with a blanket covering us while you complete the procedure.

To be sure that a double layer suture is used and not a single layer in order to improve my chances for a future VBAC.

For the cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut.

The opportunity to breastfeed our baby in recovery.

OTHER
    The above plan represents our preferences; however we recognise that in the event of unforeseen difficulties it may need to be re-negotiated.

Please discuss all options with us honestly and openly. We would then like the opportunity to contemplate our options without the presence of any medical staff.
    This is my plan so far. I have 'borrowed' from many of the plans here. I would love any input you have.

Thanks,
    Last edited by HotI; March 10th, 2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: adjusting following feedback

My birth plan should be pretty easy considering i'm having an elective c-s

I would like to be put into a timeslot as early as possible in the morning

I want to have the spinal epidural and to be awake.

I do not consent to having blood transfusions if it is deemed necessary. I do accept the alternatives to blood such as non-blood expanders and pharmaceuticals that control haemorrhage and stimulate the production of red blood cells. Or as an alternative to these, i would like the use of the cell-saver in case of emergency.

I would like the Misgav Ladach method cut to be performed.

I would like to spend a few minutes holding bub before being taken away.

I would like DH to be with me throughout.

DH to cut the cord.

DH is to stay with bub while midwife is cleaning and checking bubs apgar scores.

I do not want the placenta to be returned to me but I would like confirmation that it has been removed in whole before being sutured.

I absolutely DO NOT consent to the hepatis B injection for my baby or any other immunisations.

I DO consent to the vitamin K injection by oral dose only.

I do not want staples to be used for my stitching but prefer tape.

If Bub and DH can be in the recovery room with me, i would prefer this as i would like to try to bf. If its not possible then Im happy to wait until i am moved back into my room.

that should just about do it.
    Last edited by Peg; March 29th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Default Re: Share your birth intentions (birth plan)

Having just completed Rhea Dempsey's birth classes, I've drafted my Birth Plan with her pointers. I'll be at the Mercy Birth Centre, so there is already a presumption of low intervention (meaning, I don't need to cover it too heavily in my Preferences).

Here tis:

Birth Preferences for XXX

Support:
    DH (husband)
    C (Doula)

We are expecting our first baby, a boy!
    DH and I hope for natural, gentle physiological birth and have prepared ourselves for this process. We respect the experience and knowledge of the Midwives and our Doula, who will assist us in our birthing experience.

These things are important to us during my labour and birth:

I do not want to be offered gas or pethidine (I know what is available, and will ask for it if I need it).

I will aim to use natural alternatives for pain management:
    Water (bath preferred even if post rupture of membranes)
    Massage and acupressure
    Heat and cold
    Self-hypnosis/visualisation
    Breath and Vocalising
    Positioning
    Safe and quiet environment
    Access to beanbags, cushions, mats, fit ball in my room so position change is enabled
    Our TENS Machine.

We will not accept visitors during labour or birth.

I would like privacy with my partner when requested.

I do not wish to have any vaginal examinations unless there are medical reasons, which I would like explained to me.

I would prefer to tear naturally rather than have an episiotomy, but would welcome assistance in preventing tearing.

We request Doppler monitoring rather that CTG. If further monitoring is required we would prefer telemetry unit so as to remain active.

I would like an unhurried second stage, and to wait for the urge to push.

Depending on position and circumstance, DH may catch our baby and pass him to me.

We would prefer a natural physiological third stage, unless there is medical indication to deliver my placenta promptly.

We would like to cut the cord ourselves, once the placenta has been delivered, unless there is a medical reason to cut it sooner.

We request that vitamin K is administered orally and we do NOT want our baby to be administered the Hep B vaccination.

If a caesarean section is required, I do not want to be separated from our baby, and wish to have him in Recovery with me, until I am transferred to the postnatal ward.

If the baby needs to taken away for medical reasons, then DH will be with the baby at all times, and C will remain with me.

How'd I do? Can anyone see anything I've missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone1 View Post
    I do not wish to have any vaginal examinations unless there are medical reasons, which I would like explained to me.

We would prefer a natural physiological third stage, unless there is medical indication to deliver my placenta promptly.
    Hi

Have you talked to staff at the birthing centre about your plan, particularly these two? Just wondering if Mercy is supportive of these options.

Ta,

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Kate07 View Post
    Hi

Have you talked to staff at the birthing centre about your plan, particularly these two? Just wondering if Mercy is supportive of these options.

Ta,

Kate
    Good question! We're heading to the hospital birth classes next week and will ask them then. I'm open to both VEs and a managed third stage, but they'll need to justify to me...will see what sort of reaction I get. Rhea Dempsey certainly gave us the impression that both VEs and a managed third stage are the "norm" and that "opting out" will be something we'll need to be assertive about. I'll let you know!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast