Thread: Silly Midwife! Hope I don't get her!

Default Silly Midwife! Hope I don't get her!

I was at work the other day when a client came in with her goat. I commented on the size of the goat & if she was about to pop. Yep she is due in 3 weeks. I laughed and said Oh really, me too! She commented on how small I was & how I don't look as uncomfortable as the goat. I said ah its all good! She then said the birth will be a different story & at the first sign of any pain "GO THE EPIDURAL!". I said Oh no, you wont get that near me, this is 3rd time round, I know what I am doing. She then went on to ask where I was having the baby & then said "Oh well I am a midwife I might see you there!"

Gee, I bloody hope not! Imagine telling someone that an epidural was the only way to cope with childbirth! And she was a midwife!

Silly thing....sounds like the midwife in my above thread! When I mentioned trying for a natural labour she immediately started telling me I didnt' have any idea about the pain of childbirth blah blah blah.....and a few other things. Not at all encouraging!

I'm glad you know what you're doing.....share your wisdom and let's hope you birth before me!!!

Share my wisdom? Mmm Ok, Yes it hurts. BUT my 2st have been on the more "painful end of the scale" because my first was induced & my body had no chance to "prepare" for it. I feel as though it got thrown into it too early.
    Alot of fear played a big part in the birth of my first, because it was the un known.
    My 2nd was also painful because Glenn was Posteriour. Yet I managed with no pain medications. he worst part for me is the actual crowning of the head. My best was to describe it, is like having a HOT iron pressed against your vagina. It was a burning sting. But I think the feeling of relief once the head is out is just as good as it was painful.

This time round I have learnt about hypno birthing. While I don't feel I am going to go into this labour with a painless birth at the end. I understand why & how it all worrks a bit better & I think I will be able to go with the flow as such. If you haven't already, do a crash course on how hypnobirthing works. Even just having an understanding on what the uterus does in labour I think will help me heaps.
    Avoid harbouring on "bad" birthing experiences & just focus on the fact what your body is doing is NATURAL. Your uterus is only doing its job, so why should it hurt so much? Fear & tension is what make it as "painful" as people say it is.

chelleg Guest

:eek: I'm speechless!! Maybe she trained in America where EVERYONE has epidurals and syntocinon! I remember one night i was watching that horrid 'Maternity Ward' show on Foxtel and one of the 'Obstetric Nurses' as they call themselves was looking after a young girl who wanted a natural no pain relief birth. She said "This is going to be difficult because she doesn't want an epidural so i'm going to have to try and be really creative". I was like :eek: Her being creative is what we do naturally. LOL Hmmmm hope there are no American Obstetric nurses perusing this forum

I will have to remember to check what her name is next time I am at work & make a note of it. If I am unlucky enough to have her, I will be making it clear that she is NOT TO OFFER pain relief.