Thread: Sister in law admitted to day ward

Question Sister in law admitted to day ward

Hi girls

My sister in law has been admitted into a day ward today. She was due last saturday. now im not supposed to know she is in hospital, but i tried calling her today, to make sure she is okay (she is on her own). as there was no answer, i called the hospital and they said she was admitted to a day ward. is this normal? or if she was actually labour shed be in a maternity ward...or am i wrong?

i know this is a very broad question, but she doesnt want anyone at the hospital whilst shes in labour, but if there is something wrong and thats why she is in a day ward, then im thinking, maybe i should think about at least calling her...

any suggestions?

I'm not sure about what it means but could you call and explain the situation and get them to pass on a message to her from you? That way she might be able to call you back or tell them to put the call through if you call again? and I hope she is ok.

When my waters broke and I didn't go into labour I was admitted to a the ante-natal ward. There wasn't anything wrong with me but I wasn't in labour either and once I reached the point where they started giving me ABs they didn't trust me to turn up at the hospital at the right times so they admitted me.
    Can you call her on her mobile? Or ask the nurse to pass on a message?

Yep, have a msg taken in... she'll then call if she wants you, and already knows your willing to go help or talk. Let her know your there if needed, but you wont intrude otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    I'm not sure about what it means but could you call and explain the situation and get them to pass on a message to her from you? That way she might be able to call you back or tell them to put the call through if you call again? and I hope she is ok.
    Thanks. She was very firm on no-one seeing or speaking to her until she actually had the baby. ive been keeping a close eye on her and calling her each day as she is getting very lonely/scared, and i figured if i called and she didnt answer, and then i called the hospital and she wasnt there, that i would go around and check on her.

i really just want to know : when you go into labour, do they put you in a day ward until you progress to a certain point and then they transfer you? or do you usually only get admitted to a day ward as a precautionary thing ie high blood pressure etc?

any idea?

I was admitted due to high BP at one point. It may just be that she is in for observation. I left the hospital the next day, and gave birth 3 days later. I'm sure if there was something wrong you would know about it.
    I'd respect her privacy if she's made it very clear

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Niadla*~ View Post
    I was admitted due to high BP at one point. It may just be that she is in for observation. I left the hospital the next day, and gave birth 3 days later. I'm sure if there was something wrong you would know about it.
    I'd respect her privacy if she's made it very clear
    Thanks. I agree, I am respecting her privacy - well as far as not making contact with her. But if there was something wrong, and there was no-one with her, I would have thought about calling and leaving a message with a nurse. But for now, sounds like probably not too much to worry about, so I will let her be.

Thanks girls for your help, much appreciated!

It also depends on the hospital. I was admitted to a day centre for monitoring when my waters broke 6 days post EDD (I wasn't having contractions). I was discharged 5 hours later.
    However, a friend of mine gave birth in a major public hospital in Melbourne and was admitted to a kind of day centre until she was ready to push. I had to take my DD to emergency at that same hospital when she was 10 days old and overheard a woman who was in the emergency room labouring until she was ready to push and was then transfered to the delivery room... so, I guess it depends on the hospital.

Good on you for looking out for her whilst still respecting her wishes!

MG