Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water breaking after established labour has begun

Default water breaking after established labour has begun

Just out of interest I was wondering how many of you have gone into labour BEFORE your waters broke??

How close were contractions before your water broke and did youy go to the hospital before they broke??

My DP has been sitting around waiting for the baby to engage and was surprised when I told him that she didnt need to before I go into labour it can happen when I do go into labour..... he is worried now because I have been having all these pre-labour symptoms and he has booked in meetings for the next two weeks at work (I warned him not to)

And I am really waiting for the tell tale water breaking before I worry but it occurred to me this morning after a looooooonnnnnggggg night of pains and no sleep that I probably shouldn't be waiting for water to trickle down my leg and focus more on contractions (which have seemingly subsided in the last half an hour or so)

my waters have always needed to be art/ broken. 2 out 3 where when I was at the pushing stage so don't rely on the water breaking first.

With my first, I had been in established labour for about 2 hours by the time I got to hossy. There was a fill-in ob there and he broke my waters without even telling me he was going to .

With my second, I lost my plug at the same time that I started to feel the need to push - I was fully dilated by that point. My ob then broke my waters but in hindsight I wish she hadn't. I have just recently read that you can birth babies without the waters breaking. Although chances are it would have happened naturally about the same time she did it anyway.

Hi smudgie

I was fully dilated (10cm) and my waters broke then. I wasnt allowed to push yet (due to being in a ambulance and only 30 minutes from the hospital).
    So yes wouldnt bet on your waters breaking as a sign as a lot of womens dont actually berak and need to be broken for them!

As for establised Labour (4cm onwards ) it was about 4 hours b4 my waters broke and bub was delivered 30minutes after

Same as PP. Out of a 5 hr labour my waters broke with Jacob just 30 mins before he was born. And that's the first time ever! lol. Other times they were broken.

I think I've read that water break before contractions about 1/4 of the time. Although in movies and on TV it seems to be 100% of the time....

First labour - water broken but I was already well on the way.

I can't remember when waters broke with DS but Im sure it was only minutes before he was born.
    DD2, I could actually feel the membranes bulge and pop just before he head came out - I was in the water for that one.

So my waters have never broken before labour!

First labour, waters broke before labour started. Well labour didn't actually start, I had to be induced.
    Second labour, I was already in established labour for 5 hours, was 5cm dilated, and midwife broke my waters, Bub was born 50 min later.

I lost my plug first and was well into established labour when my waters broke! (I was 8cms!)
    All the best for your upcoming birth

With two of my three births the waters broke just before I had the urge to push after a long labour, with my third I was induced at 10 days over by having my waters broken. With my 2nd and 3rd bubs I would seem to be awake every night for about a week or more in pain thinking I wish this was it but I seemed to go over due each time. It really is a guessing game when these little ones will come. I wish you all the best, not long to go now

With bub #3 i went into labour and my contractions started at 3 minutes apart, i'd been in labour for 2 hours and at the hospital for half an hour before my water broke

Smudgie from what I've read only 15% of labours begin with the membranes rupturing.
    I was in labour for 11 1/2 hours before my waters broke.

Contractions went from
    8-10 mins apart; 5-9am
    5-7 mins apart; 9-11am
    3-4 mins apart; 11am - 4:30pm when waters broke
    I went to the hospital at 7pm.

I would have been in "established labour" (past 4cm) sometime around 3pm but had contractions steady the whole way through.

Had my waters broken with 2 of mine, but with 3 of them, they broke just as I needed to push, so only minutes before birth.

I could feel them bulging, and when they broke with DS3, I yelled " he fell on the floor" because they broke so hard I thought it was the baby. His head was out next push!!!

Smudgie with my dd my waters broke while sleeping and i had no contractions for an hour or more. But this time with ds i lost my plug the day before i went into labour at 3am next morning went into hospital at 5am when contractions were 5 min apart but my water never broke until about an hour before i had ds, which was helped by an internal examination from ob. Good luck.

first labour my water broke before labour started(after having the induction gel put in). Actually labour didnt start, i had to have the drip put in and that was 10 hours after they broke. I was about 2cms dilated.

second labour started with contractions 5 minutes apart and my water broke about 30 minutes after labour started. I was about 2-3cms then.

I lost my plug and was in established labour 3hrs later. After 17hrs I birthed bubba and the waters still intact.

I was in labour for 19 hours and my waters hadn't broken after about 17 hours (I was 10cm) so I let them break them. I thought that they had to break before Bubs could be born (duh) but didnt' realise that could mean only a few seconds before bubs arrived! My stomach was sooo tight and having them broken was a relief, I must say. Not that it sped up labour.

This time I wont get them broken...I think! Unless I'm 10cm and very uncomfortable.

I think only about 10% of women will start labour with waters breaking. Most will have contractions and the waters break later.
    Certainly most of the labours I've supported have been that way.
    My own though, waters broke at the beginning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast