Thread: My pros and cons for induced vs spontaneous labour

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Default My pros and cons for induced vs spontaneous labour

Since going into labour both spontaneously and via induction I am now facing a huge dilemma in relation to how I go into labour this time.

Please remember that these pros and cons are purely from my point of view and they are not right nor wrong for anyone else, just how I am feeling at the moment, so any comments would be welcome.

A little bit of history: Labour No 1, I had three and a half days of on and off again labour resulting in 2 trips to the hospital only to be sent home, no sleep for over 72 hours, epidural, absolute exhaustion resulting in a high forcep delivery and 2nd degree tear, going into shock and not remembering the first 1 and a half hours of my sons life, difficulting bonding and PND.

Labour No 2 - My request to be induced at 39 weeks as I was living more than an hour away from the hospital at the time, I had a 4 and a half hour labour, found the contractions manageable with just gas, 16 mins of pushing, episiotomy, but up and showered within 30 mins of giving birth, quicker recovery, bonded alot better with baby.

Now - my pros and cons for each are:

Spontaneous:

Pros: Baby comes when it is ready
    No need for constant monitoring allowing me to be more active during the labour and birth, hopefully resulting in no need for an epiz or tear
    Cons: I am scared witless of another long drawn out labour, and this in turns worries me that I will hinder my own progress.
    That another long labour will result in a longer recovery and more than likely PND (as I am struggling with this already)
    That I will stress about getting the boys looked after at short notice.

Induced:

Pros: I loved my induced labour execpt for the stitches, but everything else was great and I felt very much in control.
    Was able to arrange childcare and have DH home for it.
    It showed me how wanderful giving birth can be.
    It was short and I did not feel completely and utterly exhausted after it.

Cons: More constant monitoring resulting in restriction of movements and possibly another epiz
    Possibly more intense contractions (However I still think that my 1st labour was worse in intensity)

I know there are also lots of medical pros and cons, but these are the issues for me at the moment.

I think everyone's experiences are so different that only you can decide whats best for you. In my case #1 was induced- labour went from nothing to full on intense pain and stayed that way for 8 hours then after pushing unsuccesfully for 2 hours I had an episiotomy and forceps.
    #2 came naturally- what a difference! Labour started gradually and I stayed at home pottering around all day then went to hospital for the last 7 hours, but this was not all intense labour, I was able to walk around, have a bath etc. Bubs was born with no intervention and no stitches! I felt on top of the world afterwards cause it was so much easier.
    #3- induction, took 3hrs 20 mins from first contraction to birth but that was frightening in its intensity, I was really scared cause it was really painful and very fast. Poor bubs was born bruised all over his head and face. I didn't have stitches this time either but I was begging them to use forceps at the end LOL.
    For me inductions are not something I enjoy but as I said everyone is different. Go with what's best for you.

Relle - I had the complete opposite.
    1st birth - induced, and THE worst experience of my life,except I now have my beautiful daughter.
    2nd birth - spontaneous, and same as you
    I had a 4 and a half hour labour, found the contractions manageable with just gas, 16 mins of pushing, ... but up and showered within 30 mins of giving birth, quicker recovery, bonded alot better with baby.
    So it might be more to do with it being the 2nd birth and you and your body knowing what to do!

I would totally recommend against an induction unless advised by your obstritician. Just my opinion, but I feel it passionately. However, if you are going to be stressed and not in a good mental state if you don't have the induction then maybe you should?

Debbie Lee Guest

Relle - I personally had a rotten experience with induction and have said that they'd have to knock me out before they try to do it again!
    However, everyone is different.
    My question would be - what if the induction doesn't go as smoothly next time (if you do decide to go down that path?). Being your 3rd, perhaps going into labour on your own won't be as painful and long because your body knows what it is doing (and you know what to expect?).

Relle - I'm with the others. Perhaps the second labour wasn't the way it was because of the induction, but because it was your second time?
    I personally rated going into labour naturally, sure there are things to figure out, but it is do-able, and if you end up having to take your kids to hossy with you for a quick labour - is that the worst possible scenario?

Have confidence - I reckon you might do a lot better than you realise

Myself & friends that have had inductions all feel (from our personal experiences) that we'd never want to go through that again. I ended up with a C/S anyway (undiag breech) which would've been the same either way, however the pain was bearable before the drip, then OMG, gas, peth, epi, not at all manageable.

I too am fearing #2, but mainly coz want VBAC & spontaneous = 1/200 chance of uterine rupture whereas induction = 1/40 chance, & I most certainly don't want that.

I've heard from many people though that subsequent births are easier as ur body knows what to do, but I'm yet to find that out LOL.

But as the others said, it can be a very diff experience for 1 compared to another.

Debbie Lee Guest

Shell - did you know the chance of uterine rupture with a caesar is pretty high too? I dunno the stats but I found that interesting when researching my VBAC. I found it reassuring in a way to know the risks for uterine rupture during a VBAC is similar to that of having another caesar

Sorry... hijacking the thread

Relle, I think you need to do what you think you can cope with emotionally. The birth of a baby can be unpredictable and I think that if you choose to have another induction, then you are somewhat in control of the situation. I do agree that Cooper's birth was a combination of you being more informed from the first time and being a second birth.

I know you are smart enough to know what the other possible outcomes of an induced birth can be, so this isn't a decision you have taken on lightly. I know you will make the right choice for you and your baby Relle.

Ultimately it's your decision to make.
    I was induced with both of my babies - the first birth was good, it was long but I rated it as a positive experience.
    When it was suggested to me that I should be induced again with my second I agreed to it because my first experience was so positive.
    For me it was a big mistake. I was induced at 38 weeks, my body wasn't ready, my baby wasn't ready (he was malpositioned) and I ended up with an emergency c/section for my second child. Not the outcome I wanted at all.
    Just saying this to point out that even though you get through one induction ok, don't let that diminish your sense of the risks involved. Doing it again still carries all the same risks (ie. interventions and high caesar rate).
    Good luck with your decision.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Thanks so much for your replies ladies! I was really really badly traumatised after my first birth which was the spontaneous, so I was very focused on having a completely different outcome the second time which I did.

I have now decided that I will try for spontaneous ( I have a very supportive OB, so it is not a problem as far as he is concerned) and will be making sure I am well supported with the birth. To be honest that actually delivery does not concern me, just a long drawn out labour, and with my first I did not feel that I had enough support. 2nd I had a friend with me as well as DH and she was awesome, and have now arranged for a support person for this, so fingers crossed this birth will be the best yet!

Debbie Lee Guest

That's great Relle. I really think having a supportive caregiver (be it a friend, doula, midwife, OB - someone there for YOU) has gotta make the whole experience a hell of a lot better. Good luck and I wish you a smooth, safe and empowering birth experience!

WTG Relle, hope it turns out to be a great birth whatever happens (well a baby in the end is a great birth, PMSL). I'm actually considering a support person this time round too now, haven't discussed with DH though.

Ooh thnx for that info Debbie, I'll certainly be asking this at my next obgyn aptmt, that makes me feel better.

Flea, hmm, wonder if my 1st was coming b4 my body was ready then, as waters were leaking 12-13days prior to EDD. Both sis & mum had short natural labours (& were all overdue). Never thought of that.

Relle sweets, I am so glad you have come to the choice that you have. I was reticent to "advise" you as I know you had a grat 2nd birth.

And even though I know all women are different, I think you will have an amazing 3rd birth and you will be SO SO proud of yourself for doing it without induction.

And you know I will be cheering you on.........for your best birth yet! xx

Relle, glad to see you have come to a decision. I think you will find that this time will be different and you will be more aware of what is going to happen and what can happen.

Power to you Hun!

Relle - I was totally focussed on having a different outcome the second time too, (see my previous post) and had lots of hypnobirthing sessions before hand. I think this is what probably makes the difference, I'm glad you could make a decision, and good luck with the birth -ALL THE BEST! (so exciting!!)