Thread: Waterbirth at Birth Centres

Matryoshka Guest

Default Waterbirth at Birth Centres

I know at mine and most birth centres they do not "do" a water birth but apparently they cannot tell you to get out.

So in this case, are they prepared at all if the baby comes out under water? (in the bath)

Also if things like gas and morphine are used is this not recommended?

I'm under the impression that gas IS a drug.

You'll probably find that they are prepared for a waterbirth, they just don't allow you to plan for one. It's a stupid system, I know. Even in the public system, most hospitals I have been involved with have recently introduced a Waterbirth policy, to be used in the event of an "accidental" waterbirth.

And yes, nitrous oxide is considered a drug, but it is processed so quick by the mother that the baby is exposed to negligible amounts of it.

Matryoshka Guest

so would the gas make the baby born under water dangerous at all? and what about morphine? or are the risks the same as out of water?

The gas wouldnt' affect bub but the morphine would. In fact you wouldn't be allowed to have morphine in the water in any case.

If you truelly want a waterbirth and your birth centre doesn't "allow" it, there are a few things that you can try.

You can position your bum over the plug so no one can get near it. Or you can take your own plug from home in. Legally the nurses and Dr's are not allowed to touch your belongings. So if they try to remove your plug from the bath you can have them charged. Not saying that you have to go this far but it's food for thought.

Also if you are really wanting a waterbirth is it possible for you to find a hosp that "allows" them nearby ? OR.... You can always have a homebirth

Matryoshka Guest

I'm really not sure i want a waterbirth, because last time i just didn't want to get in the bath... i did plan to use the bath i just didn't want to when the time came! So basically i'm just getting info for when the time comes...

hey Ourlux

I had an 'accidental' hospital water birth with Jay...I was in the bath and sucking on the gas...ooohhh I lurved that gas ...and he birthed before I pushed

Trish...love your suggestions just what I was thinking

and if you are relaxed enough you dont get that overwhelming urge to push until the baby is about to be promptly birthed ...this is how I happened to be in the bath, so relaxed, no pushing and ooops there is my baby's head between my legs...Yay

xx yogababy

LOL Natalie. We sound like a good pair hun. I never really got that urge with Abbey, I found it hard to believe I was that close to birthing as I had no urge at all.

Matryoshka Guest

So in that case would i tell them or can they see? what happens then? do they get the baby out or would i pick it up?

hey Ourlux

as a m/w you really cant see whats going on down there if the woman is in a sitting, squatting position...so the only way we would know is if the woman told us (like I did...my baby's head is out) or if she starts to make the pushy noises

in most cases I would think that the m/w would simply birth the baby as per normal and bring them up and out of the water without delay

waterbirth is the same process as airbirth...its just that the medical profession have attached a stigma to it...babies do not take the first breath until 'born' out of the water

if your interested i have a lot of information on waterbirth...its interesting even if you are not planning one

oh and you certainly do not have to be 'alternative' to have a water birth...I love my research based facts, and this is the basis of all my teaching...and I am pretty conservative (personally and professionally) if required

xx yogababy

Matryoshka Guest

Thanks Natalie.... so why do people always say the risk of drowning if the baby does not breathe until out of the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Ourlux View Post
    Thanks Natalie.... so why do people always say the risk of drowning if the baby does not breathe until out of the water?
    Because they don't know that fact. However, it does help to consider that the baby doesn't try to breathe inside you, either - it is the change in pressure from the environment inside the womb to that outside that triggers the breathing process to start, and the fetal circulation to begin changing over to neonatal circulation. So, when the baby is born into water - specifically warm water, around 37 degrees, and is not brought to the surface - these changes won't take place.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

... and something to bear in mind which does happen - if you hit 42 weeks you get kicked out of BCs and get put through the hospital system with intervention.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Yep I got kicked out of the birthing centre with DD as cause I was induced soI couldnt do a water birth.. this time im planning on it& just pray I dont go over 42 weeks so I can have it..

Can you just have a doula at your place for a water birth or do you have to have a M/W?

supreme Guest

You can freebirth with a doula if you can find one to do it
    An independant midwife will allow a water birth at 44 weeks at home if you want LOL most MW attended homebirths happen in pools

Hey Ourlux

the fear of the baby 'drowning' as a result of water birth is a common misconception...and as Michael indicated the baby does not take a breath in the water environment as there is not enough of an environmental change to stimulate the first breath (stimulated by touch, light, sound and change in temperature)...in fact if a baby is left under water they would not drown but rather asphyxiate (did I spell that correctly?)...its is also the surface tension of the water that inhibits the first breath

another common misconception is that the water does have to be at a specific temp (sorry Michael )...health care providers try to monitor the water temp, as another means of control in the labor/birth process...
    research actually indicates that the laboring women as the temperature regulator of the water temp, will adjust it to meet her own needs...remember that the mother controls the thermodynamics for her baby in utero

women do birth in the ocean (another thread somewhere touches on this about hot/cold as pain relief on the peri)...and still the baby will not drown as the mother births them out of the water promptly after delivery...

xx yogababy

Matryoshka Guest

Thank you so much Natalie, you are such a wealth of information! I also just noticed your location, are you in WA???

We are definately certain we do not want to attempt a home birth, but the idea of water still appeals so using the bath is something i want to try again this time despite not wanting it last time. This pregnancy has been hugely different for me so i expect the birth may be too, so who knows!

My birth centre does waterbirths. That's how Riv was born. It is a bit harder for them to see when you're in water, they suspect he *may* have been born posterior, but we'll never know for sure! I definitely carried him posterior but who knows if he turned or not.

As far as I know (I was a bit out of it, good ol labour hormones!) he was brought to the surface and placed straight on my chest/tummy. I think I could have had gas in the water if I'd wanted, but I think that's it. You might find though, that if you're torn, they'll pull you out of the water - as in, because of the water, they couldn't tell how much blood I was losing, and wanted to check it out. So I didn't birth the placenta in the water, they gave me the injection to birth the placenta so they could stitch me up. That wasn't on my birth preferences, but I trusted them and my birth support partners to do what was best.

Anyway, I can't imagine a birth centre being unprepared for a water birth. Whatever makes you most relaxed and comfortable I reckon!

Oh, and just a thought, I remember having gas for my stitches and thinking I could almost pass out...but I'm guessing that for a waterbirth pain relief, you'd have a lower dosage of gas, so you'd be more alert...I mean, they don't want you to slip under! So I guess the gas might just be enough to take the edge off, or help you focus on your breathing.
    For me, the water itself was pain relief enough - it was brilliant!

I am in WA...and travel to Perth once a month or so to facilitate workshops for expectant couples and new mums

xx