Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waters Breaking?

Default Waters Breaking?

I thought I'd seen some stuff about this in here somewhere before but of course, now I can't find it...

Anyway, this morning as I rolled over in bed I felt a small gush of clear fluid (sorry if TMI but I'm guessing a tablespoon full or so) and jumped out of bed. I had a couple more tiny dribbles but so far (half an hour later) nothing else...

When your waters break, is it always a big gush and very obvious or could this be part of it!? I have no clue and can't find anything on the net yet...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

This explains all about waters breaking here. If it is your waters, it could still take some time for contractions to establish, so stay home as long as you can negotiate as labours tend to slow or stall in hospital with the change of environment, and tend to happen quicker at home. The article will explain more, but sounds like it could be it Sometimes women go into hospital early perhaps subconciously thinking the baby will be born quicker but it's often the opposite, unless you get pressure for augmentation (speeding up labour with a drip) as you have been there a while. They usually offer 24-48hours with your water broken due to an increased infection risk.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; September 8th, 2006 at 08:21 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Sherie, if it is the start of it, good luck and I know you will do brilliantly. Can't wait to see you post in birth announcements...

Thanks Kelly! Wow, it does sound like it could be it!!

I'm still searching the net and have found a few other bits that sound like me too...still says it could be days away for labour though...

Thanks Sherie! I'll be sure to let everyone know when I'm out of hospital! Gosh, it's exciting to think that this could be the start of it!!!!

I know, it is very exciting, but try not to get upset if it takes a while to get going, which will be hard I know, but it will happen.

Now I can't wait to have our meet so I can see him LOL.

My waters broke with a pop a gush & then continue as a slow trickle for a day & a half, I started panicking when I was into my secoind day, no sleep (for contractions) but they werent really strong & seemed to come & go over the courrse of the day & I was exhausted, so try to rest now as you do need lot's of energy when in hospital.

I ended up being induced (I went in to hospital too early) as long as fluid is clear & not green (which mine started to become) then all is well to stay at home as long as labour is truly established!!!

Woo hoo

Thanks Kate!

Thanks Tracey! I will try and rest as much as possible today...might be a good day to watch re-runs of Friends all day...

beastie Guest

sherie, good luck!! have a wonderful birth

Sherie, if you can go for a gentle walk - will help that baby get pressure going on the cervix Don't overdo it, but walking is great, and even some stairs if you have some. Helps the pelvis move in directions to help the baby get into a good pozzie
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks Beastie!

Thanks Kelly! I might try walking... No stairs anywhere near me though.

I'm having strong period like cramps every 5 - 8 minutes at the moment...not overly painful but enough to know it's definitely there...I'm hoping to go for a nap and see if I can sleep through a bit of it. And I've got a bit of lower back pain too... It all sounds like part of it! Woah!

beastie Guest

sherie, take a bath... if your pain is strengthen.... pack your bag

Yeah, I walked more the day I was in labour with Indah than I ever have & I walked up the stairs at the hospital when we arrived too, the midwives were yelling out that there was a lift & I glared at them...

I mean once your finally nearing the end, the last thing you want is to take the easy way out & have the labour stop!!

Gooooood Luck!!!!

YAY sounds great Sherie - usually contractions do start fairly quickly but not all the time, you are a lucky one Definitely get walking and help move things along so you wont be pushed for a drip Once they are about 1&1/2 mins long about about 3 mins apart, they are the good stuff A bath can slow things down and make you sleepy - so I think best to keep active at this stage. If you want to use water, jump in the shower
    Kelly xx

Kirsty77 Guest

Wow its finally all happening!! Goodluck hun!!

Kelly my contractions were 3 mins apart with Indah right from the beginning (7am) but didnt get stronger, til about 8pm that night!

It's all so exciting!!!!

The length of them is important tho, time between is good but you really want long, opening contrax. My last birth mum called me was 3mins apart, went to birth centre 1.30pm babe born 2.04.
    Kelly xx

Ooooooh, so can contractions actually not be painful at the start?! I know these 'cramps' or 'contractions' are getting stronger (so much so that I have to stop what I'm doing now). I thought that everywhere I've read it has said 'you'll definitely know by the pain when you're in labour'...

Hehe, I have so much I want to do today but I don't think I'm going to get much done after all.

Yep thats right! Try and keep it normal though, do your normal routine and distract yourself, time will fly that way! Don't wait for it to happen!!!!
    Kelly xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast